Ann Smarty at Search Engine Journal has recently recommended SpyOnWeb. SpyOnWeb is a utility which allows you to submit a URL, IP address, Google Adsense ID, or Google Analytics Code ID to a query engine, and returns a listing of every site associated with each type of query submitted.
IP address for example will return all known virtual hosts assigned to the IP address, where Google Adsense ID will provide you with a list of all known sites running that specific Adsense ID.
- It's free.
- No registration or login required.
- It may allow you to see what site(s) on your shared IP may be compromising your standing with the search engines, assuming they penalize you for this.
- It may give you some insight into your competitors domain, niche, and link building tactics.
- It may allow you to research who you may be linking to prior to reaching a linking agreement.
- It may not be entirely accurate. Specific instances where accuracy may be an issue: shared hosting provides the same IP address to multiple clients.
- Competitors may use this utility to out you if your practices aren't entirely ethical.
♥ ( ★ ♣ ♦ ☋
Very nice and useful link.
Thank you Alex!
m42 (26 June, 2009)
I don't like this. I use WHOIS guard on some of my domains for a reason, but not others. Meaning regardless of that, anybody can find my info, as well as my AdSense and Analytics data. I find this a little against my privacy.
There are definite ethical implications involved in using it. I was actually worried about that yesterday so waited until I had a chance to discuss it with Will before posting it to the forum today.
Not posting would have been irrelevant. You'd might as well know it exists. You'd might as well know that these tools have been available for a while. This is just a free version of one. To date people have been paying or registering to obtain the same information. The information is readily available to those willing to look for it.
♥ ( ★ ♣ ♦ ☋
As for private registrations, they're useless, there are guys around there willing to sell you any private data you might need (including full registration data), I just won't share any further details here.
All I can say is that Will owns billions of sites
I'm using this website to check if somebody else copied my adsense ID over to his website, if the website is about something illegal that isn't allowed by adsense, I can simply blacklist the site than.
Thanks Alex, usefull!
Well, I have actually contacted the person in charge of this site, asking for my sites to all be taken off of the database. I am VERY against this tool.
It doesn't appear to be a privacy issue when the information obtained is from public sources. Even without this tool, anyone can find the information if they are willing to spend some time investigating. The tool just makes it easier to gather and correlate the information that you have no ability to protect.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin