I'd recommend you use oDesk.com and outsource the jobs.
- you can interview candidates and only hire someone if you want to, you're not forced into anything
- the candidates have taken proficiency tests in subjects like English, HTML, and PHP
- you can pay AFTER the jobs are complete, so no risk to you
- you can post either FIXED PRICE or HOURLY jobs (fixed price is great for programming projects)
- insanely cheap people from India / Philippines with decent English skills who do excellent work
I'm good with PHP but have even outsourced projects that I didn't have time for and was very impressed with the cost (like $2-3/hr in most cases) and quality of code.
FYI - there's lots of similar sites to oDesk, I'm only recommending it because of my own positive experiences.