Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: What makes somebody a SEO professional?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    What makes somebody a SEO professional?

    Lets discuss this topic. There is nothing such as SEO Professionals in the true sense, since there are no standardizing bodies to control SEO standards. Despite that, many people label themselves as SEO Pros?

    What do you think makes a person a SEO Pro?

    Do you think there should be standards by which people are recognized as SEO Professionals? Take for instance, Oracle professionals are given accreditation by Oracle. Should similar body be established to give endorsements to people as recognized SEO Pros?

  2. #2
    Indeed, this is one major problem in the SEO industry. The lack of certification or standardization leaves the door open to many less than competent people.

    In my opinion, what makes one person a SEO professional is anybody who:

    _ has extensive knowledge about SEO.
    _ is up to date on the latest SEO changes.
    _ is capable of doing SEO for himself.
    _ is capable of teaching SEO.
    _ has a proven track record of successful SEO work.
    _ understands SEO and is capable of making sounds decision and providing useful advices not just because of what he or she heard, but based on facts and personal researches and observations.

    There may be other important points, but those are the first that come to my mind.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Prudhon View Post
    Indeed, this is one major problem in the SEO industry. The lack of certification or standardization leaves the door open to many less than competent people.

    In my opinion, what makes one person a SEO professional is anybody who:

    _ has extensive knowledge about SEO.
    _ is up to date on the latest SEO changes.
    _ is capable of doing SEO for himself.
    _ is capable of teaching SEO.
    _ has a proven track record of successful SEO work.
    _ understands SEO and is capable of making sounds decision and providing useful advices not just because of what he or she heard, but based on facts and personal researches and observations.

    There may be other important points, but those are the first that come to my mind.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hellas View Post
    SEO Pro is guy who lives from SEO but also it have appropriate knowledge.

    That is it.

    I probably have a knowledge but I am not SEO pro.

    We banter about the term SEO as though it were a standardized definition. In many ways it is, as we understand generally what it means, but if we were task ourselves with elaborating on that, how many variances would there be?

    If something is going to be standardized with certification, there needs to be more concrete guidelines. There is certification in software as the parameters of that are set by the software designers and that is verifiable.

    With search engines evolving and strategies changing out of competitiveness to get ahead and stay ahead, one has to keep up with trends, yet, unlike software companies, search engines are not that open about their algorithms. Google says one thing in their white papers, and then contradicts what they say.

    Certification of a general standard open to interpretation is rather like trying to certify someone as a psychic.

    Perhaps (and I don't know if they do) the search engines, like software companies, could offer their own certifications specific to their search engines which an SEO could collect like a software engineer collects certifications. Rather than an SEO professional who is going to tell you the future, there would be SEO professionals who are certified in Google, MSN (bing, live, or what the hell ever their current personality may be), Yahoo!, etc.

  4. If you're looking for a accreditation, check out the Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization (SEMPO).
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    If you're looking for a accreditation, check out the Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization (SEMPO).
    SEMPO is just a an organization who's only goal is to take $1000 a year away from you.

    They don't have any quality filter and hence fail at providing any kind of guide as to who's an SEO professional and who's not.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    If you're looking for a accreditation, check out the Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization (SEMPO).
    No offense, Will, I have to agree with Ash. I don't think I would call SEMPO an accreditation. It is just a membership organization, plus the organization's name is meaningless to customers. It is kind of like the old "Best of the Web" site that was popular in the 1990s. All you had to do to earn a Best of the Web design award was to sign up for membership. I saw some really crappy web sites with that award logo.

    From the SEMPO web site:
    A Note to Site Visitors
    SEMPO is an industry organization designed to promote search engine marketing in general, not an accreditation body for SEM firms. Membership in SEMPO is not a guarantee of a particular firm's capabilities, nor does it signify industry approval or disapproval of their practices.
    SEO is an industry with thousands of people with no marketing, IT or programming experience who call themselves SEO experts or gurus. That is why the industry has such a bad reputation. I do not see how it is possible to provide expert SEO services unless you are a very experienced programmer who understands how search engines operate.

    The industry is so fragmented that I don't think that any organization could step up to the plate with a bonafide accreditation that would be accepted throughout the industry.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    SEO is an industry with thousands of people with no marketing, IT or programming experience who call themselves SEO experts or gurus. That is why the industry has such a bad reputation. I do not see how it is possible to provide expert SEO services unless you are a very experienced programmer who understands how search engines operate.
    I am not an Expert Programmer but that doesn't mean that I am a Bad SEO . Does that ? I think it won't as I have proven myself as an SEO with participating in so many SEO contests and reaching the top position in a couple of them. I also have proven track record in my CV which makes me a better SEO professional. I can say that programing skills can help an SEO guy. An SEO should be good with HTML as it might come handy but that is not a must. Experience in SEO field can come really useful when you are trying to rank for highly competitive keywords.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    No offense, Will, I have to agree with Ash.
    I don't disagree at all. I agree that, in reality, it's a bunch of hooey.

    Still, I believe the SEMPO badge can be useful for closing some SEO clients.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    No offense, Will, I have to agree with Ash. I don't think I would call SEMPO an accreditation. It is just a membership organization, plus the organization's name is meaningless to customers. It is kind of like the old "Best of the Web" site that was popular in the 1990s. All you had to do to earn a Best of the Web design award was to sign up for membership. I saw some really crappy web sites with that award logo.

    From the SEMPO web site:
    SEO is an industry with thousands of people with no marketing, IT or programming experience who call themselves SEO experts or gurus. That is why the industry has such a bad reputation. I do not see how it is possible to provide expert SEO services unless you are a very experienced programmer who understands how search engines operate.

    The industry is so fragmented that I don't think that any organization could step up to the plate with a bonafide accreditation that would be accepted throughout the industry.
    I know half of the guys. Some have great knowledge, others don't. Same goes with moderators on forums. I remember the Webmaster World mods telling me at a convention how their position guarantees getting great clients. Not all of them were skilled. But one thing they all had in common was the right connections to get things done when they need to get them done.
    I am also a writer for Serpholic Media. You can find some of my articles here: Serpholic Media Blog

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    I know half of the guys. Some have great knowledge, others don't. Same goes with moderators on forums. I remember the Webmaster World mods telling me at a convention how their position guarantees getting great clients. Not all of them were skilled. But one thing they all had in common was the right connections to get things done when they need to get them done.
    The same can be said about any industry. It's more about who you know, not what you know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What Makes .edu Domains so Special?
    By Ascendancy in forum Domaining
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1 January, 2010, 05:56 AM
  2. What makes a good domain name?
    By lethalboom in forum Domaining
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17 July, 2009, 15:56 PM
  3. Pizza Hut makes a name change
    By m42 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21 June, 2009, 12:01 PM
  4. CPA Marketing Can Makes You Money
    By DotComBum in forum eBooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9 June, 2009, 18:13 PM
  5. Trusting someone who makes $$$$
    By Marcell Purham in forum Business
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30 May, 2009, 15:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •