Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Getting the Most From Social Media Interns

Hybrid View

  1. Getting the Most From Social Media Interns

    It still feels odd to me when "mainstream" publications discuss the web business.

    Getting the Most From Social Media Interns is one of several recent articles about the web business from FoxNews. For others, look at the Recommended Links and Related Stories.

    This is a pretty decent article, but I'd still rather hire someone who lives in an emerging market than an American intern. Too many Americans suffer from a sense of entitlement, which makes them lousy team members.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  2. #2
    Corporations could start with building good home pages before they advance to advanced SEO techniques such as social media manipulation IMO

  3. #3
    Nothing really new in the article.
    Just hire someone to do what you do not have time to do.

    And who cares if the person is in America or Timbuktu?

  4. #4
    We had two French social media interns, and it was terrible. Spent much more time training them than what it would have taken me to make all the things myself. They just didn't get it, even though they spent half of their day on FB...

  5. #5
    Being on FB, Twitter, etc, all day long does NOT make one a social media guru.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by tetrapak View Post
    We had two French social media interns, and it was terrible. Spent much more time training them than what it would have taken me to make all the things myself. They just didn't get it, even though they spent half of their day on FB...
    The French have a worse sense of entitlement than Americans!

    They have a 35 hour work week and when the government adjusted the retirement age they rioted in the streets.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  7. #7
    I cannot say in general, but I can tell you that these girls did not understand the basics of social media although they have studied marketing and apparently were good at school. Makes me wonder what the heck they teach at school now-a-days to pupils. I know I have ignored most of my lectures and instead spent my time on forums etc.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    This is a pretty decent article, but I'd still rather hire someone who lives in an emerging market than an American intern. Too many Americans suffer from a sense of entitlement, which makes them lousy team members.
    From reading the article, I get the idea that when they say 'Social Media Interns or freelancer' that they really mean cheap labor.

    In the article, 'Identify your message' is #2 which to me doesn't make sense. The message should be the most important and 'Being Specific' in the social media channels is secondary.

    Once the business has identified the 'message', it can assign the appropriate stakeholders to manage the campaign i.e.

    Customer Service
    Online Advertising
    Inside Sales
    Lead Generation
    Sales Support
    Public Relations

    For some types of businesses it would make more sense for the sales department to be involved. In other cases, the marketing department would make sense in terms of branding and promotion.

    So the real question is whether the business want to turn over the sales/marketing to an intern or freelancer? Doesn't make sense to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrapak View Post
    I cannot say in general, but I can tell you that these girls did not understand the basics of social media although they have studied marketing and apparently were good at school. Makes me wonder what the heck they teach at school now-a-days to pupils. I know I have ignored most of my lectures and instead spent my time on forums etc.
    Marketing is too broad a term. Someone studying marketing research and statistical anylasis wouldn't have the same background as people that yook most of their courses in sales and advertising.

    I still think a marketing background has some value. Back in the 90s, a lot of companies let web designers take over their websites which wasn't the right move to have your graphic artist/coder run the show.

Similar Threads

  1. Social Media Profits
    By iowadawg in forum eBooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7 October, 2010, 02:39 AM
  2. [Graphics]Social Media Icon Set
    By test in forum Web Graphics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23 July, 2010, 20:59 PM
  3. Social Media Traffic?
    By Farrhad A in forum Social Networks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30 June, 2009, 19:11 PM
  4. Social Media or SEO: Take your pick
    By Farrhad A in forum Promoting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23 April, 2009, 14:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •