Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Legalize Democracy Film | Move to Amend Documentary

  1. #1
    Franc Tireur is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 148 Times in 118 Posts

    Legalize Democracy Film | Move to Amend Documentary

    Legalize Democracy is a 30 minute documentary about Move to Amend. Fast-paced and action-oriented, this DVD is a great tool for folks looking to get involved in Move to Amend or help spread the word.

    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

    Voltaire


  2. #2
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    3,050
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 909 Times in 694 Posts
    That video is loaded with a little too much extraordinarily lame, socialist rationale. Nothing would work if it worked the way those people envision it should.

    Allowing people to vote to redistribute the wealth from the few who know how to earn it is not Democracy--it is Communism. It does not solve a single long-term problem, but creates many more. Unfortunately, the socialist idealists in the video seem to be oblivious to that fact.

    I don't really care if the wealth is concentrated with a relatively few people. They are the people who invest in the economy and major businesses that drive the economy. I have never been given a job by someone who was not wealthy.

    No one has ever thrived under Communism except its leaders.

    Yeah, I strongly agree that the current system is corrupted, but allowing the people to decide through an actual Democratic process doesn't solve anything. People, by nature, are too greedy and self-centered. You will simply see more people voting like Obama-voters and will vote for things that benefit them directly. The entire process becomes more contentious and chaotic.

    What we need is a movement focused on what is good for the country, not special interest groups or socialization. However, actually defining what is good for the country is an entirely different discussion that people will never agree upon.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  3. #3
    Franc Tireur is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 148 Times in 118 Posts
    You know that this documentary is about lobbyism and the negative effect of corporations political influence? right?

    The other main subject is that you can change the rules of the society by a very strong popular support and activism, nothing is engrave in stone!

    Now, it depends of your perspective to join or not these grassroots movement.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

    Voltaire


  4. #4
    Franc Tireur is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 148 Times in 118 Posts
    And to make it more Humanist and American spirited like I am, take a closer look at the Preamble to the United States Constitution:

    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

    This enlightening text doesn't mean We the Corporations...see?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

    Voltaire


  5. #5
    Bob Barr is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Morgan Hill, California
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    The Founders were fundamentally (and adamantly) opposed to establishing the US as a democracy. By establishing us as a republic, our constitution provides some protection against our becoming a democracy. That protection was significantly weakened with the passage of the 17th Amendment which provides for the popular election of US senators.

    Do you really want 51% of the people deciding your fate if you happen to be in the other 49%?

  6. #6
    Franc Tireur is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 148 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
    Do you really want 51% of the people deciding your fate if you happen to be in the other 49%?
    What other reasonable system do you offer? A minority taking power by force like any tyrannical state?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

    Voltaire


  7. #7
    Bob Barr is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Morgan Hill, California
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franc Tireur View Post
    What other reasonable system do you offer? A minority taking power by force like any tyrannical state?
    A constitutional republic in which the minority is protected by law, not by the whim of the majority.

    What's the difference between a minority and a majority taking power like any tyrannical state? If 51% of the people agree, does that make their tyranny less tyrannical than some minority's tyranny?

  8. #8
    Franc Tireur is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 148 Times in 118 Posts
    A constitutional democracy is a representative democracy in which the government's power is restricted by a constitution.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

    Voltaire


  9. #9
    Bob Barr is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Morgan Hill, California
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franc Tireur View Post
    A constitutional democracy is a representative democracy in which the government's power is restricted by a constitution.
    The word "democracy" never appears in the US Constitution. We are a constitutional republic.

    On the other hand, the states are guaranteed a "Republican Form of Government" (Article iV, Section IV)

    "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government and shall protect each of them against invasion;...

  10. #10
    Franc Tireur is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 148 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
    The word "democracy" never appears in the US Constitution. We are a constitutional republic.

    On the other hand, the states are guaranteed a "Republican Form of Government" (Article iV, Section IV)

    "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government and shall protect each of them against invasion;...
    What democracy does it mean to you and what makes the words " We The People" for you?

    For me the translation from Greek to English is that: democracy means "rule of the people" in opposite of aristocracy "rule of an elite". Now if I compare the significance of this to the US constitution "We The People", the founding fathers wrote the Constitution to prevent the government or elite abuses of The People, it is in my opinion the true spirit of this Republic.

    Now to answer you, I believe that the basic of a Republic is a form of government in which power is held by the people, otherwise it is not a Republic.

    Bob I recommend you to read Montesquieu about his political philosophy. Please note that Montesquieu's work remained a powerful influence on many of the American founders, most notably James Madison of Virginia, the "Father of the Constitution".
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

    Voltaire


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •