Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: DMOZ: The Great Pumpkin

  1. #21
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts
    Thanks for your comments. It will be nice to see where DMOZ ends up in the future. My feedback is provided from my own directory experience with actually providing feedback to users...yes hate email, but guess what??? That's what the delete key is for....

    Ignoring customer feedback (yes webmasters are customers too), just pushes the directory closer to not really being a useful product for anyone....

    Anyway, least someone connected to DMOZ has provided feedback to the thread. Sorry you are in a position you have to do it anonymously. What's the current buzzword today...transparency of processes....but if it was really an "Open Directory" and an "Open Process" there would be constructive feedback in both directions vice the "black box" of the DMOZ editing process.

    Last comment from me on the post. Thanks again for your feedback.
    Cheers,
    James

  2. #22
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymously View Post
    bogart, we always send an acceptance or rejection slip to those who apply to be editors, did you chase that up, perhaps have to do the same as I did with a letter from my bank and check the spam box.
    O.K. I just took the time to fill-out another application for editor. I went through the process including giving three sites with a description.

    I hit proceed and got a proxy error. The whole application was lost. Complete waste of time.

  3. Thanked by:

    javanx3d (14 November, 2009)

  4. #23
    Anonymously is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javanx3d View Post
    Thanks for your comments. It will be nice to see where DMOZ ends up in the future. My feedback is provided from my own directory experience with actually providing feedback to users...yes hate email, but guess what??? That's what the delete key is for....

    Ignoring customer feedback (yes webmasters are customers too), just pushes the directory closer to not really being a useful product for anyone....

    Anyway, least someone connected to DMOZ has provided feedback to the thread. Sorry you are in a position you have to do it anonymously. What's the current buzzword today...transparency of processes....but if it was really an "Open Directory" and an "Open Process" there would be constructive feedback in both directions vice the "black box" of the DMOZ editing process.

    Last comment from me on the post. Thanks again for your feedback.
    Cheers,
    James
    Sorry javanx3d might as well be anonymously, tells me nothing about you either.

    Webmasters are only customers when they use our service as intended to have information in collated groups, they are not customers when they submit a site. Remember the facility to suggest a site is for the general public not just webmasters, so that when they find a fantastic site that might be useful to others they can suggest it for our consideration.

    The directory was never intended either to be called open so that everything we did could be seen, from the begining we knew that would be a recipe for disaster. The open in our title is about the fact that we give all our data away free to anyone who simply gives us the correct attribution. Would you believe that despite that many sites try to use our data for free and without giving correct acknowledgement. It is also free for anyone in the public to suggest sites.

    You may offer rejection notices, but is your directory anything like as large as ours? Does it have many forums discussing what you to the finest detail and offering advice? How many rejection slips would you send in a day?
    Ours would be dozens if not hundreds. What's the point of sending out a generic reject slip if the reciever gats no information about why they were rejected and how open is it to send those rejection slips and then delete any replies because they argue with you? If you want us to be open then we would have to enter into correspondence about why we rejected a site. You know that we are told not to enter into any correspondence, because we have had editors threatened at home for not listing a site or for listing in what was thought to be the wrong p[lace. Do people find your home address and ring up and threaten you or is the directory not big enough for that?

    I do appreciate that you think it good that I have replied, but also believe that it is difficult to keep up with the number of forums that discuss DMOZ and many of us editors who do try to keep up get accused of trolling.

  5. #24
    Anonymously is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    O.K. I just took the time to fill-out another application for editor. I went through the process including giving three sites with a description.

    I hit proceed and got a proxy error. The whole application was lost. Complete waste of time.
    I will check to see if there is a bug and if it is known about.

    edit to add
    Sorry for that, have posted it on internal forums and will let you know anything I am told. At present we are experiencing great difficulties, the bugs list is far too long, but we do have people working on the problem, but it's a real pain the a**.

  6. #25
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts
    Mr. Anonymously,
    I'm no stranger to being threatened at work...but if you have personally been threatened for your DMOZ work, why keep doing it???

    Anyway, lack of transparency in customer service processes == failure in project goals in the 21st century...unless the DMOZ project is solely for the editors.

    I did find it humorous that you said shut up and help and Bogart couldn't. Really the last time to post for me... and btw you or anyone can email me on the subject at javanx3d@gmail.com. And guess what, if any email is too mean or threatening, I'll just ignore or delete it!

    Cheers,
    James

  7. #26
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts
    final final post...rejection slips could be:
    1 - Rejected wrong category and I'm too lazy to move a worthy site because that's too many clicks as an editor
    2 - Rejected incomplete site
    3 - Rejected content is not considered to offer unique information to the user
    4 - Rejected site is too spamy
    5 - REjected site does not offer enough in-depth content in the niche
    6 - Rejected site not in correct language
    7 - Rejected site is pornographic, gambling, violent in nature
    etc....

  8. #27
    Anonymously is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    You did not answer my question about how many you had to deal with, I think you have to tel us if that is hundreds a day or a decade.

    I ahve not personally been threatened at home but we have editors who have. They continue because despite the threats they enjoy their hobby.

    So we send rejection slips and then turn off any replies? We would get as many replies as rejection slips and if we did not reply any further, what would we have across this and other forums "DMOZ editor rejects my site and refuses to comment further, it is not what they said, they are obviously corrupt".

    Sorry bogart, we have flashed this up to the techies, but we editors are more than a little frustrated when we ask for help and then we cannot see the application forms. But there is little we as ediors can do, sadly, except complain and that is being done I can assure you. But like all websites they sometimes pass through troubled waters and they are the very devil to fix. They also remind me of cars, great when running a real pig when they get a problem.

  9. #28
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline DJuice Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heartbeat City
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
    I think DMOZ the Open Directory Project is not relevant anymore nowadays. We don't see the pulling force that once it had. Though, I do believe that it still worth the cost of site submission, i.e. it's free of cost. Here you just need to submit and forget about it. If your site doesn't get listed, try next year. Time we spend here for checking, rechecking, contacting, or re-submitting give us a net loss on our effort or return on investment.

  10. #29
    Mia's Avatar
    Mia
    Mia is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a House
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 59 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymously View Post
    The number of editors quoted on the front of the directory is the total number of editors that have made the directory what it is today. So any editor even one who listed only one site ten years ago is included. Sorry that sCrews up your maths quite a bit. Some have even died. We have a fraction of that number editing at the present time. Also the number of editors who might be counted as active gives little away about how much editing they have spare time to do. DMOZ only demands 1 edit every 4 months to be regarded as active. I can predict how many hours I will give to editing next month if you can tell me how many jobs my wife will line up for me to do, how many times my friends will phone and want help and if I will feel like sitting in front of the computer screen instead of watching TV.
    So in other words, I too am still included in that number, wow.

    I guess next time I state to a potential buyer how many customers I have, I'll make sure to list the total number over the last 12 + years... That should make things look really attractive! It'd be bullshit, but would make things look nice!

    Dmoz editors are for the most part, LAZY, at least that is what I got out of your post.

    Thanks for clearing thing up both here and at DP.
    Jer - OWNER HostDrive.Com and HostingLizard.com

  11. #30
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Originally Posted by bogart
    O.K. I just took the time to fill-out another application for editor. I went through the process including giving three sites with a description.
    I hit proceed and got a proxy error. The whole application was lost. Complete waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymously View Post
    I will check to see if there is a bug and if it is known about.

    edit to add
    Sorry for that, have posted it on internal forums and will let you know anything I am told. At present we are experiencing great difficulties, the bugs list is far too long, but we do have people working on the problem, but it's a real pain the a**.
    It seems to me that the biggest issue is that there just isn't any room to add millions of new websites to the ODP.in a 1990's style directory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I think DMOZ the Open Directory Project is not relevant anymore nowadays. We don't see the pulling force that once it had. Though, I do believe that it still worth the cost of site submission, i.e. it's free of cost. Here you just need to submit and forget about it. If your site doesn't get listed, try next year. Time we spend here for checking, rechecking, contacting, or re-submitting give us a net loss on our effort or return on investment.
    If the category doesn't have an editor, you are wasting your time.

    The ODP's value as a quality factor is diminishing just for the fact it is rarely updated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Political Halloween Pumpkin Carving
    By Rebecca in forum Politics and Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25 October, 2010, 06:37 AM
  2. Is your website accepted into DMOZ listing?
    By toiletpaper in forum Promoting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18 July, 2010, 06:37 AM
  3. How to have my site listed in DMOZ?
    By F-GD in forum Directory Submission
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10 October, 2009, 07:23 AM
  4. DMOZ Sucks
    By m42 in forum Directory Submission
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 1 August, 2009, 00:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •