75 35.05%
  • Have been banned before.

35 16.36%
  • What's DP?

14 6.54%
Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Banned from DP?

Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    The mods are fighting amongst each others as well. Quite a bit.
    How do you know, you got someone on the inside?

Does anyone know why the owner has seemed to abandon the place?

When I called Shawn (local number since his office was like 10 minutes from me) he told me he didn't handle any issues on the forum that the forum webmaster does. Saw the other day someone posted all the numbers no longer work. Going to drive by his suite and see if its still around.

My only issue is a mod seems to have a personal issue with me. Never even knew about this person tell I started getting the infractions and he was the only mod online. Other then that I liked the way the proxy discussion thread had been going but has got a bit out of had with technical issues and spamming. I really liked the freebies

Blows getting banned as you lose all the signature links from your posts and they dont come back when you return. However the RSS feed isnt lost.

Reverse IP Check ಠ_ಠ Proxy Sites
    <?php if ($youask == 'stupid question') { echo ('stupid answer'); } ?>

Quote Originally Posted by LogicFlux View Post
    How do you know, you got someone on the inside?

All the old time mods are tired of it. So is Shawn. It's obvious.

OK, let's move on from DP. DP was great once, but it's not what it once was and won't be again. So, we should really get to the point where that word is no longer a necessary part of our vocabulary.

(I will break the rule when I get unbanned and start a thread about selling my signature, but then I'm going to be done )
    I am also a writer for Serpholic Media. You can find some of my articles here: Serpholic Media Blog

I've moderated less contentious forums before (a relative term, one was a dmoz related forum owned by Daron Babin back in the day). Being a mod at DP would be like working at a daycare center for adults with severe personality disorders. As such if a mod over-reacts I cant say I'd do better. There are still some good ones, ie - the recent choice of wisdomtool, always been pretty level headed. Overall they've left me to myself, I have less cause for complaint than Will and others here.

IMO... Trick is to get a handle on a forum before it reaches the disgraceful state where dedicated trolls frequent the place for the sheer joy of playing seagull in every thread they touch. The mods arent the real problem at that place, but better moderation a bit further back down the line would have gone a long way toward warding off the plethora of idiots that have caused mods to start shooting in every direction. DP has unfortunately in the process banned fairly harmless posters but left some serious trolls that should have been gone long ago. The unevenness is an error.

In most cases if somebody seriously feels a need to be a mod it's a fair sign they would abuse the trust. Those are the ones that do some of the stuff I've seen mentioned in this thread. Answer is to put in people that are capable but dont necessarily crave the job.

Quote Originally Posted by robjones View Post
    I've moderated less contentious forums before (a relative term, one was a dmoz related forum owned by Daron Babin back in the day). Being a mod at DP would be like working at a daycare center for adults with severe personality disorders. As such if a mod over-reacts I cant say I'd do better. There are still some good ones, ie - the recent choice of wisdomtool, always been pretty level headed. Overall they've left me to myself, I have less cause for complaint than Will and others here.

IMO... Trick is to get a handle on a forum before it reaches the disgraceful state where trolls frequent the place for the sheer joy of playing seagull in every thread they touch. The mods arent the real problem at that place, but better moderation a bit further back down the line would have gone a long way toward warding off the plethora of idiots that have caused mods to start shooting in every direction.

In most cases if somebody seriously feels a need to be a mod it's a fair sign they would abuse the trust. Those are the ones that do some of the stuff I've seen mentioned in this thread. Answer is to put in people that are capable but dont necessarily crave the job.
    Me, Will and StOx seemed to be banned at about the same time and just from looking at the last posts they made, maybe for the same thing. Will's last posts were about Islam but they were civil(unless they deleted some). StOx's were typical StOx, not so civil but at least thoughtful with an IQ behind them. My post lacked any well thought out critism, I basically just made a nasty comment and probably deserved to get banned, but I think I'm the only one of the bunch that deserved it, although a month seemed a bit harsh, especially since I'm usually a good boy.

It seems the message the mod was trying to send is not to criticize Islam. So if you can't be critical of a religion in a P&R forum it's silly for the forum to exist in the first place. It doesn't seem very consistent to ban people for criticizing a religion when every other thread created seems to be for the sole purpose of bashing the US, usually by using a bunch of made-up, baseless claims or highly skewed and biased arguments. But I guess the US doesn't get an untouchable status since it's not a religion, which makes perfect sense, religions are special and sacred.

You got started before I added the following...

DP has unfortunately in the process banned fairly harmless posters but left some serious trolls that should have been gone long ago. The unevenness is an error.
    I recognize that my experience isnt universal, and I agree that there have been people that have been singled out once they got onto someones radar. I agree wholeheartedly that the US is fair game for anyone, but if someone in the US targets something near and dear to the ones that hate the US they are incurring greater risk. Never have figured that part out... you'd think what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Not the first forum where I've run into that issue... got a lot of the same on the dmoz internal forum. *

* Hint: If you ever become a dmoz ed, avoid the words "banana republic". Just trust me on this. :-p

Quote Originally Posted by robjones View Post
    There are still some good ones, ie - the recent choice of wisdomtool, always been pretty level headed.
    Wisdomtool is excellent mod. He even replies when you forward to him pm spam. And is very helpful and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    All the old time mods are tired of it. So is Shawn. It's obvious.

OK, let's move on from DP. DP was great once, but it's not what it once was and won't be again. So, we should really get to the point where that word is no longer a necessary part of our vocabulary.

(I will break the rule when I get unbanned and start a thread about selling my signature, but then I'm going to be done )
    I agree. It was interesting when I got in and degenerated slowly, but surely. The thing that annoyed me the most was all these 10 to 14 y/o "genius" who know it all. They even have been online for "more than a year" now and can teach you anything you want!!...and they don't even pee straight...

At 4000 posts, I posted that I'll most probably not pass the 5000 mark. I'm at 4500 and I'm pretty sure it will take me a long time to reach 5000.
    I'm not far from truth if I say I posted 3000 the first year, 1500 the second year (I reg in 12/06 or 11/06). I'm pretty sure to stop at 5000...just to grab some site for sale or something here and there...
    Cabins Renta
    New & Free Bitchylife.com widget is ready !
    7 methods to create free PVAs at 7pva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Codythebest View Post
    The thing that annoyed me the most was all these 10 to 14 y/o "genius" who know it all.
    I'm 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I'm 13.
    Shooot...You're 1 year older than me
    Cabins Renta
    New & Free Bitchylife.com widget is ready !
    7 methods to create free PVAs at 7pva.com

Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast