Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Which Programming Language do you know?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Ohk so lets see (listed in order of learning.)

    GWBasic, FOXBASE
    FOXPRO, C , C++
    HTML, Batch Scripts
    ASP, VB, Shell scripting
    PHP, Javascript
    Ajax

    I hope that's preety much what i have learned so far.

  2. No offense intended,but i think most of you guys here are blowing yourself up.I think that if you dont know how to write a halfway decent program that you aren't a programmer.I cant imagine that there are so many people here that are good programmers and would know how to write a CMS or even a program for controlling a little robot or something.I have a friend that works in a German energy company,at the moment he is creating some kind of probe for some kind of mini-nuclear reactor,and he says that he only knows C#,imagine that,he has such a high-profile job and says that he only knows C# and i am suppose to believe that you guys here know all those programming languages ?
    Maybe I am ignorant,but i simply cant believe that.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by xxtoni View Post
    No offense intended,but i think most of you guys here are blowing yourself up.I think that if you dont know how to write a halfway decent program that you aren't a programmer.I cant imagine that there are so many people here that are good programmers and would know how to write a CMS or even a program for controlling a little robot or something.I have a friend that works in a German energy company,at the moment he is creating some kind of probe for some kind of mini-nuclear reactor,and he says that he only knows C#,imagine that,he has such a high-profile job and says that he only knows C# and i am suppose to believe that you guys here know all those programming languages ?
    Maybe I am ignorant,but i simply cant believe that.
    in simple words

    If you learn by curriculam or for one specific purpose you learn only one thing.

    many people here just like me are from a self learning pattern where they have turned thier focus on very large base of programming aspects.

    Ex i started with Console based C / C++ programs then moved forward to learning the concepts of GUI using VC and VB and then diverted to Linux and learned Shell + Batch scripting as part of admin role that i played. then started learned ASP 3.0 to do a quick and easy task for College website and then shifted focus to PHP being native to Linux.
    After some time during my company recruitment and taining drive i got exposed to Java also in which We (me and one of my friend) are working on a portal which is currently catering to live usage of 140 Person's besides that I started learning about AJAX coz i came to know that a large amount of work could be reduced by AJAX.

    long story short.
    People here have learned out of necessity.

    if i was in your friends position who was getting money even if i knew just one language that i would have known only one language.

    its a matter of choice buddy.

  4. #44
    I would be very afraid if they are using C# for nuclear power related control work...perhaps it was for modeling of some aspect of his job. Just think...critical process arises...time for the Garbage collector...

  5. Quote Originally Posted by javanx3d View Post
    I would be very afraid if they are using C# for nuclear power related control work...perhaps it was for modeling of some aspect of his job. Just think...critical process arises...time for the Garbage collector...
    To be honest i didnt really ask a whole lot about what they are developing,the point is he says he does all his work in C#,too bad i dont remember the websites he showed me,he was telling me what kind of processors they are using and all that,but to be honest I was more thinking how to get him to the bar next door so he can tell me about his trip up and down thought Europe.From Karlsruhe to Land's End on a BMW F800GS brum brum

  6. #46
    SOunds like fun! We're looking to buy a BMW while in Germany since they're so much cheaper here (sold my car before moving).

    On the programming note:
    I found that once you learn one language type, ie procedural, interpretive, object orientated, script, etc, the level of effort reduces by half on the next one in the same category and continues to get smaller since the algorithmic / problem solving methodology within each programming language family is so similar.


    For most professionals/pseudo professionals, you get taught 1-3 in school, are lucky if you use the same one in industry, then out of necessity have to learn the ones your job requires from a book/web/etc.

    On the academic side, Theory of Programming languages (teaches you how computer programming languages are structured/work) was a neat class to take with some of the harder university/master's programs requiring you to develop your own language...though depending on your professor can be on a similar pain threshold as taking computer algorithms or discrete math.

    So...it doesn't surprise me to see many of the professionals on here list 3-10 or even more languages if they work in the industry or even do it part time. I personally find programming more rewarding than doing web content...but web content/affiliate marketing helps me live more comfortably right now and straight-up programming does not, so that's what I am currently focused on.


    Perhaps a better question for the programmers would be is:
    What are the last 3 programming languages that you have used (if 3)? WHat are the programming languages that you have used in 2010? And for the traditionalists, we will count scripting languages as "real" languages We will not count HTML page editing.

    For me:
    Last 3:
    Java, C#, VB

    2010:
    C#, VB(I hate these 2 btw), Java
    - I don't count my PHP template hacking for use in the last 3 or 2010.
    - The Java programming was for a stand-alone networked application and not a web-browser based webstart program or applet.
    - For the Redmond, WA haters, I was forced to do a project in C#/VB...I really dislike the .NET devl environment.

    Cheers,
    James

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    india
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by javanx3d View Post
    SOunds like fun! We're looking to buy a BMW while in Germany since they're so much cheaper here (sold my car before moving).

    On the programming note:
    I found that once you learn one language type, ie procedural, interpretive, object orientated, script, etc, the level of effort reduces by half on the next one in the same category and continues to get smaller since the algorithmic / problem solving methodology within each programming language family is so similar.


    For most professionals/pseudo professionals, you get taught 1-3 in school, are lucky if you use the same one in industry, then out of necessity have to learn the ones your job requires from a book/web/etc.

    On the academic side, Theory of Programming languages (teaches you how computer programming languages are structured/work) was a neat class to take with some of the harder university/master's programs requiring you to develop your own language...though depending on your professor can be on a similar pain threshold as taking computer algorithms or discrete math.

    So...it doesn't surprise me to see many of the professionals on here list 3-10 or even more languages if they work in the industry or even do it part time. I personally find programming more rewarding than doing web content...but web content/affiliate marketing helps me live more comfortably right now and straight-up programming does not, so that's what I am currently focused on.


    Perhaps a better question for the programmers would be is:
    What are the last 3 programming languages that you have used (if 3)? WHat are the programming languages that you have used in 2010? And for the traditionalists, we will count scripting languages as "real" languages We will not count HTML page editing.

    For me:
    Last 3:
    Java, C#, VB

    2010:
    C#, VB(I hate these 2 btw), Java
    - I don't count my PHP template hacking for use in the last 3 or 2010.
    - The Java programming was for a stand-alone networked application and not a web-browser based webstart program or applet.
    - For the Redmond, WA haters, I was forced to do a project in C#/VB...I really dislike the .NET devl environment.

    Cheers,
    James

    oh that reminds me how much i used to love VS till VS 6.0 and then the whole .net funda brought in havoc and brought me closer and closer to PHP.

  8. #48
    I known java and PHP.

  9. #49
    C
    C++
    Java
    learning PHP now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. What was your first programming language?
    By nick09 in forum Programming
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 13 July, 2009, 17:02 PM
  2. programming language for web
    By Eon in forum Web Design
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22 June, 2009, 19:20 PM
  3. Choosing a Programming Language
    By Karl in forum Managing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9 April, 2009, 10:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •