Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dollar Died

Hi,

Ok, So the world is coming to an end and you guys want food, ammo, whiskey, and scotch for penicillin or sex if your Dawg. LOL

I understand that those things might all be important. But at what time will gold and silver be good then?

Back in 2000 silver prices were around $5 now thirteen years later $30 any thing else out there with that type of return on your investment?

Is politics making these prices rise?

If the world don't come to an end in the next four years with are current administration (fingers and toes crossed that don't happen).... What do you guys feel will be a good investment? I don't know anything about ammo as far as shelf life goes, but I don't think I want to eat 10 year old food, however a well aged scotch is a different story, that is so smooth burp!!!

Looks like my get rich quick idea on buying silver for my retirement is not the best idea then.

Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Sami4u View Post
    Back in 2000 silver prices were around $5 now thirteen years later $30 any thing else out there with that type of return on your investment?

Is politics making these prices rise?
    The price of gold and silver has been rising primarily for three reasons.

1) The decline in the value of the dollar. Gold is not money. It is a commodity. When the value of the dollar declines it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of gold, silver, platinum, oil or any other world commodity.

2) The gold hucksters have artificially inflated the price of gold. If they cannot raise the demand and the prices, they cannot make any money. When they say that Gold has outperformed the stock market for the past 10 years, they fail to mention that this is only because of the market crash in 2008 and 2009. Historically, gold and silver have never outperformed the stock market over a longer period of time. The gold hucksters are also using scare tactics to drive up the prices. They only show you the 10 year trend because it is an anomaly.

3) World tensions. When the world becomes more unstable, people start to hoard precious metals. This is the political part, but it also plays on people's natural instincts. The prices did not start to skyrocket until after 9/11 when America went on the warpath.

Gold and silver prices have crashed many times in the past. If you look at the prices for gold and silver from 1975 through 2000, you would not consider it to be a good investment. In fact, you would have lost considerable money on 1980 gold investments due to inflation and a huge decline in the value of the dollar.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of this page to see the real historical trend for silver. If you fell for the scare tactics in 1980 and invested heavily in silver at the peak in 1980, you would barely break even in dollar prices today.

Silver Price History

Here is the same data for gold. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the historic prices. Do you think "Gold is the only investment that always increases in value" as some of the gold hucksters claim?

Gold Price History

The price for silver is currently falling again because people are moving into the stock market, which is also being artificially inflated. When that bubble pops again (it will), investments will move back to gold and silver and those prices will rise again.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

If the world don't come to an end in the next four years with are current administration (fingers and toes crossed that don't happen).... What do you guys feel will be a good investment?
    You missed the Bitcoin bubble. Bitcoins are peer-to-peer digital currency.

In April 2011, Bitcoins were selling for $1 and the exchange rate peaked at $266 in April 2013.

At the moment there's a Bitcoin panic and trading has been suspended. The same thing happened in 2011 with prices falling from $30 to $1.

If the price falls into single digits, Bitcoins could be something to look at. You can always spend them on Silk Road.

I don't know anything about ammo as far as shelf life goes, but I don't think I want to eat 10 year old food, however a well aged scotch is a different story, that is so smooth burp!!
    The shelf life for ammo is ten years. With 60 year old ammo stored under the right conditions, you'd expect 100 bad rounds out of 5000.

Au Contraire my friend.
    Ammo keep in good condition will last many, many, many years!
    They are using artillery shells still from WWII and the Korean Conflict.

22 ammo I had for almost 30 years, fired off good.

Best is to learn how to reload and get the right equipment to do so.
    Son-in-law and daughter learned last year how to to this.
    Talk about two people (and their daughter) who go where people shoot and pick up the brass.

Also for the end of times:
    Learn how to make molotov cocktails.
    Learn how to butcher and jerk the meat.

And one important thing to learn?
    Who and who is not your friend!
    Like any liberals, good source of lots of stuff, just shoot and grab.

And remember, the police are not empowered to protect you or your possessions!

Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    At the moment there's a Bitcoin panic and trading has been suspended. The same thing happened in 2011 with prices falling from $30 to $1.

If the price falls into single digits, Bitcoins could be something to look at. You can always spend them on Silk Road.
    Bitcoins are scary. From what I understand, no country, bank or anything actually backs bitcoins. Their actual value is zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    The shelf life for ammo is ten years. With 60 year old ammo stored under the right conditions, you'd expect 100 bad rounds out of 5000.
    I do have quite a bit of Korean war era 45 ammo that I bought 30 years ago for $3 per box. I still use it and have never had a misfire. If stored cool and dry, it will last a long time.

The Obama administration is currently buying enough ammo to support a continuous war for the next 20 years. I wonder what the military does with old ammo. Under Obama, they certainly would not sell it to the consumer market as surplus. I know a guy who works for Federal. He says they are operating continually making ammo to fulfill five years worth of government orders.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

I am living for the day. Trying to have an enjoyable time while I dodge the ammo, bird flu, currency collapse, and missiles until I finally get hit. It's such a different lifestyle to the old model of the career, saving, insuring, working towards retirement, longing for Friday, dreading Monday etc.

you'd expect 100 bad rounds out of 5000
    But those are still useful as tracer rounds maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy101 View Post
    I am living for the day. Trying to have an enjoyable time while I dodge the ammo, bird flu, currency collapse, and missiles until I finally get hit. It's such a different lifestyle to the old model of the career, saving, insuring, working towards retirement, longing for Friday, dreading Monday etc.
    Japan is the most civilized, hard-working and honest country I have ever visited, which is why I have a lot of respect for the Japanese people (quite the opposite of my Korean opinion). They still have their political struggles and have endured over 20 years of serious economic issues, but they continue to survive without becoming a beggar nation. I would love to do what you are doing, but my wife has never become comfortable with non English speaking countries. Bummer.

Other than the threats from China and their mini-me piss-ant puppet country Korea, you are in a pretty safe area, even for a gaijin.

Quote Unquote from the DHS and other government agencies.
    All this ammo is being bought (note, they do not have those 1.6 billion rounds yet, they are on order to be delivered at certain times over the next several years) for training purposes.
    Just like the military, those in the IRS, FBI, SSA, etc. that do carry weapons must stay proficient.
    Thus they say they need at least 15,000 rounds per day for this.

The Postal Inspection Service always has to make sure their agents are proficient with all arms they use, from dinky revolvers all the way to full auto guns.
    And they do go through a heck of a lot of rounds every day.
    Bit of history:
    back in the 1930's, the FBI and the Army had to go to the Postal Inspectors to get thompson sub machine guns, as they had been buying the entire output.

Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    Quote Unquote from the DHS and other government agencies.
    All this ammo is being bought (note, they do not have those 1.6 billion rounds yet, they are on order to be delivered at certain times over the next several years) for training purposes.
    Just like the military, those in the IRS, FBI, SSA, etc. that do carry weapons must stay proficient.
    Thus they say they need at least 15,000 rounds per day for this.
    Or they are buying it to keep the manufacturers occupied and keep ammo out of the hands of civilians. The amount of ammo they are buying is unprecedented and is enough to keep a full-blown active war going for 20 years.

20 years = 7305 days. 1.6 billion rounds / 7305 days = 219,000 rounds per day. That is enough to cover a pretty hot war.

If you assume they are not lying, then 1.6 billion rounds / 15,000 practice rounds used per day = 106,666 days of practice ammo, which equals a 292 year supply of practice ammo. Conclusion: they are lying.

Even if they used an average or ten times the 15K minimum per day, they would have more than enough ammo to last way past our lifetimes.

The numbers do not come close to matching up with anything they are saying. It is just more Obama BS because they assume that the average person cannot do basic math, or doesn't care enough to check their figures.

Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    Au Contraire my friend.
    Ammo keep in good condition will last many, many, many years!
    They are using artillery shells still from WWII and the Korean Conflict.

22 ammo I had for almost 30 years, fired off good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    I do have quite a bit of Korean war era 45 ammo that I bought 30 years ago for $3 per box. I still use it and have never had a misfire. If stored cool and dry, it will last a long time.
    The Federal Ammo website states in their online FAQ that there's a 10-year shelf life on loaded ammunition.

Ammo degrades over time. But ammo quality and of course how it's been stored are more important. US military surplus or US brand manufactured ammo will last longer than Chinese ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy101 View Post
    But those are still useful as tracer rounds maybe?
    100 of 5000 rounds being duds or hang fires isn't bad. That's still 98% good and still good for target practice and hunting.

I would say that Post WW II Ammo would fire better than 100/5000 hang fires and duds. The only way to know would be to test. There's a lot of Pre-WW2 and Post-WW2 ammo on the market and usually it's pretty good.

Persian 8mm Mauser Ammo - 1930s Production

Looks like my get rich quick idea on buying silver for my retirement is not the best idea then.
    One issue is the price of silver can be maninpulated. During the 1970s, the Hunt brothers cornered the Silver Market and prices surged in 1979 to $50 oz and collapsed as fast back down to $11 in 1980.

If the world don't come to an end in the next four years with are current administration (fingers and toes crossed that don't happen).... What do you guys feel will be a good investment?
    The current adminstration is Jimmy Carter and the 1970s all over again. The 1970s were remebered by massive shortgages of Beef, Coffee, Gas, Pennies, and Toliet Paper.

A Johnny Carson joke in his monologue caused the Toilet Paper shortage, "You know what's disappearing from the supermarket shelves? Toilet paper. There's an acute shortage of toilet paper in the United States." The next 20 million people that watched the Carson show that evening ran out in the morning and bought as much toilet paper as they could carry. By noon on December 20, 1973, practically every store in America was out of stock.

In addition to the current Ammo Shortage, the price of ground beef is at an all time high. This is why I say stockpile McDonald's Monster Macs. The price is currently $8.75 including tax.

100620452-mega-mac-courtesy.600x400.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast