Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Spam Promotion? Never a good idea.

  1. #1
    Kovich's Avatar
    Kovich is offline Community Guardian
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,797
    Blog Entries
    30
    Thanks
    453
    Thanked 420 Times in 279 Posts

    Spam Promotion? Never a good idea.

    Last night an account was made on my forum that simply tried to gain backlinks by placing various URLs in all the profile boxes: Location, Website, Interests, etc. Unfortunately for them, spammers don't get backlinks on any of my websites - I deleted the account about a minute after it was made and banned the IP Address.

    I followed up by sending a letter to all of the websites and forums advertised in the URLs that were associated with this account (you know, the ones from all the profile fields) and I informed them that I would not tolerate spam, and that if it continued, I would proceed to file abuse reports as appropriate. I also told them that if they were utilizing a backlink service, that this is the quality they were receiving.

    One forum owner replied with an apology letter, stating that he was indeed working with an SEO company that was supposed to give him natural backlinks from other forums. He was very displeased about hearing that he was just being ripped off, and ensured me that he would take the appropriate action to prevent it from happening again - so that was a good thing.

    The next reply I received was interesting...

    Forum,s Header links for sale cheapest hxxp://forums.sfinances.com/
    The e-mail signature was also just a ton of random URLs and nonsense.

    What kind of person receives a letter like the one I sent, and follows-up by trying to sell the person header links?!

    I think that people don't really understand the potential repercussions that spamming can have on their website...

  2. Thanked by:

    ChillingBreeze (9 February, 2010), robjones (8 February, 2010)

  3. #2
    Aquarezz's Avatar
    Aquarezz is offline Master Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,851
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    683
    Thanked 591 Times in 463 Posts
    How long after your mail was that email sent? Might be an autoresponse or something

    And it sucks indeed that people use software etc just to spam other people's boards... they know it doesn't make sense because they get deleted anyways..
    |Nico Lawsons

  4. #3
    Kovich's Avatar
    Kovich is offline Community Guardian
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,797
    Blog Entries
    30
    Thanks
    453
    Thanked 420 Times in 279 Posts
    I sent out my e-mail at around 1:30 AM. Received the reply at 8:14 AM.

  5. #4
    5starpix's Avatar
    5starpix is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    1,710
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 227 Times in 164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovich View Post
    I sent out my e-mail at around 1:30 AM. Received the reply at 8:14 AM.
    Surely not an auto-response message.

    I had a similar case before, but it wasn't a SEO company. It was the individual who did it.

    You actually helped someone know about the service they were receiving.

  6. #5
    robjones's Avatar
    robjones is offline Trail Boss
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks
    510
    Thanked 441 Times in 292 Posts
    I deleted the account about a minute after it was made and banned the IP Address.

    I followed up by sending a letter to all of the websites and forums advertised in the URLs that were associated with this account (you know, the ones from all the profile fields) and I informed them that I would not tolerate spam, and that if it continued, I would proceed to file abuse reports as appropriate. I also told them that if they were utilizing a backlink service, that this is the quality they were receiving.
    LOL. Gotta bookmark for next time someone accuses me of being a ruthless mod. Kudos for your restraint though, see you didnt then fly to their house and kick their dog.

  7. #6
    Kovich's Avatar
    Kovich is offline Community Guardian
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,797
    Blog Entries
    30
    Thanks
    453
    Thanked 420 Times in 279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robjones View Post
    LOL. Gotta bookmark for next time someone accuses me of being a ruthless mod. Kudos for your restraint though, see you didnt then fly to their house and kick their dog.
    Oh boy. I've done some ruthless forum admin stuff... Never to my members, though, just to people who come to disrupt the community. I ban spammers permanently and, if they get out of hand, I file abuse reports. Usually a threat of action is sufficient, however.

    Here's a prime example that you'll love. Some kid signed up to my forum and started pasting images of underage girls in swimsuits. He described things that he would do to them - like tickling them, molesting them, and then killing them. He even talked about how he was going to blow up a school because there were 'Mexicans' attending it.

    I asked him time and time again to stop, and I couldn't really do anything since he had a dial-up connection, and therefore a dynamic IP address. I tracked down his personal information (myspace and stuff) and asked him personally, again, to stop - he refused. Finally, I compiled a nice case against him and reported him to the Internet Crimes Complaint Center (IC3) and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation. Once they received all the evidence and my server logs, they filed a subpoena for his address and such.

    Finally, the San Diego Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force raided his house. He's in a lot of trouble, to say the least...


  8. Thanked by:

    Loko (9 February, 2010)

  9. #7
    Snak3's Avatar
    Snak3 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed Location
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 190 Times in 121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovich View Post
    Oh boy. I've done some ruthless forum admin stuff... Never to my members, though, just to people who come to disrupt the community. I ban spammers permanently and, if they get out of hand, I file abuse reports. Usually a threat of action is sufficient, however.

    Here's a prime example that you'll love. Some kid signed up to my forum and started pasting images of underage girls in swimsuits. He described things that he would do to them - like tickling them, molesting them, and then killing them. He even talked about how he was going to blow up a school because there were 'Mexicans' attending it.

    I asked him time and time again to stop, and I couldn't really do anything since he had a dial-up connection, and therefore a dynamic IP address. I tracked down his personal information (myspace and stuff) and asked him personally, again, to stop - he refused. Finally, I compiled a nice case against him and reported him to the Internet Crimes Complaint Center (IC3) and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation. Once they received all the evidence and my server logs, they filed a subpoena for his address and such.

    Finally, the San Diego Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force raided his house. He's in a lot of trouble, to say the least...

    Wow, you're surely one person spammers should stay away from. I appreciate the steps you've taken as there are indeed very few people that even bother to do so. Webspam is increasing at such a rate that ignoring it is what most people are doing to avoid it but it just keeps coming back.

    I have all anti-spam measures in place on my sites so even if bots and spammers come with the intention to get some free backlinks, they just end up having wasted their time and bandwidth.

  10. Thanked by:

    Kovich (9 February, 2010), robjones (9 February, 2010)

  11. #8
    james145 is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a beginner in SEO I just want to know what is the defination of spameers to the administrator or moderators on average. For eg. I register in forums, if the y have website option I put my website their, I put only two links in the signature. Then I see if I am capable enough to be a part of the forum. I f I think I cant contribute to the discussuion, then I go to the off topic section and put my posts there. If it is spamming or moderators dont mind such things.

Similar Threads

  1. Blog Page - Is This a Good Idea?
    By iowadawg in forum Blogging
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25 October, 2010, 01:00 AM
  2. Blog Promotion Idea
    By anantshri in forum Promoting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10 May, 2010, 00:01 AM
  3. Starting a search engine a good idea?
    By Forsaken in forum Business
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26 July, 2009, 14:56 PM
  4. Wihee Radio? is that a good Idea?
    By Mike30 in forum Site Reviews
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15 July, 2009, 18:11 PM
  5. I'm curious if this was a good idea.
    By Zash in forum Web Proxies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22 April, 2009, 09:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •