Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Are Directory submissions Still Effective After Google Panda Update?

  1. #21
    I agree that local listing and those directories are related niche are trusted directories.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ipraxa View Post
    I did do a variety of homepage links and inner page links and title of pages. I wouldn't do more than one link per directory. I'd stick to high quality directories, over a longer period of time. Brand names are good and URLs.
    A directory is not a high quality directory if the inner pages all have a PageRank of n/a. That is Google's way of saying that they do not like the directory. The only PageRank that matters is the page where your link appears. The home page PageRank is irrelevant unless that is where your link appears.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  3. #23
    Directory submission are powerful promotional tools that get the attention of search engine spiders towards a site. The more the number of directories to which you submit your site, the more times spiders will index your site. It is not totally dead...

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    A directory is not a high quality directory if the inner pages all have a PageRank of n/a. That is Google's way of saying that they do not like the directory. The only PageRank that matters is the page where your link appears. The home page PageRank is irrelevant unless that is where your link appears.
    OK, so if the inner page your link is located has pagerank, then pagerank of that page itself is still relevant?
    I am also a writer for Serpholic Media. You can find some of my articles here: Serpholic Media Blog

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    OK, so if the inner page your link is located has pagerank, then pagerank of that page itself is still relevant?
    Yes. That is how PageRank is passed. When Google penalizes a page to prevent the passing of PR, the PR goes to n/a. When there is no PR, there is no PR to pass. For some reason they rarely do that for home pages, but they commonly do it for inner pages.

    The PageRank may be relevant, but the link can still be a problem if the site has been flagged as a crappy site or an unrelated site by Penguin.

    Link quality and PageRank are two separate issues. Home page PR is not an indication of site quality. I only use PR today as a tool to see if a site has been penalized. If all of the inner pages of a mature site show a PR of n/a, that site has been slapped by Google and the links are useless or possibly harmful. I would not even trust a home page link from a site where all of the inner pages are penalized.

    Quote Originally Posted by puspasri View Post
    Directory submission are powerful promotional tools that get the attention of search engine spiders towards a site. The more the number of directories to which you submit your site, the more times spiders will index your site. It is not totally dead...
    Sorry, but I cannot agree with that statement. A good quality site does not have a problem getting indexed. It looks like you have not been paying attention to the fallout from Penguin -- or you own a directory -- or you are a link builder. A poor quality link is still a poor quality link. It does not matter if your site is getting indexed if the links are harming your Google rankings. I have seen a lot of sites that have lost most of their Google traffic because they relied too much on directory links set up by the link builders in India. Local business directories are a different story because Google tends to like them.
    Last edited by TopDogger; 13 September, 2012 at 14:03 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    Yes. That is how PageRank is passed. When Google penalizes a page to prevent the passing of PR, the PR goes to n/a. When there is no PR, there is no PR to pass. For some reason they rarely do that for home pages, but they commonly do it for inner pages.

    The PageRank may be relevant, but the link can still be a problem if the site has been flagged as a crappy site or an unrelated site by Penguin.

    Link quality and PageRank are two separate issues. PR is not an indication of quality. Do not judge a site solely by its home page PR. I only use PR today as a tool to see if a site has been penalized. If all of the inner pages of a mature site show a PR of n/a, that site has been slapped by Google and the links are useless or possibly harmful. I would not even trust a home page link from a site where all of the inner pages are penalized.
    I have noticed that with a local website for hostels. They have a folder of links and none of their pages is ranked high. But the links they get back managed to get them first page Google for the main term.

    And their site offers no value other than being a pseudo directory.

    I believe Google gives a little more slack to sites which are very "niche" compared to those that target broader and more popular terms.

    Regardless, I have submitted to their 3 sites which are all auto accepting the submission and I did receive a boost from page 15 to page 3. But a week later I disappeared again, this time completely. Now I am somewhere page 7 resurrecting slowly.
    I am also a writer for Serpholic Media. You can find some of my articles here: Serpholic Media Blog

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    Regardless, I have submitted to their 3 sites which are all auto accepting the submission and I did receive a boost from page 15 to page 3. But a week later I disappeared again, this time completely. Now I am somewhere page 7 resurrecting slowly.
    There is a difference between ranking algorithm changes and filters. Ranking algorithms tend to change rankings for large numbers of sites mostly at one time. Filters are run separately and are more random. They can flag a poor quality page, duplicate content issue or a linking issue at any time. It sometimes takes months. Some autoblogs are still successful because they constantly add new pages, but the older pages drop out of Google over time as they get filtered out.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  8. #28
    I see. And that page does receive a lot of traffic from what I see as it now ranks around number 5 for the sought after keyterm, so I assume submissions are constant.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    There is a difference between ranking algorithm changes and filters. Ranking algorithms tend to change rankings for large numbers of sites mostly at one time. Filters are run separately and are more random. They can flag a poor quality page, duplicate content issue or a linking issue at any time. It sometimes takes months. Some autoblogs are still successful because they constantly add new pages, but the older pages drop out of Google over time as they get filtered out.
    I am also a writer for Serpholic Media. You can find some of my articles here: Serpholic Media Blog

  9. #29
    This is not worth as SEO point of view. I suggest you to avoid data entry type work and follow new strategy to improve your traffic and rank of site.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    This is what I have noticed in the past few days on my blogs.
    I removed all banners and most of the links on the sidebars.
    Boom!
    Traffic from google search engine has gone up more and more each day.

    Leads me to believe that google is also looking at the outbound links on sites and blogs.
    More there are, the more google devalues the site/blog.

    Will see how page rank goes if and when google decides to again do a page rank update.
    How many links do you have going outbound now? Are you getting a significant amount of traffic back or just enough to notice?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •