Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is China Mobilizing For A War With Japan?

True, the end game of such a war would hurt China the most.
    As the article said, Japanese navy (and by extension the US Navy) would shut China off and probably devastate their merchant fleet.

US has a combat ready fleet near Taiwan always.
    Plus even more ships at Okinawa and Japan.
    And scads of Air Force.

Glorious leader would have no choice but to protect and defend Japan.
    But he may decide that hey, we need drones over China!

And the "quick win" comments on Beijing TV could have simply come from a bragging admiral to impress the people.

What a lot of outsiders do not understand about the Chinese military is that each branch and region operates semi-autonomously from the the Beijing political hierarchy. It is organized more like a crime syndicate with godfathers as generals and admirals. Each regional leader is allowed to run their area as they see fit.

The vast majority of the counterfeiting operations in China are run by the generals as a way to supplement their income and raise money to buy loyalty from the local population. That is why the Chinese government has no desire to stop it.

I was in Tiananmen Square in 1989 just as the student protests were getting under way. The reason why it took a month for the government to respond with military force is because they had to bring troops and tanks in from another region. The local general refused to attack his own people because it would destroy his position of power.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

I suspect that China is letting North Korea off the leash to see how the US will react.

All of the forces of evil are uniting to see if they can break the back of the USA. Under Dear Leader Obama, they may succeed.

Given all of the economic ties between the USA and China, I don't think it would be in China's best short term interest to break the USA, but it may be in the long term.

I can't help but think that North Korea may be playing the part of The Mouse That Roared. That was a 1950s novel in which the imaginary European country of Grand Fenwick declared was on the USA in order to avoid bankruptcy. The theory was that poor countries are better off after they are conquered by the USA due to all of the followup economic support.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Russian bomber conducts practice strikes on US missile defenses in Asia

A Russian bomber recently carried out simulated cruise missile attacks on U.S. missile defenses in Asia, raising new questions about Moscow's goal in future U.S.-Russian defense talks.
    According to U.S. officials, a Russian Tu-22M Backfire bomber on Feb. 26 simulated firing air-launched cruise missiles at an Aegis ship deployed near Japan as part of U.S. missile defenses.
    A second mock attack was conducted Feb. 27 against a ground-based missile defense site in Japan that officials did not identify further.
    The Pentagon operates an X-band missile defense radar on the northern tip of Japan that is designed to monitor North Korean missile launches and transmit the data to missile-firing ships.
    The bomber targeting comes as Russia is building up forces in the Pacific by modernizing submarines and building a spy ship specifically for intelligence-gathering against U.S. missile defenses.
    Officials said it was not clear why the Russians conducted the practice strikes. However, the simulations may indicate Moscow has targeted its offensive ballistic missiles on Japan or U.S. military bases in the region.
    Russian bomber conducts practice strikes on US missile defenses in Asia | Fox News

It looks to me that they are trying to strech the US military on the chess board. Is North Korea will ignite a conflict backed by China and Russia?

Some Chinese units have been in North Korea since the police action of the 1950-1953 so called.

Now China is moving more units to the border.

Whether to back up North Korea or to try and keep North Korea in line?
    That is what the pundits and state department and military are looking very closely at.

Remember that it wasn't the North Koreans that pushed us back to the 38th parallel during the Korean War. It was about a million Chinese who joined the battle on the side of the North.

A lot of people think that Viet Nam was the first war that we did not win, but it was actually the Korean war. The Korean War just wasn't a defeat and surrender.

I have been to South Korea a few times and it is actually my least favorite place on the planet. In my opinion, the Korean people are obnoxious, show open hatred for Americans, and will scam you every opportunity they get. That included taxi cab drivers, hotel workers and airlines employees. I've never experienced that anywhere else, including China. Ever since my first visit, I have been a strong advocate of pulling all of our troops out of there. South Korea holds no strategic value for us. The last time that I was there, there was a major union strike taking place and anyone who crossed the picket line was doused with alcohol and set on fire. These are the people we have been protecting. We never hear about any of this in the American media.

Dont know who put a bur under Kim Jung Whatever's saddle... but to be safe we might wanna avoid letting marginally sane basketball players do goodwill tours. Doesn't appear to be yielding the results one might hope for.
    -- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. --

I guess it depends on how hungry the North Korean Army is. One scenario is for them to cross the DMZ and take Seoul which is only 40km away. This would give them a bargaining chip.

Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    Remember that it wasn't the North Koreans that pushed us back to the 38th parallel during the Korean War. It was about a million Chinese who joined the battle on the side of the North.
    This is another scenario the Chinese military would love. The US only has 10 active divisions and there's no way that the US will get the kind of support it did during the Korean War.

Combat Forces
    Republic of Korea (South Korea) - 590,911
    United States - 302,483
    United Kingdom - 14,198
    Philippines - 7,496
    Thailand - 6,326
    Canada - 6,146
    Turkey - 5,453
    Australia - 2,282
    New Zealand - 1,385
    Ethiopia - 1,271
    Greece - 1,263
    France - 1,119
    Colombia - 1,068
    Belgium - 900
    South Africa - 826
    Netherlands - 819
    Luxembourg - 44

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
    Russian bomber conducts practice strikes on US missile defenses in Asia

Russian bomber conducts practice strikes on US missile defenses in Asia | Fox News

It looks to me that they are trying to strech the US military on the chess board. Is North Korea will ignite a conflict backed by China and Russia?
    This was a Russian cheap shot.

This was a Russian cheap shot.
    It was Russia showing us they have no fear of or respect for Obama. So much for the vaunted "reset".
    -- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. --

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast