Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Donations

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    498

    Donations

    About a week ago I read Darren Rowse's post on Donations and found amazingly useful.

    http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...on-to-my-blog/

    What he says is that donations buttons aren't 'in' as they used to be. But if you still want to try, you'll have to fill some criteras:
    1. a very large readership - a small % will always be willing to donate but to get enough to live off you’d need a large readership
    2. a very loyal readership - obsessed readers who simply couldn’t live without the blog who were willing to dip into their own pockets to keep it running. Of course to get this high loyalty you need to provide readers with something that they can’t live without whether that be some kind of service or fulfillment of a need of some kind.
    3. no other forms of income - I think sites with lots of other income streams (advertising, affiliate programs) would be likely to see a decreased chance of readers contributing as there would be a perception that the blog was already making money
    I kept on reading (I suggest you do so) and saw an comment from someone named Alexander (comment #17). The guy adds a link to the Donate Plus plugin for WordPress. It's like a top commentators wall, but for donnors.
    The donor can promote his name and website, along with some comments on the Recognition Wall

    Do you have or consider ading a donation form on your website?

    I do. But only when my website will become famous enough.

  2. #2
    Personally, I wouldn't put one on my blog. I try and make my blog completely for my readers, so by putting up a donate option I feel it'd be unfair on my readers who already take the time to come and visit my blog. The fact they do that (and leave a comment) means more to me than a couple of dollars.

    That said, I would probably think differently if I was running a huge blog.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't put one on my blog. I try and make my blog completely for my readers, so by putting up a donate option I feel it'd be unfair on my readers who already take the time to come and visit my blog. The fact they do that (and leave a comment) means more to me than a couple of dollars.
    But would you do it under exceptionnal cicumstances or for a month only? I don't know if you went through all the comments on Rowse's post, but some people are doing it and it seems to work pretty well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That said, I would probably think differently if I was running a huge blog.
    I wish you so for the future.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic SEO View Post
    But would you do it under exceptionnal cicumstances or for a month only? I don't know if you went through all the comments on Rowse's post, but some people are doing it and it seems to work pretty well.
    They would have to be REALLY exceptional circumstances. In my opinion, the donation box looks a bit 'charity like', and that doesn't look very professional. I think people should think more about the overall image of their blog rather than just how much money they can milk out of it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Yes, you are right about the charity aspect. I would even dare to say that it would look like begging.

    But honestly, I don't think it is such an issue IF it's your only source of income on your blog (that means, no ads, no affiliate programs, no nothing!).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic SEO View Post
    Yes, you are right about the charity aspect. I would even dare to say that it would look like begging.

    But honestly, I don't think it is such an issue IF it's your only source of income on your blog (that means, no ads, no affiliate programs, no nothing!).
    Ah, very good point there, but then relying on other people's generousity probably isn't the smartest business move There are different plugins nowadays that make the 'donate' button look a bit more classy. I remember a while ago there was a 'buy me a beer' plugin that was spoken about on here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Ah, very good point there, but then relying on other people's generousity probably isn't the smartest business move There are different plugins nowadays that make the 'donate' button look a bit more classy. I remember a while ago there was a 'buy me a beer' plugin that was spoken about on here.
    Indeed. http://www.webmasterpeers.com/buy-me-beer-t284.html

    You see, that would be a plugin I wouldn't install because basically you ask people to give you money to waste on alchool. At least when you ask for donations, try to have a good reason.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic SEO View Post
    You see, that would be a plugin I wouldn't install because basically you ask people to give you money to waste on alchool. At least when you ask for donations, try to have a good reason.
    I think that plugin allows you to say 'buy me a coffee', too

    Personally I feel the point of that plugin is to add a bit of fun to donating. Seeing something that says 'buy me a beer' is much more appealing/fun than just a Paypal style button that says 'Donate'. It's all about persuading people to donate.

  9. #9
    I'm not add donation button because i have a reason. In my blog, i just not give other people something usefull yet, so for what people donate for me?
    If i'm still add it, it's looks like a beggar.

    Maybe if i'm make "software download" forum or "free internet course" site which usefull, i will add it

  10. #10
    In that case, just find another donation plug-in which request donation for good reason .

    But, as a reader, i feel i'm not feel annoyed with the excisteness of donation button. It's just a small button which commonly placed on ruight-bottom of the page.

    But yeah, maybe if it's placed in top or using big size, it will be annoying. And as stated, if that site giving something usefull, request donation is appropriate. In my case as a reader, i ever donate 2-3x times to anime mp3 provider.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [IPS] Donations for Autism Research and Support
    By StephenM in forum Community Software
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23 July, 2010, 09:08 AM
  2. Innovative Ways Of Getting Donations
    By Farrhad A in forum Monetizing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14 June, 2009, 09:53 AM
  3. Donations
    By Charles in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10 January, 2009, 02:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •