Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: How accurate is Google's keyword tool?

  1. #1
    Hulbert Lee is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How accurate is Google's keyword tool?

    How accurate is Google AdWords Keyword Tool for determining daily visitors? Is there a better keyword tool for this?

  2. #2
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    2,946
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 883 Times in 671 Posts
    It doesn't determine daily visitors. It merely estimates the number of searches performed in Google for a search phrase during the previous month. Make sure that you select phrase match or exact match when using the Keyword Tool or you will be working with almost meaningless numbers.

    Daily visitors are a result of a good rank position and how enticing you make the HTML title tag and snippet. Retaining those visitors is the result of a good design and useful content.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  3. #3
    dmi's Avatar
    dmi
    dmi is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N43°54′, E017°40′
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    It's not accurate.

  4. #4
    Hulbert Lee is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    It doesn't determine daily visitors. It merely estimates the number of searches performed in Google for a search phrase during the previous month. Make sure that you select phrase match or exact match when using the Keyword Tool or you will be working with almost meaningless numbers.

    Daily visitors are a result of a good rank position and how enticing you make the HTML title tag and snippet. Retaining those visitors is the result of a good design and useful content.
    I understand, but couldn't you divide the exact searches for the previous month by 30 to get an estimated number of searches per day?

  5. #5
    TopDogger's Avatar
    TopDogger is offline Über Hund
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hellfire, AZ
    Posts
    2,946
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 883 Times in 671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulbert Lee View Post
    I understand, but couldn't you divide the exact searches for the previous month by 30 to get an estimated number of searches per day?
    Yes, you could, but how is that number any more valuable than the monthly number? The number of searches is just one factor in estimating potential traffic. A page still has to rank well and the search results listing has to attract visitors. There is no direct correlation between the number of searches and the number of visitors you will get. There are other factors to consider. If the targeted web page doesn't make it into at least a top 30 rank position, the amount of traffic you will get will likely be close to zero, even it there are a hundreds of thousands of searches per month for a keyword phrase.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  6. #6
    Hulbert Lee is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    Yes, you could, but how is that number any more valuable than the monthly number? The number of searches is just one factor in estimating potential traffic. A page still has to rank well and the search results listing has to attract visitors. There is no direct correlation between the number of searches and the number of visitors you will get. There are other factors to consider. If the targeted web page doesn't make it into at least a top 30 rank position, the amount of traffic you will get will likely be close to zero, even it there are a hundreds of thousands of searches per month for a keyword phrase.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

  7. #7
    iowadawg's Avatar
    iowadawg is offline Free Cell Champion
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not in Texas
    Posts
    2,012
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked 353 Times in 302 Posts
    TopDogger speaks the truth!
    Number of searches does NOT equate to number of visitors.

    I find that sellers of domains and sites just love to quote the number of searches for either a keyword or a domain related keyword.
    EG: domain for sale now on another forum is: xxxxx.TV
    Seller says that there are xxx,xxx searches per month.
    Now how many potential buyers will say, gee...look at the visitors I will get.
    Or the fact that it is a .tv domain and the searches may be specific to only .com/.biz/.net?

  8. #8
    Mafiamaster's Avatar
    Mafiamaster is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Here's a way to think about it:

    Google Keyword Tool tells you that there are 1000 monthly searches for a specific keyword. That means that the keyword gets 1000 people searching for it per month which is a little over 33 a day.

    Now, you work and you work and you work to get to the #1 position. And finally, you get there! You're so excited because you're going to get 1000 visitors. Except, that's wrong. According to search data, 42% of people click on the 1st position. So, you're only going to get 420 visitors.

    Now, there are ways to increase and decrease this success. If the exact search phrase is what you have in your <title> tag, people are more likely to click it because that's what they were looking for. If you put in a good description that is concise with the search phrase again, it will further entice the person to click on it. And that can increase the CTR from 42% to whatever really.

    However, that's half the battle. Now, if they come to your site and NO ONE stays, then you're not really gaining anything are you? And, user metrics are increasingly gauging where you rank in the SERPs. So, you might rank #1, but after about a month of having a bounce rate at 95%, suddenly you drop. If no one is finding value, why would Google keep you there? So, it becomes increasingly important for you to increase the user engagement on your site.

  9. #9
    bhartzer is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    502
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 135 Times in 101 Posts
    Google's tool really is only an estimate--they don't want people mining the data. If you want the real numbers then you have to use MSN AdCenter data.
    Need links? Try AuthorLinks where you can buy or sell links based on Authorship and Klout score. Check out my blog or like me on Facebook.

  10. #10
    greatar4 is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Homestead, Fl
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    It doesn't determine daily visitors. It merely estimates the number of searches performed in Google for a search phrase during the previous month. Make sure that you select phrase match or exact match when using the Keyword Tool or you will be working with almost meaningless numbers.

    Daily visitors are a result of a good rank position and how enticing you make the HTML title tag and snippet. Retaining those visitors is the result of a good design and useful content.
    Why when checking "Exact match or Phrase" the number of monthly search volumes seem to be much lower? When checking the Exact Match the numbers are much lower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •