Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 97

Thread: Site Building - Wordpress Blog or Static Website?

  1. #61
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    PostNuke is dead.

    Quoting from PostNuke: The End:
    A decision was made to provide security updates for PostNuke until 1st July 2009 and there will be no more releases of PostNuke beyond version 0.764.
    The follow-on project to PostNuke is Zikula.
    What cms would you recommend outside of WP, Drupal and Joomla?

  2. #62
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,034
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    What cms would you recommend outside of WP, Drupal and Joomla?
    I would not recommend a CMS other than those three unless you have very specialized requirements.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  3. #63
    Keldorn's Avatar
    Keldorn is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
    Here are 3 more Content management systems.

    http://e107.org/ -

    http://expressionengine.com -

    http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/
    Last edited by Keldorn; 26 September, 2009 at 13:44 PM.
    Submit new proxies -

  4. #64
    Keldorn's Avatar
    Keldorn is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
    If I see another site made with wordpress I'm going to lose it.
    Search this on Google. Photoshop tutorials. Every site there except tutorialized.com is running wordpress. Thing is all those sites they suck hardcore with usability. What happened to all the good photoshop tutorial directories that are custom coded? Tutorialized is the only real one listed there in the top 10. Wordpress needs to die.
    Submit new proxies -

  5. #65
    chetan's Avatar
    chetan is offline PHP Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    India , Nagpur
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    My suggestion is that you should go with wordpress.There are many themes , addons , plugins and etc are available over web.So that you can customize your site according to your needs and off course its dam easy with wordpress or jhoomla rather than static HTML .Even Updating is easy .You will hardly need 5 mins to post a article were as for Static HTML it can take your hour, To link new html pages and update other related post and etc etc
    Visit : Paste-Bin | Yahoo Tracer | Twitter Signatures
    Contact Me For PHP Works
    An cURL Expertise

  6. #66
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,034
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldorn View Post
    If I see another site made with wordpress I'm going to lose it.
    A decent Wordpress site should not "look" like a Wordpress site.

    Take a look at Best Cookie Recipe. Does that scream "Wordpress" to you?
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  7. #67
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chetan View Post
    My suggestion is that you should go with wordpress.There are many themes , addons , plugins and etc are available over web.So that you can customize your site according to your needs and off course its dam easy with wordpress or jhoomla rather than static HTML .Even Updating is easy .You will hardly need 5 mins to post a article were as for Static HTML it can take your hour, To link new html pages and update other related post and etc etc
    Wordpress is a good blogging software. But there are some issues with using it for a content site. The biggest issues for me are

    1) Poor navigation where articles get buried.
    2) Google treats blogs differently. The end result is that a blog needs to be updated with fresh content.
    3) Security issues and required updates.

    Sure you can work around these issues. It's even possible to use the "blog advantage" to get your articles indexed fast. But the end result is that wordpress is a blogging software and really not designed as a content management system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    A decent Wordpress site should not "look" like a Wordpress site.

    Take a look at Best Cookie Recipe. Does that scream "Wordpress" to you?
    A good coder should be able to modify/hack wordpress so that you end up with a good cms system. I wondering if it would be easier to start with another cms like joomla and design the site from the ground up?

  8. #68
    Keldorn's Avatar
    Keldorn is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    A decent Wordpress site should not "look" like a Wordpress site.

    Take a look at Best Cookie Recipe. Does that scream "Wordpress" to you?

    Yes I can still tell its wordpress. How about www.fighters.com Does that scream wordpress?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    Wordpress is a good blogging software. But there are some issues with using it for a content site. The biggest issues for me are

    1) Poor navigation where articles get buried.
    2) Google treats blogs differently. The end result is that a blog needs to be updated with fresh content.
    3) Security issues and required updates.

    Sure you can work around these issues. It's even possible to use the "blog advantage" to get your articles indexed fast. But the end result is that wordpress is a blogging software and really not designed as a content management system.



    A good coder should be able to modify/hack wordpress so that you end up with a good cms system. I wondering if it would be easier to start with another cms like joomla and design the site from the ground up?
    I really do think Google treats blogs differnently. There is an extraodary amount of content out there written on blogging software but barely see any of it listed in Google unless its a page that was linked to considerable enough to get Google to like it.
    Submit new proxies -

  9. #69
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldorn View Post
    I really do think Google treats blogs differnently. There is an extraodary amount of content out there written on blogging software but barely see any of it listed in Google unless its a page that was linked to considerable enough to get Google to like it.
    Google gives a temporary boost to fresh content from new sites, blogs and the news.

    But what comes up must come down. So unless the pages get enough deeplinks the pages disappear.

  10. #70
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,034
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldorn View Post
    How about www.fighters.com Does that scream wordpress?
    It does, mostly because the left column is so obviously chronological.

    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    Google gives a temporary boost to fresh content from new sites, blogs and the news.
    I am thinking that Old Post Promoter may help with that.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28 December, 2010, 06:32 AM
  2. Building a blog community with wordpress 3.0
    By texashiker in forum Blogging
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27 July, 2010, 10:07 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10 November, 2009, 02:01 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19 March, 2009, 00:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •