Which internet marketing experts should you turn to? These people, who have been tagged as "gurus" by some, have more experience in the IM world than others. But, it seems like there's a new "guru" on the block every day. So who should you trust? Here's a check list on how to evaluate internet marketing experts.
1. Have they actually made money doing the things they are advising you to do? Ironically, many internet marketing "experts" are most expert at promoting themselves. They'll tell you, for instance, to stay out of the "internet marketing" niche because the "experts" have it cornered. Instead, they'll say to go into less competitive niches. But, if you press them, they will have to admit that they've never been in any other niche themselves.
2. Are they transparent? The "gurus" that I like best are the ones who will show you what niches are actually making them money. They're not afraid they'll lose their precious "position" to someone less experienced than they are. This transparency allows you to evaluate them wisely.
3. Do they give you a step by step plan? The internet marketing experts who are best at teaching newbie and internet marketers are those who can provide detailed, step by step plans for success.
4. Do you trust that they have done what they say? It's really easy to say they made "a million dollars" from a system when you are on the internet. You don't even have to keep a straight face. You can also photoshop paypal and clickbank screenshots to "show" that you have made a lot more money than you really have. So, when finding a guru to follow, you should have a gut feeling that they have done what they've said they've done.
5. Is their plan something you feel you can do? There are many kinds of internet marketing experts. Some recommend setting up a network of blogs and doing a ton of writing. Others use pay per click marketing in their strategies. Some urge you to go offline and contact business owners to build websites for them. All of these strategies can work. The trick is to find a guru who can teach you the strategies you are most comfortable with yourself.
6. Do they say you can do it with "no work." Let's face it, there's very little in life that you can achieve with no work. Every once in a while, someone hits a jackpot - whether it is in Las Vegas or online. But, for the most part, making money of any kind requires work. If you see a guru promising a "no work" system, run away fast.
7. Is it ethical? There are a number of ways you can make money on the internet that some can live with and others find downright unethical. Make sure you are able to live with yourself in the morning before you start any internet marketing scheme.
There are many people claiming to be internet marketing "experts." Choose wisely before selecting a "guru" to follow.