Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: How accurate is Google's keyword tool?

Hybrid View

  1. How accurate is Google's keyword tool?

    How accurate is Google AdWords Keyword Tool for determining daily visitors? Is there a better keyword tool for this?

  2. #2
    It doesn't determine daily visitors. It merely estimates the number of searches performed in Google for a search phrase during the previous month. Make sure that you select phrase match or exact match when using the Keyword Tool or you will be working with almost meaningless numbers.

    Daily visitors are a result of a good rank position and how enticing you make the HTML title tag and snippet. Retaining those visitors is the result of a good design and useful content.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  3. Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    It doesn't determine daily visitors. It merely estimates the number of searches performed in Google for a search phrase during the previous month. Make sure that you select phrase match or exact match when using the Keyword Tool or you will be working with almost meaningless numbers.

    Daily visitors are a result of a good rank position and how enticing you make the HTML title tag and snippet. Retaining those visitors is the result of a good design and useful content.
    I understand, but couldn't you divide the exact searches for the previous month by 30 to get an estimated number of searches per day?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulbert Lee View Post
    I understand, but couldn't you divide the exact searches for the previous month by 30 to get an estimated number of searches per day?
    Yes, you could, but how is that number any more valuable than the monthly number? The number of searches is just one factor in estimating potential traffic. A page still has to rank well and the search results listing has to attract visitors. There is no direct correlation between the number of searches and the number of visitors you will get. There are other factors to consider. If the targeted web page doesn't make it into at least a top 30 rank position, the amount of traffic you will get will likely be close to zero, even it there are a hundreds of thousands of searches per month for a keyword phrase.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  5. Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    Yes, you could, but how is that number any more valuable than the monthly number? The number of searches is just one factor in estimating potential traffic. A page still has to rank well and the search results listing has to attract visitors. There is no direct correlation between the number of searches and the number of visitors you will get. There are other factors to consider. If the targeted web page doesn't make it into at least a top 30 rank position, the amount of traffic you will get will likely be close to zero, even it there are a hundreds of thousands of searches per month for a keyword phrase.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    If the targeted web page doesn't make it into at least a top 30 rank position, the amount of traffic you will get will likely be close to zero, even it there are a hundreds of thousands of searches per month for a keyword phrase.
    Even sites below the fold on page #1 may get little or no traffic depending on the keyword. Buyers in the purchase funnel stages may visit the top 30 depending on the cost/technology of the product. But, people doing casual or informational type searches rarely go beyond the top five.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    It doesn't determine daily visitors. It merely estimates the number of searches performed in Google for a search phrase during the previous month. Make sure that you select phrase match or exact match when using the Keyword Tool or you will be working with almost meaningless numbers.

    Daily visitors are a result of a good rank position and how enticing you make the HTML title tag and snippet. Retaining those visitors is the result of a good design and useful content.
    Why when checking "Exact match or Phrase" the number of monthly search volumes seem to be much lower? When checking the Exact Match the numbers are much lower.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by greatar4 View Post
    Why when checking "Exact match or Phrase" the number of monthly search volumes seem to be much lower? When checking the Exact Match the numbers are much lower.
    Yes, that is correct. A phrase match gives an estimate of now many times the keyword phrase has been used as part of a search phrase. The exact match estimates how many times that exact phrase was used in a search. A broad match estimates how many times any word in the phrase is used in a search.

    For example, if users are searching for 'Netbuilders webmaster forum' and you are using the tool to see how many times people are searching for the phrase 'webmasters forum', each user search would add one exact match count to 'Netbuilders webmaster forum', but no exact match count to 'webmaster forum'. However, a phrase match count would be added to 'webmaster forum' because it is a subset of the actual search phrase. The phrase match estimate does not tell you how many times people searched for 'Netbuilders webmaster forum'. The phrase match estimate only tells you how many times 'webmaster forum' was used as part of the search phrase for user searches.

    Broad match numbers are irrelevant because they can mean whatever Google wants them to mean.

    Broad match gives you the largest estimate. Phrase match gives a smaller number. Exact match typically yields the smallest number. For some search phrases that are commonly used, phrase match and exact match estimates can be the same.

    Here are Google's definitions for matching options.

    What are keyword matching options? - AdWords Help
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N43°54′, E017°40′
    Posts
    242
    It's not accurate.

  10. #10
    TopDogger speaks the truth!
    Number of searches does NOT equate to number of visitors.

    I find that sellers of domains and sites just love to quote the number of searches for either a keyword or a domain related keyword.
    EG: domain for sale now on another forum is: xxxxx.TV
    Seller says that there are xxx,xxx searches per month.
    Now how many potential buyers will say, gee...look at the visitors I will get.
    Or the fact that it is a .tv domain and the searches may be specific to only .com/.biz/.net?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •