Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: DMOZ Sucks

  1. #21
    buffalo's Avatar
    buffalo is offline For Entertainment Purposes Only
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Everywhere at once...
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    First time I submitted a site, it was listed soon enough. Later, I submitted another site, and last I knew, it's still not listed. I don't even go to see if it's listed yet or not.

    Funny thing is, my second site is a much better site than the first one ever was.

    But the site is doing fine without the listing. I'd love to see it get listed, but I am not going to worry about it if it doesn't.

  2. #22
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymously View Post
    What interest do I have in if that gives any value ...
    I think that pretty much sums up your entire argument.

    Your not caring that the project has no value outside of your own head is far different than the project actually having value outside of your head.

    I'm glad you enjoy your little sorting project. I've never been a big fan of Solitaire myself, but to each his own.

    It sound though, a lot like some of the symptoms of autism:
    • Stereotypy is repetitive movement, such as hand flapping, making sounds, head rolling, or body rocking.
    • Compulsive behavior is intended and appears to follow rules, such as arranging objects in a certain way.
    • Sameness is resistance to change; for example, insisting that the furniture not be moved or refusing to be interrupted.
    • Ritualistic behavior involves the performance of daily activities the same way each time, such as an unvarying menu or dressing ritual. This is closely associated with sameness and an independent validation has suggested combining the two factors.
    • Restricted behavior is limited in focus, interest, or activity, such as preoccupation with a single television program or toy.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymously View Post
    Strange too that hundreds of sites still want to use us on their site, if we are of no value why do they do that?
    That's not strange. That's just an information problem. A lot of people don't yet know that DMOZ listing are so close to worthless that they aren't worth the time and effort required to fill out a submission form.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  3. Thanked by:

    Mike Dammann (14 July, 2009)

  4. #23
    Mike Dammann's Avatar
    Mike Dammann is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Geographically flexible
    Posts
    964
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 182 Times in 148 Posts
    Autism is a brain development disorder characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

    Autism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Sort of like being on the DMOZ forum where you ask something and have 20 editors replying you with the exact same answer
    For blood type dating go here. If your blood type is rhesus negative, go there. If you are bored and feel like liking a Facebook page, hit this one.

  5. #24
    Anonymously is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    My your descriptions really do fit a serious serial poster on web master forums. Is it a hobby of yours?

    Which site did we not list for you?

    If DMOZ is useless why do you spend sooooo much of your posting time trying to rubbish it.

    I have no problem if your efforts encourage people not to submit, personally I would switch off the submissions and expect editors to know what they are editing sufficiently to be able to build a first class category anyway. Many editors in reality do that.

    But because I lost that debate in DMOZ I think that people who make suggestions should know what the score is and that we are not a listing service and that this is a hobby for editors and that it will be likely a long time before the site gets a review. If they still want to make a submission then I will try and dispel some of the myths people put around and offer the best advice to get noticed. I also am willing to try and help some people understand the process for becoming an editor.

    But when you run short of something to lambast and DMOZ is usually an easy target, please feel free. We are here to help
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    I think that pretty much sums up your entire argument.

    Your not caring that the project has no value outside of your own head is far different than the project actually having value outside of your head.

    I'm glad you enjoy your little sorting project. I've never been a big fan of Solitaire myself, but to each his own.

    It sound though, a lot like some of the symptoms of autism:
    • Stereotypy is repetitive movement, such as hand flapping, making sounds, head rolling, or body rocking.
    • Compulsive behavior is intended and appears to follow rules, such as arranging objects in a certain way.
    • Sameness is resistance to change; for example, insisting that the furniture not be moved or refusing to be interrupted.
    • Ritualistic behavior involves the performance of daily activities the same way each time, such as an unvarying menu or dressing ritual. This is closely associated with sameness and an independent validation has suggested combining the two factors.
    • Restricted behavior is limited in focus, interest, or activity, such as preoccupation with a single television program or toy.




    That's not strange. That's just an information problem. A lot of people don't yet know that DMOZ listing are so close to worthless that they aren't worth the time and effort required to fill out a submission form.
    being on the DMOZ forum where you ask something and have 20 editors replying you with the exact same answer
    Still looking for the others coming

    That post sounded like a starnge echo, looks like you got a shadow Will.

  6. #25
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymously View Post
    If DMOZ is useless why do you spend sooooo much of your posting time trying to rubbish it.
    Same as you -- I am trying to prevent people from submitting sites and having their feelings hurt.

    Additionally though, I am hoping that Google will eventually be shamed into dropping support for DMOZ entirely.

    And, of course, the use of the O in ODP is really just irritating.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  7. Thanked by:

    m42 (25 July, 2009)

  8. #26
    Shenron's Avatar
    Shenron is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,900
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 548 Times in 368 Posts
    O - obnoxious ???

  9. #27
    Anonymously is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Same as you -- I am trying to prevent people from submitting sites and having their feelings hurt.

    Additionally though, I am hoping that Google will eventually be shamed into dropping support for DMOZ entirely.

    And, of course, the use of the O in ODP is really just irritating.
    But trying to be abusive like some of your previous comments, merely means you are seen as a stirrer and not really trying to help people or stop them from having their feelings hurt or likely to have any influence with Google IMO. Much of the comments we give about time delay etc can be found on site anyway. Many of us editors really just try to clarify.

    As I am sure you well know the O is about allowing people to use the data and never did or will have anything to do with opennnes about some editorial matters.

    But mostly their is no secret we tell people we are not a listing service, we tell them we are volunteers, we tell them what sites are acceptable. We keep certain editorial matters to the community because in the end we protect ourselves from serious spam and vandalism. Wikipedia has changed its stance on who can edit over the time it has been in existence and mostly they deal with articles and do not specialise in listing or linking to sites. Some sections were constantaly being vandalised and needed to be rewritten. The opportunity for vandalism and spam is on a much greater scale with DMOZ.

  10. #28
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    The difference between Wikipedia and DMOZ is that Wikia defaults to open and DMOZ defaults to closed.

    The result is that Wikipedia has an unimaginably enormous amount of content and quite impressively high quality, while DMOZ is representing and increasingly smaller percentage of the web and the site selection is poor.

    DMOZ made themselves irrelevant with their own poor choices.

    There is an old saying that goes something like this: "If one person tells you you're a donkey, ignore them. If two people tell you you're a donkey, check for a tail."

    You can respond with hostiliy to every person who posts about the failure of DMOZ -- but that won't actually accomplish anything. It doesn't convince anyone, because it doesn't fix DMOZ. If you really want to improve DMOZ's public reputation, improve DMOZ.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  11. #29
    extreme-seo's Avatar
    extreme-seo is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    LK
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    i haven't faced any problem yet but some of the times working with DMOZ makes me frustrate. Overall its good

  12. #30
    Mike Dammann's Avatar
    Mike Dammann is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Geographically flexible
    Posts
    964
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 182 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    The difference between Wikipedia and DMOZ is that Wikia defaults to open and DMOZ defaults to closed.

    The result is that Wikipedia has an unimaginably enormous amount of content and quite impressively high quality, while DMOZ is representing and increasingly smaller percentage of the web and the site selection is poor.

    DMOZ made themselves irrelevant with their own poor choices.

    There is an old saying that goes something like this: "If one person tells you you're a donkey, ignore them. If two people tell you you're a donkey, check for a tail."

    You can respond with hostiliy to every person who posts about the failure of DMOZ -- but that won't actually accomplish anything. It doesn't convince anyone, because it doesn't fix DMOZ. If you really want to improve DMOZ's public reputation, improve DMOZ.
    Since Geocities is about to close for good, let's make a bet about how many years DMOZ will keep all the Geocities sites listed when the content has already been deleted.
    For blood type dating go here. If your blood type is rhesus negative, go there. If you are bored and feel like liking a Facebook page, hit this one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Twitter Sucks
    By Aquarezz in forum Social Networks
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 23 July, 2009, 19:15 PM
  2. Youtube Sucks!
    By CoreyFreeman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19 July, 2009, 06:24 AM
  3. Spam sucks!
    By m42 in forum Tech-Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24 June, 2009, 14:05 PM
  4. PayPal Sucks
    By Will.Spencer in forum Business
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 13 June, 2009, 06:38 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •