Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meta description spammed

10 words here paragraphs there, entire articles here, meta descriptions there. It is already difficult to make money online and I work hard for that. I pay for my copywriters to create my contents and my wife also worked hard on our site. I don't see why people are serving themselves for free, what is the point to copyright my work if people use it like a self service.

It is not merely mentioned on their page somewhere.

I am upset because I have hundred sites doing this to me. Some are making money off of this too by displaying ads. I mean why do we need to write some unique contents if some webmasters just duplicate that for their own gain?

Do you buy a car for your neighbours and pay for gas to let them drive whatever they want to go for free? If I buy a car it is for myself with my hard earning money from my work.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire

From what I understand the competition is copying your product descriptions and Google is using them as snippets.

In cases like this as TopDogger mentioned it will be very difficult to stop competitors from using phrases that appear in your copy.

Anything that is on the internet is going to get copied. That's a given.

I don't think you have grounds for filing any sort of copyright notice because:

1. The 'stolen' phrases are only about 10 words long.
    2. They are very generic and you can't possibly have a copyright over them.
    3. It would be a waste of time, since those phrases aren't somehow helping your competitors.

But, alas - if you want to file a DMCA Copyright Notice, read this:
    DMCA Copyright Notice 101 | Running Online Business

Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    From what I understand the competition is copying your product descriptions and Google is using them as snippets.

In cases like this as TopDogger mentioned it will be very difficult to stop competitors from using phrases that appear in your copy.

Anything that is on the internet is going to get copied. That's a given.
    The competition is copying parts of my contents or product descriptions. They can use my work as description for their category like the Brazilian case, use it as meta descriptions, copy some paragraphs, or the entiere article.

These are 2 examples, but I have several hundred cases.

Why bother creating unique contents when you could just use other people contents and still rank high on search engines?

Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Kovich View Post
    I don't think you have grounds for filing any sort of copyright notice because:

2. They are very generic and you can't possibly have a copyright over them.
    3. It would be a waste of time, since those phrases aren't somehow helping your competitors.

But, alas - if you want to file a DMCA Copyright Notice, read this:
    DMCA Copyright Notice 101 | Running Online Business

Thats what I said in my first post:
    "What can I do against this? Google DMCA will not accept a complaint for a few lines and their algorithm don't catch the thiefs."

I have several hundred people copying 10 or more than words long

2. They are very generic and you can't possibly have a
    copyright over them.
    All the contents are copyrighted since they are on your site, you don't even need to put the © symbol.

If it was the case, why have so many people used my contents?

Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
    Why bother creating unique contents when you could just use other people contents and still rank high on search engines?
    OK. Then just give up and shut down your web site. Resistance is futile. Like bogart said, "Anything that is on the internet is going to get copied. That's a given."

I have several hundred people copying 10 or more than words long
    Are you sure that they are copying it and you are not just using common phrases that have already been used on other web pages?

2. They are very generic and you can't possibly have a
    copyright over them.
    All the contents are copyrighted since they are on your site, you don't even need to put the © symbol.
    A copyright notice is a formal declaration of a copyright. Without the notice, you will have a difficult time defending your work as copyrighted. Without it, many creative works are considered to be in the public domain. Your legal protection for copyrights in the USA is only as strong as your willingness to take someone to court for violating your copyright. It is a civil issue. No one is going to enforce a copyright for you. You have to initiate the action and pay any legal expenses to enforce your rights to a copyright. Google is not going to do anything under the DMCA unless someone is stealing entire pages of content. That's because a few stolen words are not a copyright violation.

Maybe it's because they like your writing style or maybe you are using common phrases in your content that already appear on other web sites.

Perhaps you should be spending your time building your business, rather than dwelling on issues like this that do not hurt your business in any tangible way.

We have all had pages of content and sometimes entire web sites stolen by content thieves. Have you tried threatening the violators with the DMCA? Sometimes a threat will cause violators to stop pilfering content from your site. I typically threaten to report a content thief to Google, Yahoo and MSN for DMCA violations. Thus far, they have always backed down and removed the content and I did not have to follow through with the reporting.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

I understand your point TopDogger.

Just to be clear, all my contents are unique and written specifically for the projects on my site. The copywriters I personally hired or my wife doing other writing work did terrific and unique jobs.

The DMCA system works only for full article or photographic infrigments, I guess we agree on that.

Now for all the duplicated, reworded lines or paragraphs, contents should be managed by search engines. After all, it is their duty to insure that spammers get caught for manipulating their systems. I believe with all the billions of dollars in profits they make or with all the technology they own, they can enforce that.

Just a reminder that Google uses the meta descriptions in their algorithms:

The snippet is Google's algorithmic attempt to extract just the part of the page most relevant to your query. The URL tells you about the site in general.
    Basic search help : Google search basics - Web Search Help

Sometimes a threat will cause violators to stop pilfering content
    Sometimes if they are located in US, but how much time do you waste to try contacting them and ask to remove the infrigment?

Maybe it's because they like your writing style
    You can say that again lol

Thanks TopDogger, it is interesting to see your professional point of view.

Voltaire

There is nothing you can do in your specific case. Leave it and try to be happy that you are good enough to be worth imitating. That's the least you can do.

Anyway, a few slightly offtopic thoughts

Line : Capturing the essence and beauty of the flowers of Hawaii

Thought 1: Beautiful is not an appropriate description for a perfume
    Thought 2: Capturing the essence and aroma of the flowers of Hawaii
    Best proxy hosting ever - Almost Zero downtime + Superfast Use coupon "TEWD" for 50% off for lifetime

Now for all the duplicated, reworded lines or paragraphs, contents should be managed by search engines. After all, it is their duty to insure that spammers get caught for manipulating their systems. I believe with all the billions of dollars in profits they make or with all the technology they own, they can enforce that.
    Actually, their duty is to provide useful search results for users, which in turn allows them to make money through advertising. There isn't any reason for them to please site owners at all, unless they need them to invest in advertising. Penalizing spammers just helps to improve the search results for their users.

You can believe that search engines have a duty to ensure that spammers get caught, but that doesn't make it happen.

I believe that elected politicians have a duty to do what is in the best interests of their country and their people, but somehow that very rarely happens.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

If I was to write: The house was blue.
    I do not own any such copyright to that phrase. It's not a specific description, it's not unique.

Copyright gives the author of an original work exclusive right for a certain time period in relation to that work, including its publication, distribution and adaptation, after which time the work is said to enter the public domain. Copyright applies to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete and fixed in a medium.

Because every website needs content. It doesn't matter if your content is somehow so simply unresistable that they need to copy it, or if it's just a generic phrase found anywhere. They need to put something there. And your description isn't really that unique, so it wouldn't surprise me if people just legitimately wrote it without intentionally stealing it.

Just a reminder that Google uses the meta descriptions in their algorithms:
    Google only uses meta descriptions if they find them useful, and only as a description of your site in the search results - nothing more. They don't affect your ranking.

Perhaps you should be spending your time building your business, rather than dwelling on issues like this that do not hurt your business in any tangible way.
    I agree with this 100%.

And I will end on the statement of: Either threaten the alleged copyright infringement offenders with a DMCA, file a DMCA and hope for the best (though I'm certain they won't buy your grand conspiracy idea), or get over it and move on, because there is nothing you can do here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast