About the Author: Wesley LeFebvre owns Seattle Web Services, a Seattle-based search engine marketing company, and blogs regularly at SEOrankings.com.
1. Choose a short descriptive URL with your primary keywords in it (if possible).
2. UPDATE Only target 1-3 major keywords on each page.
3. Separate keywords with hyphens in the url with the domain name being the exception, preferably.
4. Use Keywords in your navigation links where they make sense, however, like always, dont overuse them.
5. Optimize your title tag a good rule of thumb is up to 70 characters with your most important keywords first. Separate phrases with a |.
6. Optimize your meta description tag One or two sentences max; using a keyword variant or two.
7. Provide a substantial amount content on each page and use a few keyword variants within the content.
8. Install Google Analytics.
9. Add a blog to your website and post to it at least once a week dont use a separate domain name for your blog, make it a sub-directory or sub-domain and fully integrated into your main site.
10. Get links pointed to your website using keywords in the anchor text related to the page they link to AboutUs.org, DMOZ.org and sending a free press release are a few good ways to start.