Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Carter to Obama: Remove Hamas From Terror List

  1. #1

    Carter to Obama: Remove Hamas From Terror List

    Former President Jimmy Carter says he will ask the Obama administration to remove the militant Palestinian group from the U.S.-designated terror list, just as Hamas says it foiled a bomb plot against Carter..

    Carter to Obama: Remove Hamas From Terror List - Political News - FOXNews.com

    *grumble* They allegedly save one life and murder hundreds/thousands of others. He's already been one of their biggest supporters in the west.
    (

    Diet Fads

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Obama is a kind of Jimmy Carter II. They both market themselves on hope and change.

  3. #3
    Yes. The similarities are uncanny!

    What was it Carter said he was combating? The Misery Index? Yet somehow he managed to nail us with 21% interest rates and unemployment rates near 14 percent?

    It's sad how much we've forgotten in 30 years.
    (

    Diet Fads

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    Yes. The similarities are uncanny!

    What was it Carter said he was combating? The Misery Index? Yet somehow he managed to nail us with 21% interest rates and unemployment rates near 14 percent?

    It's sad how much we've forgotten in 30 years.
    Inflation is a slow process. It wasn't over three years for the US to do into the 1980 recession that was caused by inflation and raising interest rates.

    Unemployment actually bottomed at 5.6% during 1979.

    If history repeats itself, we will see a nice economic climate in 2011 but followed by 5 years or so of high interest rates and high unemployment.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    Inflation is a slow process. It wasn't over three years for the US to do into the 1980 recession that was caused by inflation and raising interest rates.

    Unemployment actually bottomed at 5.6% during 1979.

    If history repeats itself, we will see a nice economic climate in 2011 but followed by 5 years or so of high interest rates and high unemployment.
    Excellent points. I looked at the bis.gov stats. You are absolutely right. It wasn't until the mid-eighties that we really saw the 10% unemployment rates.

    I do wonder at how much the newfound frugality of the American people is helping to keep inflation in check.

    I'm also going to have to disagree on one thing though. I do believe it's possible to introduce catalysts that cause serious impacts to economic climates in a very short term.
    (

    Diet Fads

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    Excellent points. I looked at the bis.gov stats. You are absolutely right. It wasn't until the mid-eighties that we really saw the 10% unemployment rates.
    The unemployment rate peaked in the early 80's.

    The US had a mild recession from January to July 1980. It was followed by a second "double-dip" recession that started July 1981 and ended in November 1982.

    May 1979 5.6%
    Jul 1980 7.8%
    Nov 1982 10.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    I do wonder at how much the newfound frugality of the American people is helping to keep inflation in check.
    You are correct. People aren't spending because they are sacred. As soon as people start to feel confidence in the economy, there will be to many dollars chasing to few good and services. Inflation will explode.

    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    I'm also going to have to disagree on one thing though. I do believe it's possible to introduce catalysts that cause serious impacts to economic climates in a very short term.
    Dick Morris believes that inflation will start in 18 months. That is if we are lucky. Inflation can explode at any time. It wasn't that long ago that oil was $147 a barrel.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart
    The unemployment rate peaked in the early 80's.

    The US had a mild recession from January to July 1980. It was followed by a second "double-dip" recession that started July 1981 and ended in November 1982.

    May 1979 5.6%
    Jul 1980 7.8%
    Nov 1982 10.8%
    Yep. Rounded up instead of drawing a line across the query results (range) with my cursor.

    You are correct. People aren't spending because they are sacred. As soon as people start to feel confidence in the economy, there will be to many dollars chasing to few good and services. Inflation will explode.

    Dick Morris believes that inflation will start in 18 months. That is if we are lucky. Inflation can explode at any time. It wasn't that long ago that oil was $147 a barrel.
    Then people get what they deserve, no? We can't just blame the government. The burden of responsibility is also on us to keep inflation in check.
    (

    Diet Fads

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    Yep. Rounded up instead of drawing a line across the query results (range) with my cursor.
    The timeline is important. If you say mid eighties the liberals will start blaming President Reagan.

    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    Then people get what they deserve, no? We can't just blame the government. The burden of responsibility is also on us to keep inflation in check.
    The government is to blame for printing trillions of excess dollars and inflating the money supply. As long as people don't spend their own money and velocity of money is low, we won't have inflation. Think of it this way, Obama sends everyone in the US $1 million. Everyone piles the the money in their closet or garage. Perhaps they put the money in the bank for 1% interest. Inflation will be tame. Even though we are swimming in money.

    In the end, everyone is sitting on a useless pile of cash. Because there aren't enough goods and services available to cover the money.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart
    The timeline is important. If you say mid eighties the liberals will start blaming President Reagan.
    Fair enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by bogart
    The government is to blame for printing trillions of excess dollars and inflating the money supply....
    Yes. The government we voted into office. The burden is still on us to keep them in check.
    (

    Diet Fads

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    Yes. The government we voted into office. The burden is still on us to keep them in check.
    It's too late to put a check on the spending. Barry Obama doesn't care if he is a one term President.









Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11 September, 2010, 21:26 PM
  2. Remove Category plugin ?
    By SonnyCooL in forum Wordpress
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19 January, 2010, 02:19 AM
  3. remove all spaces from string [vb]
    By ghadeer in forum Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9 May, 2009, 05:08 AM
  4. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 1 March, 2009, 00:58 AM
  5. War on Terror
    By Codythebest in forum Politics and Religion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11 February, 2009, 14:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •