Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Why an antitrust investigation into Google is a mistake

  1. #1
    memenode's Avatar
    memenode is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    490
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts

    Why an antitrust investigation into Google is a mistake

    Good read: Why an antitrust investigation into Google is a mistake

    I couldn't agree more, and it actually echoes what the founder of one of Google's competitors Blekko says here: Blekko's not afraid of Google, why is Washington? (Skrentablog) (link shared by Will earlier).

    The antitrust cases like this irk me not just because of their pretty obvious inefficacy (effectively wasting stolen money on a lot of pointless bureaucracy), but because they come out of a very naive, ignorant, and entitlement oriented mentality by people whom I quite frankly can't see as anything more than snobby kids who want things handed to them on a silver platter even if it means stealing from someone else. Even if I do think that our dependence on Google traffic sucks, or that Google sucks in various other ways, I can't have any respect for that way of thinking. The memetic precedent that they're setting is worse than anything bad Google, Microsoft and Apple combined ever did.

  2. #2
    bogart's Avatar
    bogart is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 776 Times in 609 Posts
    There's plenty of search engines out there to name a few:

    Ask.com
    blekko.com
    duckduckgo.com
    Entireweb.com

    Cuil had a lot of hype and is down.

    I don't think that the issues is a Google monopoly but a lack of innovation. Facebook and Twitter don't seem to have any problems taking on Google. But on the other hand, Yahoo spent billions and failed.

  3. #3
    memenode's Avatar
    memenode is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    490
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Agreed, lack of innovation seems to be the problem, but all the mentioned search engines seem pretty good even if not anything mind blowing. In any case, Google has plenty of competition, and it's market share of 65% doesn't exactly strike me as a monopoly. Dominance maybe, but this still leaves 35% of the space for others!

    Compare that to Microsoft who had 90% share in a space where barriers to entry really were quite high, and it was pretty hard for people to just switch. And MS still faces some major challenges to its dominance simply due to market disruptions (mobile OS's, and switch to mobile computing) which the antitrust case had nothing to do with.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •