Before you sign that six month contract with a hosting company:
A few things to ask:
- What hosting services do you provide?
- Do you provide cPanel or a similar menu-based application?
- Do you provide backup services? How often? Is it something you configure or something I have to configure on my own?
- Do you provide Agora or a similiar shopping cart application? Is it something you configure or something I have to configure on my own?
- Do you provide or run web statistics software? How often? Can I make arrangements to run stats on demand?
- What support services do you provide?
- What are your support hours?
- How do you charge?
If by throughput and disk space, will you suspend my service if I surpass the monthly quotas or just bill me for the overage?
- If I register a domain name with you, will it be under my name or yours?
- If I register a domain with you, can I transfer it --regardless of reason, sans notice, and whenever I choose, without having to worry about extra charges?
- Do you offer SSH upon request?
- Have you disabled any .htaccess options?
Anything missing? Feel free to add it!
♥ ( ★ ♣ ♦ ☋
Good list, also:
Do you have access to real people at the data center where the server is located to quickly resolve any issues?
How long have you been in business/ How many people do you employ/ What is your monthly turnover (these are good indicators of the reliability of the host.) Beware of lies though, a lot of web hosts especially on WHT are the CEO, CTO & Support crew rolled into 1. A 1 man show does not work in the hosting business unless support is outsourced. A hosting company with xxx or xxxx customers can't have 1 person answering all the support tickets.
Also, avoid shared hosts that oversell. You probably don't need 500GB space to host a few websites, especially at the cost of $5/month. Hostluck.com is 1 of the better options for reliable, non oversold cheap hosting.
How many different IP's do you offer?
How can I extend those?
Thanks for this thread. It helped in creating our FAQ here at NetBuilders.
To Add :
Q) Do you allow warez hosting, nulled scripts and hack or crack tools or proxies or ponzi related sites ?
Q) Can i have a Ping / Speed Test ?
Q) Do you offer unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth?
Q) Does your hosting has DDOS Protection / Firewall / AntiVirus?
Some questions I've been asked in the past:
Do you have a server status script similar to Status2K where I can see the current status of your server?
How big is your server's hard drive?
What is the connection speed?
Am I able to run proxies on your hosting?
How much RAM / CPU are we allowed to use before being suspended?
Is Shell available? If so is it jailed or normal?
Is the price I pay locked in or will it increase over time?
Will I be able to host more than a hundred domains or will you suspend me?
Do you have a SLA (Service Level Agreement) in place?
If I opt to pay yearly is there a discount available?
All Great information.
Quality hosting on non oversold servers. 24/7 365 support 99.9% up time 30 day money back Guarantee.