How To Choose A Guru
Which internet marketing experts should you turn to? These people, who have been tagged as "gurus" by some, have more experience in the IM world than others. But, it seems like there's a new "guru" on the block every day. So who should you trust? Here's a check list on how to evaluate internet marketing experts.
1. Have they actually made money doing the things they are advising you to do? Ironically, many internet marketing "experts" are most expert at promoting themselves. They'll tell you, for instance, to stay out of the "internet marketing" niche because the "experts" have it cornered. Instead, they'll say to go into less competitive niches. But, if you press them, they will have to admit that they've never been in any other niche themselves.
2. Are they transparent? The "gurus" that I like best are the ones who will show you what niches are actually making them money. They're not afraid they'll lose their precious "position" to someone less experienced than they are. This transparency allows you to evaluate them wisely.
3. Do they give you a step by step plan? The internet marketing experts who are best at teaching newbie and internet marketers are those who can provide detailed, step by step plans for success.
4. Do you trust that they have done what they say? It's really easy to say they made "a million dollars" from a system when you are on the internet. You don't even have to keep a straight face. You can also photoshop paypal and clickbank screenshots to "show" that you have made a lot more money than you really have. So, when finding a guru to follow, you should have a gut feeling that they have done what they've said they've done.
5. Is their plan something you feel you can do? There are many kinds of internet marketing experts. Some recommend setting up a network of blogs and doing a ton of writing. Others use pay per click marketing in their strategies. Some urge you to go offline and contact business owners to build websites for them. All of these strategies can work. The trick is to find a guru who can teach you the strategies you are most comfortable with yourself.
6. Do they say you can do it with "no work." Let's face it, there's very little in life that you can achieve with no work. Every once in a while, someone hits a jackpot - whether it is in Las Vegas or online. But, for the most part, making money of any kind requires work. If you see a guru promising a "no work" system, run away fast.
7. Is it ethical? There are a number of ways you can make money on the internet that some can live with and others find downright unethical. Make sure you are able to live with yourself in the morning before you start any internet marketing scheme.
There are many people claiming to be internet marketing "experts." Choose wisely before selecting a "guru" to follow.
There is a lot of truth in what you are saying.
I have followed dozens of Internet marketing gurus over the past 10 years and still receive daily newsletters from most of them. I can say without any reservation that in my opinion every one has been a fraud or is misrepresenting themselves, their accomplishments and their offerings just to sell themselves as a product. However, what you get is more often than not just an empty shell.
In all honesty, there is only one Internet marketing guru that I believe has a good business model that is worth emulating, because there isn't any hype, braggadocio or BS behind it. This guy does not even tout himself as an Internet marketing guru, yet his accomplishments with respect to his web businesses are obvious.
I met this guy around 2005 when he was just really starting to get rolling and have followed his exploits ever since then. Who is he? This is not a big secret. It is Will Spencer, who sponsors this forum.
Listen to Will's opinions. They are based upon real experience, not grandiose claims. You can take those ideas to the bank and it will not cost you anything.
It takes a lot of experience, honesty, experiments, transparency and intelligent use of your time and money to be a Guru in any niche or business. I myself keep a room of not less than 5 more years to be really well-versed with this online marketing world. Gurus will never brand themselves in open. It just happens itself by word of mouth if they worth.
You are obviously talking about the real gurus and not the 95%+ who proclaim themselves to be gurus and want to help you to make them millionaires. :D
Originally Posted by ChillingBreeze