This i where I see everyone wonder and try to get it...
It is really hard. It needs some money and work.
Things that help:
1) Link building - Link popularity is the main factor major search engines use to rank web sites. This makes link building an integral part of any effective search engine optimisation strategy. Persuading other web sites to link to your own could be one of the cleverest pieces of marketing you do - it's low cost, highly effective at driving traffic and obviously it can have a dramatic effect on your search engine ranking. Links are one of the most popular ways for people to find new sites and so the more quality sites that link to you the better. Start Linking :). Swap links with high ranked websites and more...
2) Do not use free domains, like .co.cc, .tk, .co.nr. These domains will never be counted in search engines. I recommend t do use them if you want to be ranked in search engines. To be ranked, use domains like .com which is widely known and search engines like it :P.
3) BackLink - Kind of LinkBuilding. This is the most important ou need to do to started getting ranked up.
4) Insert the keywords of the meta descriptions - Though meta description tags are not a major factor search engines consider when ranking sites, they should not be left off the page. Both the meta keywords tag and the meta description tag contribute to your search engine ranking, and the meta description tag influences the liklihood that a person will actually click on the search engine results page and visit your site. So do it :)
5) AdWord or Other. They help to get visitors to your website and make it get ranked.
6) Unique Contents - Search Engines like Unique Content so get ready and make them :). Make sure they are quality content as well :P.
7) SEO - Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the volume or quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via natural search results. SEO considers how search engines work and what people search for. Optimizing a website primarily involves editing its content and HTML coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines. Get a Seo script and start :)
-1) Another class of techniques, known as black hat SEO or Spamdexing, use methods such as link farms and keyword stuffing that degrade both the relevance of search results and the user-experience of search engines. Search engines look for sites that employ these techniques in order to remove them from their indices. So don't do that :P.
More to come...
[color=#000000;background:#000000]This writing is mostly for google because I know more about google :)[/color]
Good guide, well written ++
However adding a point called SEO, wasn't that smart since the whole idea of getting websites to the top of search engines is SEO, but I understand what you mean since you said about optimising the content to make it more search engine friendly.
im gonna try and make one, but the index is the hard bit
i advise again to dont use free domain
yeah, immeidietly your popularity will go down
nice tutorial. But if we exclude the investing part then everything is free. if you have enough time to optimize your website then you can cut down your spending on website promotion.