Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Fukushima: A Nuclear War without a War

  1. #1

    Fukushima: A Nuclear War without a War

    INTRODUCTION The World is at a critical crossroads. The Fukushima disaster in Japan has brought to the forefront the dangers of Worldwide nuclear radiation.
    The crisis in Japan has been described as “a nuclear war without a war”. In the words of renowned novelist Haruki Murakami:
    “This time no one dropped a bomb on us … We set the stage, we committed the crime with our own hands, we are destroying our own lands, and we are destroying our own lives.”
    Nuclear radiation –which threatens life on planet earth– is not front page news in comparison to the most insignificant issues of public concern, including the local level crime scene or the tabloid gossip reports on Hollywood celebrities.
    While the long-term repercussions of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster are yet to be fully assessed, they are far more serious than those pertaining to the 1986 Chernobyl disaster in the Ukraine, which resulted in almost one million deaths (New Book Concludes – Chernobyl death toll: 985,000, mostly from cancer Global Research, September 10, 2010, See also Matthew Penney and Mark Selden The Severity of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Disaster: Comparing Chernobyl and Fukushima, Global Research, May 25, 2011)
    Moreover, while all eyes were riveted on the Fukushima Daiichi plant, news coverage both in Japan and internationally failed to fully acknowledge the impacts of a second catastrophe at TEPCO’s (Tokyo Electric Power Co Inc) Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant.
    The shaky political consensus both in Japan, the U.S. and Western Europe is that the crisis at Fukushima has been contained.
    The realties, however, are otherwise. Fukushima 3 was leaking unconfirmed amounts of plutonium. According to Dr. Helen Caldicott, “one millionth of a gram of plutonium, if inhaled can cause cancer”.
    An opinion poll in May 2011 confirmed that more than 80 per cent of the Japanese population do not believe the government’s information regarding the nuclear crisis. (quoted in Sherwood Ross, Fukushima: Japan’s Second Nuclear Disaster, Global Research, November 10, 2011)


    The Impacts in Japan
    The Japanese government has been obliged to acknowledge that “the severity rating of its nuclear crisis … matches that of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster”. In a bitter irony, however, this tacit admission by the Japanese authorities has proven to been part of the cover-up of a significantly larger catastrophe, resulting in a process of global nuclear radiation and contamination:

    “While Chernobyl was an enormous unprecedented disaster, it only occurred at one reactor and rapidly melted down. Once cooled, it was able to be covered with a concrete sarcophagus that was constructed with 100,000 workers. There are a staggering 4400 tons of nuclear fuel rods at Fukushima, which greatly dwarfs the total size of radiation sources at Chernobyl.” ( Extremely High Radiation Levels in Japan: University Researchers Challenge Official Data, Global Research, April 11, 2011)



    Fukushima in the wake of the Tsunami, March 2011

    Worldwide Contamination


    The dumping of highly radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean constitutes a potential trigger to a process of global radioactive contamination. Radioactive elements have not only been detected in the food chain in Japan, radioactive rain water has been recorded in California:
    “Hazardous radioactive elements being released in the sea and air around Fukushima accumulate at each step of various food chains (for example, into algae, crustaceans, small fish, bigger fish, then humans; or soil, grass, cow’s meat and milk, then humans). Entering the body, these elements – called internal emitters – migrate to specific organs such as the thyroid, liver, bone, and brain, continuously irradiating small volumes of cells with high doses of alpha, beta and/or gamma radiation, and over many years often induce cancer”. (Helen Caldicott, Fukushima: Nuclear Apologists Play Shoot the Messenger on Radiation, The Age, April 26, 2011)
    While the spread of radiation to the West Coast of North America was casually acknowledged, the early press reports (AP and Reuters) “quoting diplomatic sources” stated that only “tiny amounts of radioactive particles have arrived in California but do not pose a threat to human health.”

    “According to the news agencies, the unnamed sources have access to data from a network of measuring stations run by the United Nations’ Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization. …

    … Greg Jaczko, chair of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, told White House reporters on Thursday (March 17) that his experts “don’t see any concern from radiation levels that could be harmful here in the United States or any of the U.S. territories"


    Fukushima: A Nuclear War without a War: The Unspoken Crisis of Worldwide Nuclear Radiation | Global Research

    Why we don't hear about this catastrophe consequences and the prevention that could save lifes. It is not the world business to supervise the Japanese nuclear mess?


  2. #2
    No, it is not the worlds' countries who need to check on Japan, blah blah blah.

    Again, most of the article is a bit skewed to the liberal viewpoint that nuclear power is bad, bad, bad.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    No, it is not the worlds' countries who need to check on Japan, blah blah blah.

    Again, most of the article is a bit skewed to the liberal viewpoint that nuclear power is bad, bad, bad.
    Well the nuclear power is an alternative energy when appropriate safety measures are in place, but shouldn't be the focus.

    What I am more concerned about it the contamination of Japanese nuclear waste in US air, soil, food and pacific ocean that are spraying across the globe.

    What are the preventive measures and the real impact of high level contamination perpetuated by the mismanaging of this catastrophe and the deadly consequences around the world?

    Just to let you know that when the incident of Tchernobyl occurred, only one reactor was involved and the many countries were contaminated involving hundreds of thousands deaths.

    Don't forget that the Japanese had in one reactor a huge quantity of military uranium rods in the civilian Fukushima nuclear power plant that are unstable and dammaged.

    All of this concern the world, and like I said Japan should be supervised to make sure they are doing the right thing to stop any nuclear threats.

  4. #4
    There are lots of countries helping Japan to contain and sort out their nuclear mess. The son of one of my cousins was over there for a while, but he did not want to stay very long. It is hard to find support when the chances are high that you may become contaminated. The problems the Japanese are fighting are much more complex than many people realize. They will eventually contain the problems, but some areas of Japan near the nuke facility may not be safely habitable for hundreds of years.

    I spent a lot of time in Japan in the 1980s and 1990s. The Japanese are not stupid people, but it looks like they are overwhelmed by the severity of the problem. This a far worse than the contamination from the WWII bombings over Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    There are lots of countries helping Japan to contain and sort out their nuclear mess. The son of one of my cousins was over there for a while, but he did not want to stay very long. It is hard to find support when the chances are high that you may become contaminated. The problems the Japanese are fighting are much more complex than many people realize. They will eventually contain the problems, but some areas of Japan near the nuke facility may not be safely habitable for hundreds of years.

    I spent a lot of time in Japan in the 1980s and 1990s. The Japanese are not stupid people, but it looks like they are overwhelmed by the severity of the problem. This a far worse than the contamination from the WWII bombings over Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    I disagree with you on the overwhelming argument, since the beginning it looks like a total coverup. And the company TEPCO is incompetent to fix or take the right decisions from more than 2 years now.

    Radioactive Water Leaks from Fukushima: What We Know
    http://www.livescience.com/38844-fukushima-radioactive-water-leaks.html


    See the contamination of the pacific ocean keep going, and politically it seems like another disaster.

    Japan's response to the crisis at Fukushima Daiichi was flawed by "poor communication and delays in releasing data on dangerous radiation leaks at the facility", a government-appointed investigative panel has found. The Investigation Committee on the Accident at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Stations of Tokyo Electric Power Company was led by University of Tokyo Professor Yotaro Hatamura. The panel's report attaches blame to Japan's central government as well as Tokyo Electric Power Co., "depicting a scene of harried officials incapable of making decisions to stem radiation leaks as the situation at the coastal plant worsened in the days and weeks following the disaster".The 507-page interim report, which resulted from hundreds of interviews with utility workers and government officials, said poor planning also worsened the disaster response, noting that authorities had grossly underestimated tsunami risks that followed the magnitude 9.0 earthquake. The 40-foot-high tsunami that struck the plant was twice as tall as the highest wave predicted by officials, and the erroneous assumption that the plant's cooling system continued to work after the tsunami struck worsened the disaster. "Plant workers had no clear instructions on how to respond to such a disaster, causing miscommunication, especially when the disaster destroyed backup generators. Ultimately, the series of failures led to the worst nuclear catastrophe since Chernobyl". In February 2012, an independent investigation into the accident by the Rebuild Japan Initiative Foundation described how Japan's response was hindered at times by a loss of trust between the major actors: Prime Minister Naoto Kan, the Tokyo headquarters of TEPCO, and the manager at the stricken plant. The report said that these conflicts "produced confused flows of sometimes contradictory information in the early days of the crisis".According to the report, Kan delayed the cooling of the reactors by questioning the use of seawater instead of fresh water. Kan further hindered the response to the crisis by micromanaging disaster management efforts and appointing his own nominees to a small, closed, decision-making staff. The report stated that the Japanese government was also slow to accept assistance from U.S. nuclear experts.
    A 2012 report in The Economist said: "The reactors at Fukushima were of an old design. The risks they faced had not been well analysed. The operating company was poorly regulated and did not know what was going on. The operators made mistakes. The representatives of the safety inspectorate fled. Some of the equipment failed. The establishment repeatedly played down the risks and suppressed information about the movement of the radioactive plume, so some people were evacuated from more lightly to more heavily contaminated places".
    From 17 to 19 March 2011, US military aircraft, on behalf of the US Department of Energy, measured the radiation within a 45-km radius of the reactors. The data recorded 125 microsieverts per hour of radiation as far as 25 km (15.5 mi) northwest of the plant. The US provided the data, illustrated on detailed maps, to the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI) on 18 March and to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) two days later. Japanese government officials did not act on the information provided by the maps.
    The data were not forwarded to the prime minister's office or the Nuclear Safety Commission, and subsequently not used to direct the evacuation of the people living around the plant. Because a substantial portion of radioactive materials released from the plant went northwest and fell to the ground, and some residents were "evacuated" into this direction, these people could have avoided unnecessary exposure to radiation if the data had been published directly. According to Tetsuya Yamamoto, chief nuclear safety officer of the Nuclear Safety Agency, "It was very regrettable that we didn't share and utilize the information." But an official of the Science and Technology Policy Bureau of the technology ministry, Itaru Watanabe, said it was not Japan, but more appropriate for the United States to release the data
    Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #6
    You are getting your information from a highly biased source. I have followed this issue closely and have not seen any evidence of a coverup. Every article I reviewed on that site was negative, highly biased and contains questionable "facts". I suggest that you find another source for information. That web site goes beyond propaganda in an attempt to make their points.

    Reading those articles is like watching a Michael Moore movie. He takes a basic story and skews the facts to the liberal/environmentalist propaganda viewpoint so strongly that it no longer has any basis in fact. It becomes pure fabrication erroneously reported as fact.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    You are getting your information from a highly biased source. I have followed this issue closely and have not seen any evidence of a coverup. Every article I reviewed on that site was negative, highly biased and contains questionable "facts". I suggest that you find another source for information. That web site goes beyond propaganda in an attempt to make their points.

    Reading those articles is like watching a Michael Moore movie. He takes a basic story and skews the facts to the liberal/environmentalist propaganda viewpoint so strongly that it no longer has any basis in fact. It becomes pure fabrication erroneously reported as fact.
    I doubt that it is a liberal/environmentalist propaganda viewpoint, read all the articles from independent sources and it will be more or less accurate. If you are basing your viewpoint and facts from the Japanese government, there is a great chance that censure and distortion occurred.

    How come the Japanese government could let a company like TEPCO managing the whole thing without close supervisions? By the way TEPCO went bankrupt, so how can they take care correctly of this disaster when they are out of business?

    The Japanese government underestimate the extent since the beginning which is not only concerning the Japanese people but the whole planet. Again I don't see a propaganda when we all know that the disaster involved 3 reactors meltdown and 1 damaged. The Pacific Ocean is contaminated at the rate of 300 tones of water per day from the nuclear power plan, and that's not a leftist joke like you tend to claim.

    Perhaps you followed this particular Japanese nuclear disaster, I remember perfectly how the the Chernobyl disaster happened, how the international community helped the Russian as much as they could. I also remember how our politicians lied to our people by saying that we shouldn't be concerned by the Chernobyl disaster, everything was under control. Independent monitoring found out that the nuclear failout aka clouds crossed all the East side of France, than later French health organizations found that many French people were affected by a skyrocket increase of cancers and deaths.

    So excuse me if I don't trust the official political channels of lies, I know by experience that they will never tell the truth to the people.

  8. #8
    Keep this in mind. ALL politicians lie to us. The media also openly lies to us. We live in a world of propaganda. Even when they start out honest, the political systems corrupt them and they fall into line and lie to us to survive.

    Of course the politicians lied about Chernobyl. What do you think would happen if they told you that most of Western Europe was downwind from radioactive fallout and thousands of people were likely to die as a result?

    I didn't say there wasn't any cover up in Japan. I said the Japanese have been overwhelmed by the problem. It has turned out to be much more difficult than they expected. That is why I think it is worse than Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and perhaps worse than Chernobyl.

    Part of the problem is finding people who are willing to go into a radioactive zone to work on the issues. My cousin's son was only allowed to work a couple of hours per day in protective suits and he was only allowed to stay a couple of weeks. Anything more than that was risking a fatality. And he WAS part of a USA support team provided by the US Marines. Other countries are helping the Japanese. This problem is going to affect areas near the Fukushima plant for hundreds or perhaps thousands of years. This also the first time in the history of the planet that something like this has happened and there are no quick solutions.

    I don't like the current situation any more than you do, but sometimes there aren't any easy solutions. People can complain about something all they want, but that doesn't help produce a better or more expedient solution.

    I still think you are using the wrong site for a source of information.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    Keep this in mind. ALL politicians lie to us. The media also openly lies to us. We live in a world of propaganda. Even when they start out honest, the political systems corrupt them and they fall into line and lie to us to survive.

    Of course the politicians lied about Chernobyl. What do you think would happen if they told you that most of Western Europe was downwind from radioactive fallout and thousands of people were likely to die as a result?
    If the authorities and politicians are lying, why should we vote for them and trust them? The electronic votes are also a distrust way of how easily it could be manipulated. I didn't vote for a very long time and I am not planning to vote anytime soon. Votes are obsolete and lost their real significations.


    I don't like the current situation any more than you do, but sometimes there aren't any easy solutions. People can complain about something all they want, but that doesn't help produce a better or more expedient solution.

    I still think you are using the wrong site for a source of information.
    Authorities could always suggest temporary precautions by moving the population out of harming areas, preventive radioactive iodine treatment, etc

    Perhaps the IAEA should be experienced enough to intervene directly into civilian nuclear power plant to organize and manage any nuclear disaster.

    Regarding to you, what are the good sites for real source of information?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Franc Tireur View Post
    If the authorities and politicians are lying, why should we vote for them and trust them? The electronic votes are also a distrust way of how easily it could be manipulated. I didn't vote for a very long time and I am not planning to vote anytime soon. Votes are obsolete and lost their real significations.
    If if they don't start out as lairs, most end up that way as the system corrupts them. Politicians in Washington DC easily get isolated from reality. I have also refused to vote in elections when I did not trust anyone who was running for office. Hoever, I have since learned that not voting just helps get the worst person elected. I am also no longer using the mail-in ballots. Here in Arizona, the mail-in ballots had still not been counted two weeks after the last presidential election. That means that the only votes that counted were those who showed up in person to vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Franc Tireur View Post
    Authorities could always suggest temporary precautions by moving the population out of harming areas, preventive radioactive iodine treatment, etc.
    They did that right after the tsunami. Remember that the tsunami wiped out large residential areas. They evacuated the areas around the damaged nuke facilities and are not allowing anyone to enter, much like was done with Chernobyl. Japan only has a relatively small percentage of occupyable and farmable land. The mainland is a large volcanic mountainous island with a relatively small area that is usable on the coasts. The usable land there is therefore very valuable. This contamination may be much worse than Chernobyl because the Chernobyl contamination was mostly airborne. The Fukushima contamination includes highly radioactive water that is seeping into the ground and cannot be easily contained.

    Quote Originally Posted by Franc Tireur View Post
    Regarding to you, what are the good sites for real source of information?
    There are lots of good sites whose writers don't sound like extreme left-wing or right-wing fringe wackos. That is easy to spot. Read any article on RollingStone.com or MediaMatters.org and you will see nothing but propaganda. The problem is that the majority of sites spin the articles to their perspective, so you have to check a number of sources to get the full picture, and you may still not get it. We all live in an environment that is as propagandized as the Soviet Union after the Bolshevik Revolution.

    A perfect example of the entire media manipulating a story is the Trayvon Martin - George Zimmerman incident. Trayvon Martin was a big guy, a gang member (former gang member according to his mother), with gold-capped teeth and gang tattoos covering his arms. He was also a reported drug dealer. At 17 he did not look anything like the photo of him when he was 12 years old that was widely circulated by all of the media. People's impressions would have been distinctly different if current images had been circulated. The images were available, but even when the case got to court, the lifelong Democrat judge refused to allow the current photos to be shown in the courtroom because it would have biased the jury. Huh? A 17 year old Martin is what attacked Zimmerman, not the 12 year old. Even NBC altered the 911 tape to make Zimmerman appear to be racist. The entire case was propagandized to stack the deck against Zimmerman. If anyone's rights were violated, it was those of George Zimmerman.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •