Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Plural vs singular forms

  1. #1
    JOSHMONGAN's Avatar
    JOSHMONGAN is offline GO DAWGS
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Plural vs singular forms

    If I want the domain soccerballs.com but only soccerball.com is available, how much of a difference would this make in the potential value of this domain. Say that soccer balls is searched 2x more on google. Also if someone searches soccer balls would mine still pop up as a decently ranked result for this even though I dont have the s at the end.
    Last edited by JOSHMONGAN; 1 August, 2009 at 08:46 AM.

  2. #2
    badmash's Avatar
    badmash is offline Aham Brahmasmi
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    661
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 139 Times in 110 Posts
    I think this don't make too much difference in value if you have good content and exact keyword in header and promotions . I have seen many domain names like this in google which rank similar to them .

    If you search for soccerball.com then many times you can find soccerballs.com on front page too where s will be taken as silent . Believe me I have seen many domain while making search in google .

  3. #3
    tmongy's Avatar
    tmongy is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 102 Times in 68 Posts
    Yes it would rank decently despite the difference in the "s". You would not get the full exact match bonus, but you would still rank well.

    As an example, I have a website where I had to take the domain with an extra "s" because the singular was already taken (I was targeting the singular form keyword). After about 5 months of being live, the website ranks #2 for the plural form due to exact match bonus, and ranks #8 for the singular form which was the original keyword I was intending to target. I'm sure with a little for work and time I will also be able to move it up to #1 or 2, but it is a lot easier with an exact match domain.

  4. #4
    badmash's Avatar
    badmash is offline Aham Brahmasmi
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    661
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 139 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmongy View Post
    Yes it would rank decently despite the difference in the "s". You would not get the full exact match bonus, but you would still rank well.

    As an example, I have a website where I had to take the domain with an extra "s" because the singular was already taken (I was targeting the singular form keyword). After about 5 months of being live, the website ranks #2 for the plural form due to exact match bonus, and ranks #8 for the singular form which was the original keyword I was intending to target. I'm sure with a little for work and time I will also be able to move it up to #1 or 2, but it is a lot easier with an exact match domain.
    Yes exact keyword domain name help us a lot in good rankings . Most of such domains are purchased by website flippers and once they get good ranking , websites are sold for good amount .

  5. #5
    Charles's Avatar
    Charles is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    On the Bike
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 311 Times in 212 Posts
    It would not rank badly, but the plural (i.e. the exact match) would rank even better.

  6. #6
    Szise is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    426
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts
    Soccerballs.com will rank better (exact match), you can also try soccer-balls.com. Should be a very good alternative because people search "soccer balls" not "soccerballs".
    ...

  7. #7
    badmash's Avatar
    badmash is offline Aham Brahmasmi
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    661
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 139 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Szise View Post
    Soccerballs.com will rank better (exact match), you can also try soccer-balls.com. Should be a very good alternative because people search "soccer balls" not "soccerballs".
    Thanks for the nice tip buddy . Now I come to know why people use this minus sing gap between domain names now .

  8. #8
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,101
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 917 Times in 701 Posts
    You should consider how many times people search for each variation .

    Here is what Google says is the monthly search total for each.

    soccerball 27,100

    soccerballs 4,400

    soccer ball 673,000

    soccer balls 165,000


    It looks to me like the singular versions are a better choice.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  9. #9
    Dr. Stavros is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    soccerball 27,100
    soccerballs 4,400
    soccer ball 673,000
    soccer balls 165,000
    I take it that you used the Google Keyword Tool to make that list. Well, if you select "Match Type: Exact", which you should in this case, the "Global Monthly Search Volume" results change a bit:

    [soccerball] 27,100
    [soccerballs] 5,400
    [soccer ball] 165,000
    [soccer balls] 60,500

    ...but the message is pretty much the same.

  10. #10
    Dr. Stavros is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badmash View Post
    Now I come to know why people use this minus sing gap between domain names now .
    Hi! You might be interested in reading this short page about hyphenation in domain names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My free online web forms builder
    By yangyang in forum Site Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25 May, 2010, 10:24 AM
  2. Singular and Plural Domain Names
    By jakki in forum Domaining
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6 April, 2010, 22:17 PM
  3. Basic forms of ownership
    By toyo123 in forum Business
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5 September, 2009, 12:00 PM
  4. [WTH] PHP/Javascript Coder to code 2 Forms
    By 1901gt in forum Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8 July, 2009, 17:17 PM
  5. [WTH] Looking for php coder to code 2 forms
    By 1901gt in forum Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14 May, 2009, 22:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •