Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Site map?

  1. #1
    texashiker's Avatar
    texashiker is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts

    Site map?

    Is netbuilders submitting a sitemap to google webmaster tools?

  2. #2
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    We're not. The only real purpose of XML sitemaps is to work around crawlability problems, and we have no problems with crawlability.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  3. #3
    Sundance's Avatar
    Sundance is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Do you still get to see all the cool stats in the GWT even if you don't have a sitemap?
    Xbox 720 Next Generation Console - Video gamers check it out!

  4. #4
    stickycarrots's Avatar
    stickycarrots is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    QuickInbox.com
    Posts
    753
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 86 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    We're not. The only real purpose of XML sitemaps is to work around crawlability problems, and we have no problems with crawlability.
    Actually, Google is only showing 1,600 pages indexed from NetBuilders in my results. We have nearly 5,000 threads. Why aren't those others indexed? I've found pinging Google with your sitemap helps get indexed deeper. Why not try it?

  5. #5
    texashiker's Avatar
    texashiker is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    We're not. The only real purpose of XML sitemaps is to work around crawlability problems, and we have no problems with crawlability.
    Will, when I checked to see how many pages netbuilders has indexed, I was suprised. Google only has about 1,670 pages indexed for netbuilders.

    For the amount of threads and post you have, that is low. And I am not the only one seeing this.

    Quote Originally Posted by stickycarrots View Post
    Actually, Google is only showing 1,600 pages indexed from NetBuilders in my results. We have nearly 5,000 threads. Why aren't those others indexed? I've found pinging Google with your sitemap helps get indexed deeper. Why not try it?

  6. #6
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    That's an easy answer -- we don't allow Googlebot to index all of our threads.

    From our robots.txt:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /politics-religion/
    Disallow: /general-chat/
    Disallow: /entertainment/
    My experience with some other webmaster forums is that if you allow these threads to get indexed, you will attract a lot of non-webmasters who are interested only in trolling or spamming. This eventually prevents real community members from engaging in genuine conversation.

    We have the other forums crawlable, because we want to attract people interested in those topics.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  7. Thanked by:

    Nick (5 August, 2009)

  8. #7
    texashiker's Avatar
    texashiker is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    10-4 Will, I fully understand why you added those forums to your robots.txt. And it also explains why google has not indexed a lot of your threads and post.

  9. #8
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    That's an easy answer -- we don't allow Googlebot to index all of our threads.

    From our robots.txt:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /politics-religion/
    Disallow: /general-chat/
    Disallow: /entertainment/
    My experience with some other webmaster forums is that if you allow these threads to get indexed, you will attract a lot of non-webmasters who are interested only in trolling or spamming. This eventually prevents real community members from engaging in genuine conversation.

    We have the other forums crawlable, because we want to attract people interested in those topics.
    Hm, good thinking. I never thought of doing this.

    Have you experimented with this on and off (perhaps on another website)? If so, what were the results like?

  10. #9
    Sundance's Avatar
    Sundance is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    I'd imagine there could only be one result. That the threads in those forum sections aren't being indexed and the amount of targeted traffic netbuilders receives is higher
    Xbox 720 Next Generation Console - Video gamers check it out!

  11. #10
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Have you experimented with this on and off (perhaps on another website)? If so, what were the results like?
    Not yet, this is the first time I thought of it.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10 October, 2010, 02:59 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1 July, 2010, 05:02 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4 December, 2009, 19:04 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22 April, 2009, 19:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •