Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Google slips to lowest search share in two years

  1. #1

    Google slips to lowest search share in two years

    Now the figures are small, but still it shows that google is slowly losing out to bing.

    Computerworld - Google's share of the U.S. search engine market has dropped below 65% for the first time in two years, new data shows.
    Google, which has long been the dominant search engine in the U.S. and around the world, slipped from 65.1% of the U.S. market in July to 64.8% last month, reported comScore, an Internet traffic monitoring company.
    Google's loss, while small, seems to be Microsoft Bing's gain.

    Read here:
    Google slips to lowest search share in two years - Computerworld

  2. #2
    The decline is actually statistically insignificant, but they did breach a threshold.

    I would not have been surprised if they had lost quite a bit of market share after everything they have done to garbage up the search results this year. A lot of users are confused about what they are seeing in search results.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  3. #3
    Hi,

    I see some changes that Google has made that I like. However I would still take Yahoo over Bing.

    How many people equal that % anyway?

    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772

  5. #5
    I had a chuckle at Google's stock price where it is valuing the company at about 60x annual earnings, and a bankster analyst that rated them a buy held no Google stock themselves.

    I don't see how they can grow so much more to warrant such a sky-high stock price. In the boom times, other companies were valued at about 20 times annual earnings.

    Now my favorite investment stock Xstrata plc (that is nicely profitable) is valued at less than 10x annual earnings (PE price-earnings ratio).

    To better understand the significance of this, imagine that you wanted to purchase Google. How many years would you be prepared to wait to see a return on your investment (assuming you didn't broker another deal to sell it early)?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy101 View Post
    I had a chuckle at Google's stock price where it is valuing the company at about 60x annual earnings, and a bankster analyst that rated them a buy held no Google stock themselves.

    I don't see how they can grow so much more to warrant such a sky-high stock price. In the boom times, other companies were valued at about 20 times annual earnings.

    Now my favorite investment stock Xstrata plc (that is nicely profitable) is valued at less than 10x annual earnings (PE price-earnings ratio).

    To better understand the significance of this, imagine that you wanted to purchase Google. How many years would you be prepared to wait to see a return on your investment (assuming you didn't broker another deal to sell it early)?
    I agree with you that Google stock may not be a good investment for the average guy. I'm guessing that investors believe that Google will become the new Coca Cola and start splitting. Coke ended up splitting like 17x to 1 over around 10 years.

    It's interesting though that at the same time Google has lost market share their earnings have increased 26%

    In the WSJ article it's mentioned that bidding on ads has increased 5% which doesn't explain fully the increase in revenue.

  7. #7
    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    In the WSJ article it's mentioned that bidding on ads has increased 5% which doesn't explain fully the increase in revenue.
    That must be on only certain niches. As an example Oct. last year to Oct. this year I have roughly the same number of clicks but my pay for those clicks is down by almost 40%

    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami4u View Post
    Hi,



    That must be on only certain niches. As an example Oct. last year to Oct. this year I have roughly the same number of clicks but my pay for those clicks is down by almost 40%

    Sami
    Advertisers are bidding higher in the health, real estate, travel, b2b software, and auto repair niches.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •