Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Moderated or no

  1. #1
    akira07's Avatar
    akira07 is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    515
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Moderated or no

    Hey, no thread about this topic yet. I think this is important matter, because this is related to the visitor. If you wrong, visitor may leave. So, just wanna sharing and asking about this topic.

    I just wanna ask :
    Do you moderate comment on your blog or no?

    With moderating, you'll get less spam but you need additional time to moderate it one by one. How if your blog is already popular and get 50 comments per day? Still moderate?

    Or you're not using moderation system, but you will get spam?
    Even there is many spam prevention software, it's not 100% work.

    And how about hiring moderation staff? So, no need additional time to do moderation but you should pay for a person who do it? And in this case, the problem which may come is about trust, can you give a trust for a people to moderation comments in your blog?

    There is so many thing shoudl be considered before just say Yes or No about moderation. How about you?
    If it's me, i prefer to use no moderation, it's annoying visitor you know. As my experience as reader/visitor, when i do comments, it's not shown...It's always shown Your comments is awaiting for moderation, but how about the author of the blog is in holiday? My comments get postponed. How about if it's important things? That's why i feel moderation is not good, in my opinion. You?

  2. #2
    CoreyFreeman's Avatar
    CoreyFreeman is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    692
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 55 Times in 47 Posts
    Once someone has two approved comments on my blog, there's no more need to moderate them. Without moderation, you'll end up with tons of spam, or trolling, and I don't really see a downside to it aside from time. Just set aside 5 or 10 minutes to look things over and you're good to go.

  3. #3
    akira07's Avatar
    akira07 is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    515
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I never use moderation, so i don't know about that system, after 2 accepted comments, the system will think their is no spammer. Ah, so it's easy to spamming, right? Because all we need is to do 2 comments. Is there any better moderation plug-in?

    Anyway, just wonder, can i make one article is have moderation system, but for the other article, we not use it.

  4. #4
    CoreyFreeman's Avatar
    CoreyFreeman is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    692
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 55 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akira07 View Post
    I never use moderation, so i don't know about that system, after 2 accepted comments, the system will think their is no spammer. Ah, so it's easy to spamming, right? Because all we need is to do 2 comments. Is there any better moderation plug-in?

    Anyway, just wonder, can i make one article is have moderation system, but for the other article, we not use it.
    A spammer isn't going to waste time writing two approved comments and then come back for a third time to spam. There are millions of blogs, so itd be pointless. And you can delete spam ya know.

    Why would you ever have one post moderated and one not? That makes no sense.

  5. #5
    akira07's Avatar
    akira07 is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    515
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyheathen View Post
    Why would you ever have one post moderated and one not? That makes no sense.
    It sometime usefull for some reason. Just for example, i hold commenting contest but the comment countes is only comment on some post, and the requirement is the length should be minimal 50 word. Of course for this case, moderating only "post for contest entry" is needed, but without having moderation system in outside post for contest entry.

  6. #6
    Nic SEO's Avatar
    Nic SEO is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akira07 View Post
    It sometime usefull for some reason. Just for example, i hold commenting contest but the comment countes is only comment on some post, and the requirement is the length should be minimal 50 word. Of course for this case, moderating only "post for contest entry" is needed, but without having moderation system in outside post for contest entry.
    So, if I understand, you're telling us that you don't care about the comments on the posts that aren't related to your contest?

    And Corey is right. Once you approve someone's post, the odds that the next comment from that person is only spam are, let's say, low.

  7. #7
    lethalboom's Avatar
    lethalboom is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally I have the option where you approve one of their comments and then they can post freely. I usually get 5-10 comments per day, so I read all of them anyway and then I can delete/edit any that I think are inappropriate.

  8. #8
    imported_Josh is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes. Definitely moderate comments, I don't know how many people here actually read comments (apart from their own blog), but I do and I don't want to be bombarded with spam.

    While I haven't come across a blog with masses of spam comments, if I did, I probably wouldn't visit it again.

    Anyone who doesn't moderate their comments properly, is a total moron.

  9. #9
    lethalboom's Avatar
    lethalboom is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    While I haven't come across a blog with masses of spam comments, if I did, I probably wouldn't visit it again.
    Ah, good point.

    I know a blog that doesn't moderate comments at all. You post one and it shows up immediately, even if it's your first time. That said, he uses Askimet and it does a wonderful job at keeping the spam comments at bay, and it also makes it more appealing to comment because your comment shows up immediately.

  10. #10
    Nic SEO's Avatar
    Nic SEO is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Ah, good point.

    I know a blog that doesn't moderate comments at all. You post one and it shows up immediately, even if it's your first time. That said, he uses Askimet and it does a wonderful job at keeping the spam comments at bay, and it also makes it more appealing to comment because your comment shows up immediately.
    Yes, but aren't they be moderated afterward all the same? Personally, when I make a comment, I don't care very much if it doesn't show up immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •