Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Would You Invest in English Grammar Lessons?

  1. #1
    CoreyFreeman's Avatar
    CoreyFreeman is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    692
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 55 Times in 47 Posts

    Would You Invest in English Grammar Lessons?

    This is mostly for those who do not speak English as a first language, or those who wish to improve their grammar skills beyond the norm...would you invest in grammar lessons or information products?

    This is a question I ask because I'm considering producing workbooks geared towards those wanting to improve their grammar. While my main target is freelance writers wanting to make more money, I also want to target the general public.

    Please let me know what you think about this idea. Honestly.

  2. #2
    garfish's Avatar
    garfish is offline I'm Not Sure.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    848
    Blog Entries
    12
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
    what you need to invest are hollywood movies that you should enjoy.
    learn english while you watch movies

  3. #3
    Aziz's Avatar
    Aziz is offline no investment, no glory
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    588
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    I'm not a writer but I'd invest in improving my grammar

  4. #4
    elbandelero's Avatar
    elbandelero is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 106 Times in 80 Posts
    Corey, perhaps we should talk, even if you are too busy to take on additional writing assignments. I own an English academy here in Spain, currently employing 4 teachers with students ranging from beginner to advanced, and will soon be producing course work for tourism and retail.

    We may be able to help each other.

  5. #5
    Snak3's Avatar
    Snak3 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 190 Times in 121 Posts
    I would not as my Grammar is quite decent enough. But what country would you be targeting? US/UK? don't they have 'English' as a subject where grammar is taught?
    As far as my education is concerned, i had to study 'English' as a compulsory subject till the 12th grade so there's no question of learning further, but still I see many who struggle and still can't master it.

  6. #6
    CoreyFreeman's Avatar
    CoreyFreeman is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    692
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 55 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snak3 View Post
    I would not as my Grammar is quite decent enough. But what country would you be targeting? US/UK? don't they have 'English' as a subject where grammar is taught?
    I am targeting non-native speakers, specifically writers looking to make more money from their article writing, and looking to communicate and build repeat clients with better effectiveness.

    As far as the UK/USA question goes - American schools are notorious for not being the best schools on the planet due to the concern for test scores. I know that if I hadn't liked reading, my grammar would probably suck. Grammar wasn't pounded into us until about 9th grade, when it would affect most people's grades and when it is mostly too late to fix it using conventional teaching.

    I have no thoughts on the UK schools as I don't live in the UK, and even if I did, British English and American English have grammatical variations. Were I to target the UK, I'd have to hire someone as a consultant.

    As far as my education is concerned, i had to study 'English' as a compulsory subject till the 12th grade so there's no question of learning further, but still I see many who struggle and still can't master it.
    Grammar is hard, and people who teach it often make it harder. However, I'm not proposing conventional or "boring" teaching. Even I can doze off when doing worksheets for class. That is why these lessons have to be beneficial, simple, informative, and entertaining.

    I kind of want to be a stickler and pick apart your first sentence. "quite decent enough" is excessive so you can just say "quite decent" or "decent enough" or even just "decent." That was just for fun. Also you missed a comma in your third sentence.

    I am just messing with you.

  7. #7
    DomainMagnate's Avatar
    DomainMagnate is offline Super-Duper Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    751
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 175 Times in 110 Posts
    Many freelancers calling themselves "writers" need this. But I'm afraid they are not fully aware of that

  8. Thanked by:

    bogart (4 October, 2009), dmi (3 October, 2009)

  9. #8
    elbandelero's Avatar
    elbandelero is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 106 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyFreeman View Post
    I have no thoughts on the UK schools as I don't live in the UK, and even if I did, British English and American English have grammatical variations. Were I to target the UK, I'd have to hire someone as a consultant.
    They're not that different, grammatically I'd say 99.999% the same, some Americans and Canadians will often drop a determiner (eg the), whereas people from the British Isles and the Commonwealth won't.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyFreeman View Post
    Grammar is hard, and people who teach it often make it harder. However, I'm not proposing conventional or "boring" teaching. Even I can doze off when doing worksheets for class. That is why these lessons have to be beneficial, simple, informative, and entertaining.
    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyFreeman View Post
    I kind of want to be a stickler and pick apart your first sentence. "quite decent enough" is excessive so you can just say "quite decent" or "decent enough" or even just "decent." That was just for fun. Also you missed a comma in your third sentence.
    I can ignore the redundancy, but missing a comma is worthy of walking the proverbial plank - people, commas represent a pause, just like you would when you need to take a break to catch your breath, and they are critical to good communication. Remember, after every part of a sentence, insert a comma.

  10. #9
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyFreeman View Post
    This is mostly for those who do not speak English as a first language, or those who wish to improve their grammar skills beyond the norm...would you invest in grammar lessons or information products?
    Grammar lessons appear to be a good idea for content. I would expect that you would get a lot of repeat traffic as well.
    How do you plan on monetizing the content? Or do you plan on selling the lessons?

    Quote Originally Posted by elbandelero View Post
    Corey, perhaps we should talk, even if you are too busy to take on additional writing assignments. I own an English academy here in Spain, currently employing 4 teachers with students ranging from beginner to advanced, and will soon be producing course work for tourism and retail.
    I got a TEFL certificate at Princeton University. I had a few job offers in Mexico and China. The pay was little more than beer money. The job market for Americans dried up in Spain dried up after Spain became a full member of the EC.

    It seemed that most of the English lessons were geared toward tourism. I knew some students studying at the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Most of them had some sort of job with tourism. There didn't seem to be a much focus on business.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyFreeman View Post
    I am targeting non-native speakers, specifically writers looking to make more money from their article writing, and looking to communicate and build repeat clients with better effectiveness.
    I think a good target market is the businessman in addition to the freelancer. People in business generally have money money to spend.

  11. #10
    aaron_nimocks's Avatar
    aaron_nimocks is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 12 Posts
    I think its a good idea. My grammar can suck sometimes when I am just writing and not paying attention.

    If you haven't took the odesk tests yet for English and grammar you will be surprised what you score. Those tests are ridicules.
    For article writing please contact me.

  12. Thanked by:

    bogart (4 October, 2009)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lessons from AOL
    By Will.Spencer in forum Business
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2 March, 2011, 06:42 AM
  2. Improper grammar
    By Xarver in forum Community Building
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19 April, 2010, 00:44 AM
  3. If you have 500$ to invest?
    By humm in forum Business
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 31 July, 2009, 13:31 PM
  4. Indian English vs. American English
    By Will.Spencer in forum Building
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21 July, 2009, 20:34 PM
  5. [WTB] non-english and english adult sites
    By dinet88 in forum Sites
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6 July, 2009, 12:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •