Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panda rolled out internationally on April 11 2011... AND IT SUCKS!

1. Will, you still seem to see it as an either-or. I can only reiterate that a combined strategy might be better. I never asked anyone to abandon the search strategy, but I do suggest that adding something on top of it can add further value and help us differentiate. The example sites I linked are successful, and they are top rankers, certainly not examples of "art for art's sake".

And coke is hardly an equivalent of a web site in a specific niche. Coke serves a global market of billions, and has its brand in nearly every corner of the world, and in all media. And even then they probably overspend on branding just because they can. I doubt DomainsBot invested billions or millions into its little brand.

Regarding the two ways supply can influence demand. On the web I'd say it happens far more often than "once in a blue moon" (that someone puts up a site that offers something nobody asked for, but everyone subsequently loves), and the second way (driving standards upwards) happens all the time, whenever someone offers something better than the competition, and customers begin to expect that level of quality from everyone.

As for Google dominance, I think I said everything I had to say. If you're gonna say you're doomed from the get go then you're doomed. Look for solutions or wait for Google to kill your business.

I'm out for now. Cheers.

Again I say, if your business is killed by google, that means your business was built on one leg only. Google!
    Again I say, any business, large or small, old or new, should be using every known way to do one thing only.....get traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    Again I say, if your business is killed by google, that means your business was built on one leg only. Google!
    Again I say, any business, large or small, old or new, should be using every known way to do one thing only.....get traffic!
    With all due respect, what you say is like "get a job" to 99er unemployed people when we all know that there are not enough jobs for everyone looking for one.

I believe that when people are looking for FREE information, they are using search engines or search system, period! Google is one of them and has the monopoly of searches, we all know that.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire

You should remember this.
    There is optimizing for search engines.
    ANd there is absolute reliance on search engines.
    You must like to rely only on search engines.
    I don't.
    I drive traffic to my site, and any traffic from search engines is extra.

You must like to rely only on search engines.
    I don't.
    I drive traffic to my site, and any traffic from search engines is extra.
    I don't like to rely on search engines, that's an assumption, but my organic search engines traffic convert into sales.

Traffic is not a factor extremely important, because you have all kind of traffics. I am interested by qualified traffic which is different than just traffic. To get a qualified traffic there are two ways, the first is from search sytems, the second is from niches.
    Last edited by Franc Tireur; 16 April, 2011 at 14:11 PM.

Voltaire

6. Quote Originally Posted by memenode View Post
    Will, you still seem to see it as an either-or.
    It's not an issue of either-or, it's an issue of "the right tool for the right job." Some markets are best reached by branding, others by advertising, others by social media, others by direct sales, etc...

If your competitors are using the right tools and you are using the wrong tools, you can sell more than them and still put yourself out of business due to an unsustainable cost of sales.

Quote Originally Posted by memenode View Post
    I can only reiterate that a combined strategy might be better.
    Sure it might, for some niches.

And coke is hardly an equivalent of a web site in a specific niche. Coke serves a global market of billions, and has its brand in nearly every corner of the world, and in all media.
    Exactly. Coke is the perfect product for branding and a terrible product for search. On the flip side, there are many products which are terrible for branding and great for search.

As for Google dominance, I think I said everything I had to say. If you're gonna say you're doomed from the get go then you're doomed. Look for solutions or wait for Google to kill your business.
    Google has killed many businesses and will kill many more. The secret isn't to stay in the same business and market differently -- the solution is to get into a different business. Going out of business is just part of the natural progress of a free market economy.

Any business should be using every way to reach customers where the lifetime value of the customer exceeds the cost of customer acquisition. That is a very different thing.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    Going out of business is just part of the natural progress of a free market economy.
    Well, I don't think we are in a free market economy since a long time. The federal reserve played a king game to bailout corporations, banks, and printing money out of thin air generating uncontrolled inflation, plus you have an evil derivatives market about $531 trillions in Wall Street. They removed the Glass–Steagall Act which was evil because they took off all the safeties made in place after the 1929 US depression.

I really believe that they are in process to wipe out all the small businesses to run their corporations highly profitable and create monopolies, once they have complete monopolies they make whatever rules they want, it is called Fascism

Sorry to be off topic
    Last edited by Franc Tireur; 16 April, 2011 at 16:08 PM.

Voltaire

Fascism?
    I don't remember Hitler shutting down all the small businesses.
    And remember, to the very end, there was competition in Germany to build tanks, guns, planes, etc.
    Same thing in the birthplace of fascism. Italy.

Really, corporations ruling the earth and our lives?
    That would be closer to pure capitalism.
    Wherein there are the corporations earning profit, the workers getting a wage.

9. Governments like big businesses, because they are easier to deal with. Small businesses are uncomfortable for governments, because they are so messy and difficult to manage. Similarly, Google likes big businesses (brands) because it feels safe for Google to direct searchers to well known brands. I lost lots of rankings in Panda II to Microsoft and CNet.

I'm in a search-centric business -- building web sites to help people solve problems. I either learn to live with higher costs, lower profits, and thinner margins or I find a new business to be in. Maybe I'll do affiliate sites and sell people crap they don't need. Maybe I'll do humor sites and help people forget that the economy is going to crap. Or maybe I'll buy a small hotel and run that for awhile.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Buy the hotel and run it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast