We developed a mobile app for several platforms (Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile, WP7) but naturally none of us is familiar with promotion or marketing: we are just developers.
Does anybody has experience in promoting of mobile apps?
Can you share the experience?
Here is some issues we ran into while trying to promote the app:
- Most apps cost very little, 0.99 is a quite common price tag. 30% of it goes to the market (Anrdoid Market or Apple App Store). How can we use AdWords having this low price? Is it possible at all? What's your take on it?
- Ads are available neither on Android market (Android app store) nor on Apple App Store. Even if you have some promo budget, you cannot just buy anything on the market itself. How do you promote the app then?
Of course you can buy ads to drive users to your website, but if an app price is about $1-2 you really have to pay less than 15-20 cents per click just to not to loose money.
- Outsourcing marking to people who know what they are doing. This is next to impossible, because of the super low app prices. So we have to learn ourselves what we can do. Can you help with some ideas?
- Free advertisement on Anroid\iPhone forums. We used forum posts with mini reviews. This is all great. It works, but the problem is from time to time moderators decide it is spam :( We do try to make high quality posts and interesting informational pieces, but as soon as moderators see any kind of promotion of a paid app... you know what follows next.
- Website promotion: it does not seem to be very useful. People are not searching for Android or iPhone apps on google. They first go to Android market first (this is an app on Android) or Apple App Store and only then search for apps. But there is no way to advertise on the markets. What to do?
If you can share your thoughts or experience on these issues, I'd very much appreciate it.