Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Post counts in the General Chat area

  1. #31
    GeeOne's Avatar
    GeeOne is offline Off topic forum - The Offwalk
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    offwalk.com
    Posts
    1,514
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 249 Times in 222 Posts

    Lightbulb

    Homebiz, I also post mostly only in GC and know other members who mostly post at GC and they are contributing good, may be some time the posts or threads not that good as this is kind of fun section.

    I believe its depend on the interest of the poster where he wants to post, and he must have the freedom to do so (as far as he/she is not spam) , IMO here also efforts are made to post as per the standard and culture of NB.

    I also agree here the members should not discourage or they may choose to leave.




    Quote Originally Posted by homebizseo View Post
    The general chat is the only reason I come to the forum. What is value to a forum anyway? That's one person's opinion. There should not be any post count at any of the forums if you start cherry picking. A lot of good posters quit netbuilders when the post count got removed from the politics and religion forums. I think Will invited me due to my outrageous comments I give from time to time in the P&R section not the BST section. The webmaster part of the forums is the same boring recycled stuff that is posted everywhere. The community is built in the General sections. If the General section grows the rest of the forums will explode. Try not to run off members by not implementing the rules throughout each forum the same.

    Regards, homebiz.

  2. #32
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    This thread has grown very interesting.

    Most of this is my fault, as the Referrer Contest has been a disaster.

    "General Chat" is great, inside a community. The problem is that many of the new folks from the Referrer Contest are not integrating into the community, they are spamming it.

    They are making 10 quick posts each and leaving. Often these posts are off-topic and written in a manner that resembles children's SMS messages.

    So, this is my fault and it's my responsibility to implement a solution. That's the next thread I'm going to visit...

    But.... aside from the Referrer Contest aspect of this... I am very interested in the discussion which this event sparked. I've had quite a few people contact me privately also. I am certainly learning a lot about what people are looking for in a webmaster forum.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  3. #33
    GeeOne's Avatar
    GeeOne is offline Off topic forum - The Offwalk
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    offwalk.com
    Posts
    1,514
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 249 Times in 222 Posts
    Will, hats off to you.

    You are rally honest person, do not worry we are with you!

    Rgds

  4. #34
    Loko's Avatar
    Loko is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    964
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked 347 Times in 241 Posts
    If I may make a suggestion;

    The discussion seems to be just about postcounts. We all like the General Chat which is a sure way to steam off a bit every now and then with some fun topics.
    On the other hand, NB is a webmasters forum so people who are new here are expecting webmaster related topics and so do I; I am always happy with (an effort to) interesting and quality topics and replies.

    The post count tells something (but of course, not all) about someones activity on the forum and since this is a webmaster forum, post counts should be webmaster related IMHO. In an extreme example, someone could have 2000 posts only related to favorite colors and chewing gum, this will not help anyone.

    Also consider that sooner or later perhaps, you will use NB as a professional venue for products and services. The post count will be then part of you Curriculum Vitae if you are offering. If you like it or not; if I had to chose between 2 persons offering the same service and considering all other factors equal, I would choose the one with the best ratio quality posts/post counts.

    That having said, I think there could be a General Chat Webmaster Related (into the main forum) and a General Chat Fun/Entertainment topics related forum, the latter not counting posts.

    At the moment, I find the situation a bit confusing because Webmaster and Fun topics are mixed in General Chat and General Chat/Entertainment.

    Don't get me wrong, I do like the General (fun) Chat and I think NB has already grown to a very nice community of friendly and interesting people. There will be a solution and either way, I will just go with the flow.

    Just my 2 eurocents.

  5. #35
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loko View Post
    That having said, I think there could be a General Chat Webmaster Related (into the main forum) and a General Chat Fun/Entertainment topics related forum, the latter not counting posts.

    At the moment, I find the situation a bit confusing because Webmaster and Fun topics are mixed in General Chat and General Chat/Entertainment
    I think we should stop creating new forums for general chat

    We already have general chat and NB lounge which are very similar

  6. #36
    Loko's Avatar
    Loko is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    964
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked 347 Times in 241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
    I think we should stop creating new forums for general chat

    We already have general chat and NB lounge which are very similar
    Agree. Perhaps we can change one into a dating forum

  7. #37
    GeeOne's Avatar
    GeeOne is offline Off topic forum - The Offwalk
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    offwalk.com
    Posts
    1,514
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 249 Times in 222 Posts
    The registred members who has joined it only knows that it is kind of GC.

    The guest watching for webmaster material can not make it like DPs of under ground section.

    Looking at the response I thking members like to countribute/post at NB Lounge Nx


    Quote Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
    I think we should stop creating new forums for general chat

    We already have general chat and NB lounge which are very similar

  8. #38
    Shenron's Avatar
    Shenron is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,900
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 548 Times in 368 Posts
    Netbuilders.org - We build the net <<< Have you seen this?

    Considering the latest developments of the forum (or at least parts of it) this couldn't be more (or should I say less) accurate.

    Why?

    99% of the internet is utter crap.

    I'm sorry if I sound a bit (maybe a lot) harsh, but I don't want to see NB turning into another useless spam place where people chit chat about whatever silly things coming up to their minds, just to hold a badge or a crown for "Spammer of the Year".

    THIS IS A WEBMASTERS FORUM.

    90% of webmasters want to make money online, this is what this forum is all about, how/why/when to make more money online and how can some of the other members help me/us out with it.
    Creating a community is obviously not easy, we all need to "talk" to each other and create confidence, know about each others preferences, how we've started in this "helly" biz, etc., but it's not about SPAMMING for whatever reason and try to get noticed for God knows why.

    Fortunately I've been where most of you are now, and I still wanna be where some of you are, but if there's one thing I've learned through the years is when I've been jumping enough not only to get noticed but to turn into a real PAIN IN THE ARSE for others.

    So what? What would I do?

    Option 1 - Don't count ANY post outside the Webmastering Area.
    Option 2 - Hide post counts completely. I hate badges and crowns.

    Here's my 2 cents.

  9. Thanked by:

    GameOver (12 May, 2009), Loko (12 May, 2009), sam (12 May, 2009)

  10. #39
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    Netbuilders.org - We build the net <<< Have you seen this?

    Considering the latest developments of the forum (or at least parts of it) this couldn't be more (or should I say less) accurate.

    Why?

    99% of the internet is utter crap.

    I'm sorry if I sound a bit (maybe a lot) harsh, but I don't want to see NB turning into another useless spam place where people chit chat about whatever silly things coming up to their minds, just to hold a badge or a crown for "Spammer of the Year".

    THIS IS A WEBMASTERS FORUM.

    90% of webmasters want to make money online, this is what this forum is all about, how/why/when to make more money online and how can some of the other members help me/us out with it.
    Creating a community is obviously not easy, we all need to "talk" to each other and create confidence, know about each others preferences, how we've started in this "helly" biz, etc., but it's not about SPAMMING for whatever reason and try to get noticed for God knows why.

    Fortunately I've been where most of you are now, and I still wanna be where some of you are, but if there's one thing I've learned through the years is when I've been jumping enough not only to get noticed but to turn into a real PAIN IN THE ARSE for others.

    So what? What would I do?

    Option 1 - Don't count ANY post outside the Webmastering Area.
    Option 2 - Hide post counts completely. I hate badges and crowns.

    Here's my 2 cents.
    Great Post, I agree with what you are saying here.

    I think we should try option 1 first and if nothing changes in 2-3 months then we should use option 2 as a backup.

  11. #40
    BlueCheri's Avatar
    BlueCheri is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Offwalk.com
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 55 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    Netbuilders.org - We build the net <<< Have you seen this?

    Considering the latest developments of the forum (or at least parts of it) this couldn't be more (or should I say less) accurate.

    Why?

    99% of the internet is utter crap.

    I'm sorry if I sound a bit (maybe a lot) harsh, but I don't want to see NB turning into another useless spam place where people chit chat about whatever silly things coming up to their minds, just to hold a badge or a crown for "Spammer of the Year".

    THIS IS A WEBMASTERS FORUM.

    90% of webmasters want to make money online, this is what this forum is all about, how/why/when to make more money online and how can some of the other members help me/us out with it.
    Creating a community is obviously not easy, we all need to "talk" to each other and create confidence, know about each others preferences, how we've started in this "helly" biz, etc., but it's not about SPAMMING for whatever reason and try to get noticed for God knows why.

    Fortunately I've been where most of you are now, and I still wanna be where some of you are, but if there's one thing I've learned through the years is when I've been jumping enough not only to get noticed but to turn into a real PAIN IN THE ARSE for others.

    So what? What would I do?

    Option 1 - Don't count ANY post outside the Webmastering Area.
    Option 2 - Hide post counts completely. I hate badges and crowns.

    Here's my 2 cents.
    Good post....I like your second option ,that can end all issues

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [WTB] General chat / discussion database
    By GeeOne in forum Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22 September, 2010, 12:26 PM
  2. General Proxy Discussion Chat Topic
    By Aquarezz in forum Web Proxies
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 7 September, 2009, 22:02 PM
  3. Post counts
    By GeeOne in forum Announcements and Suggestions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15 August, 2009, 05:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •