Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 136

Thread: Get a custom theme!

  1. #31
    jay. is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay. View Post
    Well, and maybe this is just me, but... I'd like to see the posts and headings off the page.
    Ya' lost me. Can you say that again in a lot of little words?
    Sorry. I'd like to see the posts background and thread/forum topics background to be differentiated by a color (a neutral tone) from the page background.

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Actually, I'm copying the designs of two of the leading (in terms of quality) webmaster forums -- seobook.com and seo.com. Both have white backgrounds.

    WebMasterWorld has a theme that looks like it escaped from the 1980's. DP has a theme that is a very slight modification of the vBulletin default. v7n had a somewhat decent theme, but now it's been so slathered with ads that it's almost unusable. Those are competitors I don't want to copy.
    I can't see seobook but, yes, you've pretty much cloned seo.com and webmasterworld.com is definitely a throw back. As antiquated as v7 looks it is easy on the eyes, ads or no ads.

    I guess you got what you set out to acheive. (; Although, I will say this.. If that is indeed you're comp, then it wouldn't really take much effort to jazz this place up and at least stand true to your content. Good advice, good reads, good training, good designs...

    What I was trying to get across about appeal is, althought the sites you mentioned are pretty drab and, quite ubviously and unfortunately, do not in any way share any of the core values of design advice and practice of it's own users, it is terribly frustrating to see and be a part of.

    I'm of the opinion that to compete against all those drab sites, you gota jazz this up. It seems to me that that fundemental flaw in all of them is one that you have an opertunity to overcome this early in netbuilders lifecycle.

  2. #32
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay. View Post
    I'd like to see the posts background and thread/forum topics background to be differentiated by a color (a neutral tone) from the page background.
    That looks like a good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay. View Post
    I guess you got what you set out to acheive. (; Although, I will say this.. If that is indeed you're comp, then it wouldn't really take much effort to jazz this place up and at least stand true to your content. Good advice, good reads, good training, good designs...

    What I was trying to get across about appeal is, althought the sites you mentioned are pretty drab and, quite ubviously and unfortunately, do not in any way share any of the core values of design advice and practice of it's own users, it is terribly frustrating to see and be a part of.

    I'm of the opinion that to compete against all those drab sites, you gota jazz this up. It seems to me that that fundemental flaw in all of them is one that you have an opertunity to overcome this early in netbuilders lifecycle.
    It looks like I screwed the pooch on this one. I think this is a great design, but you should see my IM messages. Our community members were pretty quick to disabuse me of that notion.

    Now though... the task is to figure out what our community members really want.

    Can you think of a vBulletin template that you really like?
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  3. #33
    Shenron's Avatar
    Shenron is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,900
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 548 Times in 368 Posts
    I like Namepros.com (except for the snowy background)

  4. #34
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    I like Namepros.com (except for the snowy background)
    Wait... I am now more confused than before -- NamePros uses a white background also.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  5. #35
    Mr.Bill's Avatar
    Mr.Bill is offline One is glad to be of service
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Redmond, Oregon
    Posts
    828
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 350 Times in 182 Posts
    They are still using there winter them

    Reverse IP Check ಠ_ಠ Proxy Sites
    <?php if ($youask == 'stupid question') { echo ('stupid answer'); } ?>

  6. #36
    5starpix's Avatar
    5starpix is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    1,710
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 227 Times in 164 Posts
    Well the actaul background of the page is snow, but the background for the content is white.

  7. #37
    Mr.Bill's Avatar
    Mr.Bill is offline One is glad to be of service
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Redmond, Oregon
    Posts
    828
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 350 Times in 182 Posts
    I still dont mind the current design on here. One forum I liked for the blues they used was qdoos.com only thing I never really liked was the red.

    Reverse IP Check ಠ_ಠ Proxy Sites
    <?php if ($youask == 'stupid question') { echo ('stupid answer'); } ?>

  8. #38
    5starpix's Avatar
    5starpix is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    1,710
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 227 Times in 164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
    I still dont mind the current design on here. One forum I liked for the blues they used was qdoos.com only thing I never really liked was the red.
    qdoos.com looks nice. It has that web 2.0 feel to it. I am currently using the default. I am thinking instead of white background, maybe a different light color might be nice.

  9. #39
    Shenron's Avatar
    Shenron is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,900
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 548 Times in 368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Wait... I am now more confused than before -- NamePros uses a white background also.
    I haven't complained about the white background

  10. #40
    Aquarezz's Avatar
    Aquarezz is offline Master Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,851
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    683
    Thanked 591 Times in 463 Posts
    QDoos is very nice! Except.. I don't like the sidebar...
    But I don't really like the blue which this forum is using...

    I'm using the default again
    It isn't so bad at all.. I prefer a free layout than above this one..

    So sorry Will.. but can be much better

    Greetz

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [WTB] custom wordpress theme
    By SonnyCooL in forum Themes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31 August, 2010, 07:49 AM
  2. Guide to Good Forums: Creating a Custom Theme
    By Macster in forum Community Building
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13 June, 2010, 23:16 PM
  3. Custom Theme
    By Sbfc_ in forum Community Building
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21 March, 2010, 11:58 AM
  4. [WTH] Buying Custom glype theme
    By Pumpylumpy in forum Services
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30 April, 2009, 16:04 PM
  5. [WTS] PR2 Design Blog, Aged Domain, Custom Theme
    By CoreyFreeman in forum Sites
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19 April, 2009, 23:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •