2. SEO - Search Engine Optimization
a) What is SEO?
b) Benefits of implementing SEO
c) On-Page Optimization Factors
d) Off-Page Optimization Factors
2a. What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization or SEO is the process of designing, creating and refining your web site’s contents and structure so that it is represented in a more prominent position when found by a search engine.
Search engines follow a set of rules to measure the importance of a website called search engine algorithms. All search engines have different complex algorithms, a wider range of factors including on-site factors as well off-site factors to compile their results.
To properly implement SEO strategies, you need to understand On-page optimization factors and Off-page optimization factors.
2b. Benefits of implementing SEO
• Cost-effective Customer Acquisition – No Pay per Click cost; businesses save 1000s of dollars in a month.
• Affordable Costs – Initial SEO cost is affordable, that is gradually reduced more but your web site's results are improved every month, if you keep implementing SEO. On the other hand, paid-search is an expensive high cost Internet Marketing option.
• Develop Trust – Web searchers trust sites found in organic search listings.
• Improved Click-through – 68% searchers click-through on organic search listings.
2c. On-Page Optimization Factors
Search engines use several factors in their ranking algorithms, one of which is on-page optimization factors. These are elements which actually appear on the page (such as page title, headings and body text) and contribute to the engine’s assessment of the subject matter and relevance of the page. On-page optimization involves ensuring that these factors are optimally included for the targeted search terms.
On-the-page factors are a very important group of factors and after fully optimizing all the critical elements on your pages your website can outperform many other less search engine-friendly sites.
On-site optimization factors include:
• Keyword Research
• URL Optimization
• Keyword Positioning
• Optimizing Page Contents
• Tuning the pages
• Optimizing Site Structure
• Website Submission
• Other Optimization issues
(On-page Optimization factors are covered with details in next steps)
2d. Off-Page Optimization Factors
Off-page optimization factors include:
• Link Analysis
o Number of One-Way incoming Links pointing to your site
o Quality of web pages pointing to your site
o Link Context – anchor text and surrounding text of links.
• Click through (CTR) Measurement
• Social Book-marking
• Articles’ submission
• Back links from Online Directories
• Many more…
(Off-page Optimization factors are covered with details later in this e-book)