Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Should U.S. Politicians Be Required to Serve in the Military?

  1. #11
    Yeah, watched it the other night...didn't think it was that great, but glad to see the President making an effort....

    One of my favorites for the U.S. readers:

    It Is The Soldier

    It is the soldier, not the reporter
    Who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier, not the poet
    Who has given us freedom of speech.

    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer
    Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier, not the lawyer
    Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

    It is the soldier
    Who salutes the flag
    Who serves under the flag
    Whose coffin is draped in the flag
    Who allows the protester to burn the flag

    -Charles M. Province

    *Edit:
    Good summary of former military service of past U.S. presidents, not that many without any service. One chart I would like to see is the net worth of all sitting members of congress, senate, supreme court and the past presidents if anyone has seen such a thing...
    http://www.whoserved.com/executiveprofilespast.asp

    Cheers,
    James

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by javanx3d View Post
    One chart I would like to see is the net worth of all sitting members of congress, senate, supreme court and the past presidents if anyone has seen such a thing...
    The net worth before they took office doesn't make a difference. It's the cases where career politicians go from rags to riches while in office that I would like to see a chart of.

  3. #13
    No one should be forced to join the military. That includes government officials!
    Profithost is your hosting provider! Cheap dedicated servers and webhosting from Amsterdam.
    Customer panel at: Profithost Customers Follow us on twitter: Profithost Twitter

  4. #14
    There is a case to be made that no one should be allowed to be Commander in Chief of the military until they understand what the people they command actually do. The military's job is not to read Miranda rights to enemy combatants picked up on the battlefield, nor is it to collect the forensic evidence required to convict enemy combatants in US civilian courts.

    Anyone who does this has provided ample proof that he is not qualified to run the military. You can fill in the blank regarding who I am referring to.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    There is a case to be made that no one should be allowed to be Commander in Chief of the military until they understand what the people they command actually do. The military's job is not to read Miranda rights to enemy combatants picked up on the battlefield, nor is it to collect the forensic evidence required to convict enemy combatants in US civilian courts.

    Anyone who does this has provided ample proof that he is not qualified to run the military. You can fill in the blank regarding who I am referring to.
    I agree! You want the Village People in your fox hole or sharing your cell in a Viet Cong Prision? Senator John McCain is opposed and knows a lot more on the subject than the members of Congress and the President that plans to turn the military into "Mancho Men'


  6. #16
    I don't care if they served in the military, or were a cop, fireman or indian chief.
    As long as they are NOT freaking lawyers!

    That should be a requirement...you a lawyer? You can't run for office.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    I don't care if they served in the military, or were a cop, fireman or indian chief.
    "Don't Ask Don't Tell" was working fine the way it was. The issue isn't that gays serve in the military.

    When you let them out of the closet, there's a danger that a gay culture takes over the military. This can cause all kinds of problems.

    Another issue that I see is whether the military allows gay marriage and pays benefits to gay partners. The US is going broke as it is ...

    A further issue is that Homosexuality is illegal in many countries that the American Military is deployed which may result in more problems.

    LGBT rights by country or territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #18
    One thing I have discovered.
    Some think the "da, dt" policy is great and should be kept.
    Others think it is super that finally it is gone.

    And neither side seems to convince the other side.

    Personally, I am glad that finally it is gone for good!

    Now, again, unless you know gays/lesbians, have such in your family, you can not really talk about how they are.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    One thing I have discovered.
    Some think the "da, dt" policy is great and should be kept.
    Others think it is super that finally it is gone.

    And neither side seems to convince the other side.
    While we are in the middle of a war is not the time to experiment.

    For instance, Gays have higher non-deployability rates due to increased HIV infection.

    http://cmrlink.org/cmrnotes/HIV_Statistics100107.pdf

  10. #20
    The military is not and should not be a social experiment.

    Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    That should be a requirement...you a lawyer? You can't run for office.
    I don't know what the current count of lawyers in Congress is, but that would eliminate about half of the goons serving in the last Congress.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. PayPal Competitor- American Express 'Serve'.
    By rome9t9 in forum Business
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25 July, 2012, 03:36 AM
  2. US Military Don't Ask, Don't Tell Gay Ban
    By bogart in forum Politics and Religion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20 March, 2011, 18:33 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29 September, 2010, 08:34 AM
  4. How do I serve external JS from my site?
    By Kovich in forum Managing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16 December, 2009, 02:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •