Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Monetising an auto site

  1. #11
    Shenron's Avatar
    Shenron is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,900
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 548 Times in 368 Posts
    Technical specifications, pictures and videos.

  2. #12
    Loko's Avatar
    Loko is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    964
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked 347 Times in 241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blogger View Post
    If you are an auto enthusiast, what would you want in an auto site other than news and reviews?
    Possibly a Forum and a Marketplace.

  3. #13
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blogger View Post
    If you are an auto enthusiast, what would you want in an auto site other than news and reviews?
    I think I'd look at TopGear and learn whatever I could from watching their strategies and tactics. They seem to have come out of nowhere and taken over the market in an amazingly short period of time.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  4. #14
    Stylosa's Avatar
    Stylosa is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    I think I'd look at TopGear and learn whatever I could from watching their strategies and tactics. They seem to have come out of nowhere and taken over the market in an amazingly short period of time.
    As in the UK based show?

    Cars, driving, Jeremy Clarkson, James May, Richard Hammond - BBC Top Gear

    If thats what you're talking about then that tv series is absolutely massive in the UK and I believe its one of the biggest tv show exports the BBC have.

    Seeing these stats quoted for pageviews per month really puts my current state into perspective!

  5. #15
    sam's Avatar
    sam
    sam is offline Get Back To Work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 98 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blogger View Post
    Despite the relative success of the site, its still a small fry in its niche. I am still looking for ideas as to how I can make it a more well-rounded site for auto enthusiasts. If you are an auto enthusiast, what would you want in an auto site other than news and reviews?
    I think guides for how to do things like installing a turbo charger or body kit but this could be solved by adding a wiki sort of thing where people can post up there own guides

  6. #16
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    You could give out some free cars (Might cost a lot of money)

    I think the best thing you could do is visit all your competitors websites/various forums blogs relating to the auto niche. Sign up and become a regular visitor to all these websites. Make a list of all the features and stuff these websites do. The next step is to do everything on this list. Copying is good, as long as you do it BETTER than your competitors. You will also get recognized when your website is a "one stop shop" in the industry (even though you may not theoretically be a "shop" ).

  7. #17
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylosa View Post
    As in the UK based show?
    Yep. It's a car show that even non-enthusiast can enjoy watching.

    And it's a web site too!
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  8. #18
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Yep. It's a car show that even non-enthusiast can enjoy watching.
    I don't really have an interest in cars, I don't own one and only drive when I go home for holidays but Top Gear is definitely one of my favorite shows. It does not get boring and watch all the episodes from start to finish (have them on my pc). It is weird how a single tv show about a specific topic can appeal to so many people, make your auto website like this and it will definitely go good but getting it to do that would be very hard.

  9. #19
    Stylosa's Avatar
    Stylosa is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Yep. It's a car show that even non-enthusiast can enjoy watching.

    And it's a web site too!
    Maybe will is the stig? Anyways thats whay off topic!

  10. #20
    Blogger is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    Technical specifications, pictures and videos.
    Have those.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loko View Post
    Possibly a Forum and a Marketplace.
    Good points. I am thinking about adding a classifieds where people can list their cars for sale by city. This will be restricted to the US and UK (possibly Canada and Australia as well). It will be free initially. Does anyone know a good script? I think a forum is a must but haven't really given this a real consideration, but I will be adding it soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    I think I'd look at TopGear and learn whatever I could from watching their strategies and tactics. They seem to have come out of nowhere and taken over the market in an amazingly short period of time.
    Will take a look at their site. Do watch the show from time as I am in the UK myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    I think guides for how to do things like installing a turbo charger or body kit but this could be solved by adding a wiki sort of thing where people can post up there own guides
    Good point. I can add such things as pages ont h blog by hiring a content writer. I can take the Wiki direction, but don't know how successful it will be.

    Quote Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
    You could give out some free cars (Might cost a lot of money)

    I think the best thing you could do is visit all your competitors websites/various forums blogs relating to the auto niche. Sign up and become a regular visitor to all these websites. Make a list of all the features and stuff these websites do. The next step is to do everything on this list. Copying is good, as long as you do it BETTER than your competitors. You will also get recognized when your website is a "one stop shop" in the industry (even though you may not theoretically be a "shop" ).
    Always willing to learn and do visit other sites sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [Free] auto bookmarking for wp
    By SonnyCooL in forum Scripts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7 March, 2010, 16:47 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14 September, 2009, 13:50 PM
  3. Stop Auto Subscribing Me!!!
    By CoreyFreeman in forum Blogging
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26 August, 2009, 22:58 PM
  4. Auto DM's?
    By Mac in forum Social Networks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 3 June, 2009, 08:32 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18 May, 2009, 19:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •