Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Domaining in 2010

  1. #11
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhartzer View Post
    The market would definitely change somewhat if Google put as much emphasis on keyword rich .domains of other TLDs as they do on keyword rich .com domains.
    Google's exact match bonus also works for .net and .org domains, as well as some of the country-specific domain extensions (not .us though!).

    I think that .net and .org domains are undervalued, compared to .com domains.

    As a result, I own 743 .org domains and 484 .net domains -- but only 269 .com domains.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  2. #12
    Sami4u's Avatar
    Sami4u is offline Butterflies Forever
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,421
    Thanks
    695
    Thanked 292 Times in 220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    I own 743 .org domains and 484 .net domains -- but only 269 .com domains.
    Hi,

    And a partridge in a pear tree

    Off topic but I must ask. How many people do you have working for you total to help with all those sites?

    Sami

    P.S. I have been buying .org now and quit buying .info.
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  3. #13
    javanx3d's Avatar
    javanx3d is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 237 Times in 164 Posts
    @Will,
    Yup, same thing on "put your city here Dentists" too....below the fold...

  4. #14
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami4u View Post
    Off topic but I must ask. How many people do you have working for you total to help with all those sites?
    I really don't know anymore. I work with vendors who both hire people and contract out work. This makes a "realistic" count impossible.

    We have about a dozen full-time people right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sami4u View Post
    P.S. I have been buying .org now and quit buying .info.
    Me too. I've been letting a lot of my .info's lapse.

    Quote Originally Posted by javanx3d View Post
    Yup, same thing on "put your city here Dentists" too....below the fold...
    Google is becoming less of a search engine for the web and more of the web themselves. Eventually, this could strangle the life out of the web.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  5. #15
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Google is becoming less of a search engine for the web and more of the web themselves. Eventually, this could strangle the life out of the web.
    There's always the type-in traffic which will keep the premium on the .com tld.

  6. #16
    dcristo is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    There's always the type-in traffic which will keep the premium on the .com tld.
    Yes, but you need a premium .com to be getting decent type in traffic. It's next to impossible to hand reg a .com with type in traffic nowadays. To the average end user, if they can register a .com for $7 why would they pay hundreds or thousands for the domain you are trying to sell them, unless it's something special? Which is the reason the same old garbage domains just change hands between resellers.

  7. Thanked by:

    bogart (8 March, 2010)

  8. #17
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcristo View Post
    Yes, but you need a premium .com to be getting decent type in traffic. It's next to impossible to hand reg a .com with type in traffic nowadays. To the average end user, if they can register a .com for $7 why would they pay hundreds or thousands for the domain you are trying to sell them, unless it's something special? Which is the reason the same old garbage domains just change hands between resellers.
    You're right that the premium .com(s) are usually the only domains getting decent type-in traffic. Though some companies have branded a domain and are able to get some type-ins. I see quite a few people putting urls into the address bar and not bothering to add the tld. It seems that the default is .com. So unless the user remembers to add the domain extension, the website would loose the traffic if it wasn't a .com

  9. #18
    ezyweb is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    2009 was a rough year - I simply help onto my domains and the top ones should sell at a decent price this year. On average my profits remained the same throughout 2009 from domains
    Build a Web App - build your own profitable web app and earn a passive income

    Packing Cubes - how I stay organized on the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. A Domaining Mistake I Almost Made
    By javanx3d in forum Domaining
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15 May, 2010, 09:21 AM
  2. 2010 NFL Draft
    By el canadiano in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23 April, 2010, 00:09 AM
  3. Domaining Business. How to start?
    By rome9t9 in forum Domaining
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10 October, 2009, 21:37 PM
  4. Nazbo wins Domaining SEO Contest
    By Lalucochin in forum Domaining
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8 October, 2009, 03:43 AM
  5. Domaining?
    By lethalboom in forum Domaining
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14 May, 2009, 21:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •