Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: What should be the Link Building speed for a brand new site?

  1. #1
    rome9t9's Avatar
    rome9t9 is offline No Longer Loves SEO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    If I tell you, I would have to kill you.
    Posts
    614
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 105 Times in 77 Posts

    What should be the Link Building speed for a brand new site?

    I am have a brand new site and was just wondering how many links per day would be good to avoid sandbox(myth?)?

    I am thinking of something around 10-15 per day for first 50 days.

    What do you suggest??

  2. #2
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    The sandbox is a myth. But there was an unintentional sandbox effect. ISo I wouldn;t worry about the "sandbox".

    The only issue is SEO penalties like the -30, -50, -950. I'm not sure though whether they are still giving them out though.

    With the new Caffeine update, you shouldn't worry about getting web 2.0 "type" links. The only thing that I would consider is how many links the competition has. For niches that don't have a lot of SEO, I would go slower.

  3. #3
    Social-Media is offline Search Marketing Consultant
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    The sandbox is a myth. But there was an unintentional sandbox effect. ISo I wouldn;t worry about the "sandbox".

    The only issue is SEO penalties like the -30, -50, -950. I'm not sure though whether they are still giving them out though.

    With the new Caffeine update, you shouldn't worry about getting web 2.0 "type" links. The only thing that I would consider is how many links the competition has. For niches that don't have a lot of SEO, I would go slower.
    I have never believed in the "sandbox". I heard Cutts say at Pubcon a couple of years ago that their algorithm might give the "appearance" of a sandbox in certain industries, but that there was no such thing.

    I could totally see where Google in industries where fly-by-night web sites are common... where businesses throw up a web site, make a quick buck... and then disappear (like gambling, porn, debt settlement, etc.) that they might prevent new sights from showing up for some period of time, but your average web site should not have issues with this.

    As far as the rate of link building... I would make it look natural. If you want to build lots of links, them ramp it up instead of going from none to 500 per day.

    Bogart's suggestion of going with what others seem to be doing in your industry is a good one.

  4. Thanked by:

    bogart (27 September, 2010)

  5. #4
    rome9t9's Avatar
    rome9t9 is offline No Longer Loves SEO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    If I tell you, I would have to kill you.
    Posts
    614
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    My competition has ~50(30 links from only one site) links to the page..the rest in the top 10 have ~15(mostly SB sites) links to them...I started a site and put up a page on it targetting the KW phrase..that page has 30 links from 10 unique IPs but still nowwhere in the top 50..the max it reached was 51 but now it seems to have dropped out top 100 since last few days... I got the EMD for that KW, so will give that KW another shot..hopefully I will get some good results..

  6. #5
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rome9t9 View Post
    My competition has ~50(30 links from only one site) links to the page..the rest in the top 10 have ~15(mostly SB sites) links to them...I started a site and put up a page on it targetting the KW phrase..that page has 30 links from 10 unique IPs but still nowwhere in the top 50..the max it reached was 51 but now it seems to have dropped out top 100 since last few days... I got the EMD for that KW, so will give that KW another shot..hopefully I will get some good results..
    My suggestions are to (1) add some new content every few days and bookmark it (2) get a few more quality links to the homepage (3) submit a few articles to sites like enzine or goarticles. I think it's a matter of quality to break into the top 30.

    It also may take a little time for your efforts to take hold but you should be able to make progress in a couple weeks. Though it's hard to say what works and doesn't on any given day as Google Makes One Change Per Day To Search Algorithm

    Quote Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
    I have never believed in the "sandbox". I heard Cutts say at Pubcon a couple of years ago that their algorithm might give the "appearance" of a sandbox in certain industries, but that there was no such thing.

    I could totally see where Google in industries where fly-by-night web sites are common... where businesses throw up a web site, make a quick buck... and then disappear (like gambling, porn, debt settlement, etc.) that they might prevent new sights from showing up for some period of time, but your average web site should not have issues with this.
    I think that the "sandbox" was a poor mans spam filter. Google got rid of it; because, it threw the baby out with the bath water.

  7. Thanked by:

    rome9t9 (27 September, 2010)

  8. #6
    infernoexpert is offline Unknown Net Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    according to you should start link building aggressively after 6 month at least...

  9. #7
    Sami4u's Avatar
    Sami4u is offline Butterflies Forever
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,405
    Thanks
    670
    Thanked 291 Times in 219 Posts
    Hi,

    You can not control who links to you. Go build as many as you can.

    On my very first site someone gave me a site wide link after the site was online only a week. It never hurt that site at all and I got some good traffic from it

    The only reason I bring this up is the site that gave me the site wide link was over 10,000 indexed pages.

    I had maybe nine or ten post on my blog at the time. A few day later a nice forum member gave me a Free sig link they had 11,000 + posts

    I was now 21,000 and I only had about 20/30 post online at the time. In that same time I also submitted to every directory I could and anything else I could do.

    The site was never sandboxed and never dropped below a PR3.

    Go build links

    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  10. Thanked by:

    rome9t9 (28 September, 2010)

  11. #8
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami4u View Post
    You can not control who links to you. Go build as many as you can.
    You can and can not control who links to you. This is the the existential problem of programming filters to counter aggressive SEO.

    I don't hear much chatter on the forum circuit regarding the over-optimization penalties a.k.a -30,-50,-950 penalties. Though that's not to say that the algorithm could not change tomorrow.

  12. #9
    SonnyCooL's Avatar
    SonnyCooL is offline HeeHa
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melb/Malaysia
    Posts
    920
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 92 Times in 78 Posts
    when my site go live, i build as much as possible, is not all link going to index in the same time ......

    Just make sure not too many OBL on the new site .......
    Year ago, i put site wide link on my site (600-800 daily UV), it does boost my new site but hurt the old site (traffic drop to 300-400, now catching up) .....

  13. #10
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyCooL View Post
    when my site go live, i build as much as possible, is not all link going to index in the same time ......
    For the tests I have been running larger quantities of web2.0 links forum profiles, social bookmarks, forum signatures, articles don't have any negative effect.

    Deeplinking is a good strategy and it also helps the pages stay in the index.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [WTS] Link Baiting Service for Natural Link Building
    By ayebea in forum Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12 July, 2010, 14:11 PM
  2. [WTS] We Do Link Building for your site! Increase your site Traffic!
    By sate solutions in forum Services
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9 June, 2010, 02:01 AM
  3. Review My Site's Speed!
    By Kovich in forum Site Reviews
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9 December, 2009, 22:05 PM
  4. Automatic link Building site-automaticbacklinks.com
    By sandeepdude in forum On-Site SEO
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31 August, 2009, 13:10 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22 April, 2009, 19:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •