Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: best alternative to vBulletin

  1. #1
    anantshri is offline on leave from Net Builders : will post rarely
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts

    best alternative to vBulletin

    this question is for all forum owners,

    I want to start a forum but don't have enough money to spend on vBulletin,

    so what do you think is the best alternative to vBulletin

    note to Mod : please shift this to correct forum if this is wrong place to ask this question.

  2. #2
    sparckyz's Avatar
    sparckyz is offline Draconian Times
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    in a house, duh! ;)
    Posts
    190
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    People often say that phpBB or SMF are the best free alternative to vBulletin

  3. Thanked by:

    anantshri (8 May, 2010)

  4. #3
    anantshri is offline on leave from Net Builders : will post rarely
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparckyz View Post
    People often say that phpBB or SMF are the best free alternative to vBulletin
    thanks i will start with phpBB demo first and then i will try SMF.

    any other suggestion

    what about MyBB.

  5. #4
    GeeOne's Avatar
    GeeOne is offline Off topic forum - The Offwalk
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    offwalk.com
    Posts
    1,514
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 249 Times in 222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparckyz View Post
    People often say that phpBB or SMF are the best free alternative to vBulletin
    I agree with you for free version these two are good options.

    But I would recommend to go for Vbulletin, mine was phpbb and convert to VB.

    I would suggest you some option there are some forums where some webmasters are selling VB license you may try that for cheaper rate.

    Good luck

    G!

  6. #5
    anantshri is offline on leave from Net Builders : will post rarely
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeOne View Post
    I agree with you for free version these two are good options.

    But I would recommend to go for Vbulletin, mine was phpbb and convert to VB.

    I would suggest you some option there are some forums where some webmasters are selling VB license you may try that for cheaper rate.

    Good luck

    G!
    the problem is vB itself has some cost and so are the other plugins example vbSEO.

    so it will be a never ending trail of expenses if we look at vB.

    i am a coder and my self can tweak some stuff here and their, so not afraid to get my hands dirty on it.

    that's the whole point of finding out what others consider as best alternative so that i can start spending my efforts it one single direction.

  7. #6
    GeeOne's Avatar
    GeeOne is offline Off topic forum - The Offwalk
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    offwalk.com
    Posts
    1,514
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 249 Times in 222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anantshri View Post
    the problem is vB itself has some cost and so are the other plugins example vbSEO.

    so it will be a never ending trail of expenses if we look at vB.

    i am a coder and my self can tweak some stuff here and their, so not afraid to get my hands dirty on it.

    that's the whole point of finding out what others consider as best alternative so that i can start spending my efforts it one single direction.
    I think no need for vbseo in vb4, I would still recommend you the VB, at least you can try for any license available for sale at cheaper rate, I am sure you will find it.

    G!

  8. #7
    anantshri is offline on leave from Net Builders : will post rarely
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeOne View Post
    I think no need for vbseo in vb4, I would still recommend you the VB, at least you can try for any license available for sale at cheaper rate, I am sure you will find it.

    G!

    Ohk so lets check that out too. Please check i have sent you PM for the same.

    in the mean time i was looking in google and found my way back to netbuilders on this thread

    http://www.netbuilders.org/community...ods-14059.html

    did any buddy has to add any thing to it.

    Note : i get a bit money saver when i have to purchase a software which cost's in 3 figures so will still prefer to go by a free alternative.

    in the mean time http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/MyBB+vBulletin doesn't make MyBB look that bad compared to vBulletin.

  9. #8
    solidstate's Avatar
    solidstate is offline Next Target $2000
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    there is a project called litebulletin. you can try that. its pretty cool and looks almost vb.

    search on google..

  10. Thanked by:

    anantshri (11 May, 2010)

  11. #9
    GeeOne's Avatar
    GeeOne is offline Off topic forum - The Offwalk
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    offwalk.com
    Posts
    1,514
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 249 Times in 222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
    there is a project called litebulletin. you can try that. its pretty cool and looks almost vb.

    search on google..

    Are you referring this?

    LiteSoft - Bringing you closer to the web!

    Demo: LiteSoft Community Forums

    G!

  12. Thanked by:

    anantshri (11 May, 2010)

  13. #10
    anantshri is offline on leave from Net Builders : will post rarely
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeOne View Post
    i know about litesoft.

    will have a look at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Proxy.org Alternative any???
    By solidstate in forum Web Proxies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25 April, 2011, 20:20 PM
  2. [vBulletin] - Securing Your Vbulletin Installation
    By StephenM in forum Community Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1 August, 2010, 00:20 AM
  3. best alternative to wp-remix
    By anantshri in forum Web Design
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2 May, 2010, 01:02 AM
  4. colorzilla alternative
    By garfish in forum Web Design
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10 December, 2009, 07:00 AM
  5. Best AdSense Alternative?!
    By Mac in forum Monetizing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 26 July, 2009, 23:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •