I used and still use Notepad..
yes, wordspress is free . I will be using this for my website. Thanks WIll.
I agree with Will. To start, WordPress is the best.
With CPANEL/Fantastico, you can install & manage & upgrade a Wordpress blog in 10 minutes ! This is my checklist to start a website.
Start a Website in 7 steps
1. Choose a Topic for Your Web Site
2. Buy a domain according to the niche
3. Take a shared hosting account (free or paid)
4. Install Wordpress with Cpanel + Fantastico
5. Choose a great theme
6. Put som Adsense Ads (Monetization)
7. Write original & good content ! (or buy it ^^)
Second step is to promote your site and get visitors (satisfacted readers). If you want, you can do some SEO tricks to be well placed in Google, like using permalinks /%postname%/ and install the All In One SEO plugin.
I let my place to SEO experts
Good luck in webmastering !
Charles (18 October, 2010)
All my years I wrote the coding and made the templates. Its been about 6 months since I started working with Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal. For me its mostly Wordpress, makes everything easier. However, I do have sites that run on pure html