Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Are Directory submissions Still Effective After Google Panda Update?

  1. #11
    Directory submission is still an effective way to get a backlinks (anchor text) of your choice and also some direct traffic, but if done on relevant sites and in proper category.

  2. #12
    If done properly and carefully, I agree, Nitro. However, Penguin seems to be heavily focused on excessive anchor text usage (and repetitive use of the same anchor text). In all our testing, we have yet to see anyone get "Penguinized" forusing either a link without anchor text or a link with the anchor text the same as the page title.

    Their view of what looks "natural" is becoming more narrow all the time, it seems.
    Business site & SEO blog: http://topshelfcopy.com

  3. I think dir submissions can do more harm than good now, especially if done in bulk to low quality dirs. Times have sure changed! I used to do a lot of these and they always helped. Good quality manually run dirs that feature sites similar to your niche might still be useful though, but those are very rare.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    Directory submission is still an effective way to get a backlinks (anchor text) of your choice and also some direct traffic, but if done on relevant sites and in proper category.
    I think what the penguin update has done is highlight (across the board) the need to diversify anchor text when building links. Incorporating brands, as well as using longer tails to ensure that you aren't being too generic in chasing high profile keywords.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    If done properly and carefully, I agree, Nitro. However, Penguin seems to be heavily focused on excessive anchor text usage (and repetitive use of the same anchor text). In all our testing, we have yet to see anyone get "Penguinized" forusing either a link without anchor text or a link with the anchor text the same as the page title.

    Their view of what looks "natural" is becoming more narrow all the time, it seems.
    Totally agree. And by properly and carefully it means choosing the right directories. One cannot just run through any old list and expect a good result. There's been a pattern of de-indexation on the poor/low quality directories, and these are abundant in their 10s of thousands versus good directories which might exist in their hundreds.

    I think what you have done with your signature is the correct way to avoid penguin penalties on forums. Imagine submitting to 500 directories all with the same anchor text. At the very least it is 500 links from different sources. Imagine then also making 500 posts at a forum (not that many really), and using an anchored signature. That's 500 links from the same source. I believe Penguin is more designed to attack that specific type of link, than directories. Though I would still err on the side of caution and rotate, and submit to good quality directories, and reduce the numbers being submitted to, and not go overboard like some people do.

    Quote Originally Posted by DomainMagnate View Post
    I think dir submissions can do more harm than good now, especially if done in bulk to low quality dirs. Times have sure changed! I used to do a lot of these and they always helped. Good quality manually run dirs that feature sites similar to your niche might still be useful though, but those are very rare.
    I added the emphasis to your post, because it qualifies it completely. Anyone doing it in such a bulk number to all low quality is going to do themselves a dis-service.

    Niche directories are rare, but there are some gems. Both the Travel and Blog niches are well populated with a range of directories, as are regions like USA and UK. But the rest can be light-on.

  5. Most important thing is avoid your website submitting to FFA directories.FFA's results are virtually void on search engines. Many search engines will even penalize your website for being listed on FFA website, so you should be aware how worthless they are !!!

  6. #16
    If you have a website your business depends on, I suggest to search for terms you want to rank for and if a directory pops up, submit to it. If a directory cannot rank for terms you are after, avoid it.
    I am also a writer for Serpholic Media. You can find some of my articles here: Serpholic Media Blog

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    If you have a website your business depends on, I suggest to search for terms you want to rank for and if a directory pops up, submit to it. If a directory cannot rank for terms you are after, avoid it.
    This is probably good advice, but I have not seen any directory--other than local business directories--show up in search results for several years.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin


  8. #18
    Agree with TD.
    In searches, it really is hard to ever find a directory.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    This is probably good advice, but I have not seen any directory--other than local business directories--show up in search results for several years.
    Makes sense. Just submitted to a few directories and the click thru rate was literally zero.
    I am also a writer for Serpholic Media. You can find some of my articles here: Serpholic Media Blog

  10. #20
    I did do a variety of homepage links and inner page links and title of pages. I wouldn't do more than one link per directory. I'd stick to high quality directories, over a longer period of time. Brand names are good and URLs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •