Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fukushima: A Nuclear War without a War

Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    If if they don't start out as lairs, most end up that way as the system corrupts them. Politicians in Washington DC easily get isolated from reality. I have also refused to vote in elections when I did not trust anyone who was running for office. Hoever, I have since learned that not voting just helps get the worst person elected. I am also no longer using the mail-in ballots. Here in Arizona, the mail-in ballots had still not been counted two weeks after the last presidential election. That means that the only votes that counted were those who showed up in person to vote.
    I deeply dislike and often clash with the cabalists ultranationalists or nationalists you can find them in forums and in the real life, but I like very much the patriot people in whatever country. The reason I dislike cabalists doctrine, is that they never want to see the reality which are positivity and negativity or optimism and pessimism. They just see positivity where it doesn't exist and they aren't able to see negativity which is necessary to make a judgement. In fact they are immature and they live in a world I am calling la la la land.

Like I said earlier, votes lost their signification because we don't vote for candidate with experience or some highly skilled politicians, we vote these days for a candidate that come from nowhere which is less evil or corrupted. What kind of vote is that? In most western countries there are two main political parties that focus on their disagreements which mainly represent 20%, and they of course agree on 80% the rest of the time, so basically you are fighting the opposition, depending of your side for 20% which is ridiculous. Voting for 20% difference doesn't make any sense!

Now don't make me wrong I love politics but I rather prefer supporting ideas that can be implemented by either side, and I guess it is much more constructive to support political ideas than political candidate, except Ron Paul that I support, because he is a great American leader.

As far as Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman, I think it was a huge push to manipulate the race card and divide people.

Back to the subject, here is what we are at today: Source Reuters

Japan's Nuclear Regulator Alarmed About Fukushima Contamination Reports

Japan's nuclear regulator expressed growing alarm on Wednesday at increased contamination beside the seafront of the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station and urged the plant's operators to take protective measures.

Fukushima's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., has acknowledged problems are mounting at the plant north of Tokyo, the site of the world's worst atomic disaster since Chernobyl in 1986.

On Tuesday, the company said radiation levels in groundwater had soared, suggesting highly toxic materials from the plant were getting closer to the Pacific more than two years after three meltdowns triggered by a massive earthquake and tsunami.

Shunichi Tanaka, head of the new Nuclear Regulation Authority, told reporters he believed contamination of the sea had been continuing since the March 2011 catastrophe.

“I think contamination of the sea is continuing to a greater or lesser extent,” Tanaka said. “It was contaminated at the time of the accident, but I think it has been continuing for the last two years. Coming up with countermeasures against all possible scenarios is a top priority.”

The NRA “strongly suspected” radiation was contaminating the Pacific, Kyodo news agency said in an earlier report from a weekly NRA commission meeting, citing Tanaka.

In the days after the tsunami, a plume of radiation from explosions fell over wide areas of the land and sea.

Toxic materials, such as caesium, were later found to have leaked through channels in the ground on the side of the station by the sea, prompting expressions of concern from South Korea and China.

On Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said she was unaware of reports of contamination leaking into the Pacific.

An official at South Korea's fisheries ministry said regular tests were run on fish caught off the country's coast and any with contamination exceeding permitted levels banned from sale. Another ministry official said the direction of currents made it unlikely contamination would reach South Korean waters.

Tokyo Electric, also known as Tepco, said it was checking Tanaka's comments and could offer no immediate comment.

Tepco said on Tuesday an observation well between the damaged reactor No. 2 and the sea showed levels of radioactive caesium-134 and ceasium-137 had soared over the weekend.

Last month, Tepco found lower levels of caesium in groundwater flowing into the plant on ground some distance from the sea.

The operator has been flushing water over the melted fuel rods in three reactors to keep them cool for more than two years, but contaminated water has been building up at the rate of an Olympic-size swimming pool each week.

In April, Tepco warned it might run out of space to store the water and sought approval to channel what it called groundwater with low levels of radiation around the plant and to the sea through a “bypass.”

Any revelations about contamination of the sea are certain to bolster local fishermen's resolve to oppose the plan.
    Japan's Nuclear Regulator Alarmed About Fukushima Contamination Reports

Source: Japan today

The deadliest part of Fukushima's nuclear clean-up: Removing fuel rods

The operator of Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is preparing to remove 400 tons of highly irradiated spent fuel from a damaged reactor building, a dangerous operation that has never been attempted before on this scale. Containing radiation equivalent to 14,000 times the amount released in the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima 68 years ago, more than 1,300 used fuel rod assemblies packed tightly together need to be removed from a building that is vulnerable to collapse, should another large earthquake hit the area.
    Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) is already in a losing battle to stop radioactive water overflowing from another part of the facility, and experts question whether it will be able to pull off the removal of all the assemblies successfully.
    “They are going to have difficulty in removing a significant number of the rods,” said Arnie Gundersen, a veteran U.S. nuclear engineer and director of Fairewinds Energy Education, who used to build fuel assemblies.
    The operation, beginning this November at the plant’s No. 4 reactor, is fraught with danger, including the possibility of a large release of radiation if a fuel assembly breaks, gets stuck or gets too close to an adjacent bundle, said Gundersen and other nuclear experts.
    That could lead to a worse disaster than the March 2011 nuclear crisis at the Fukushima plant.
    No one knows how bad it can get, but independent consultants Mycle Schneider and Antony Froggatt said recently in their World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2013: “Full release from the No. 4 spent fuel pool, without any containment or control, could cause by far the most serious radiological disaster to date.”
    TEPCO has already removed two unused fuel assemblies from the pool in a test operation last year, but these rods are less dangerous than the spent bundles. Extracting spent fuel is a normal part of operations at a nuclear plant, but safely plucking them from a badly damaged reactor is unprecedented.
    “To jump to the conclusion that it is going to work just fine for the rest of them is quite a leap of logic,” said Gundersen.
    The utility says it recognizes the operation will be difficult but believes it can carry it out safely.
    Nonetheless, TEPCO inspires little confidence. Sharply criticized for failing to protect the Fukushima plant against natural disasters, its handling of the crisis since then has also been lambasted.
    The deadliest part of Fukushima's nuclear clean-up: Removing fuel rods ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

I am wondering if TEPCO is really qualified to work on nuclear power plants. Moving manually 1,300 rods fuel spent (400 tons) from the top building is unbelievable dangerous, seems like they are playing with the fire that could end up in another catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Tireur View Post
    I am wondering if TEPCO is really qualified to work on nuclear power plants. Moving manually 1,300 rods fuel spent (400 tons) from the top building is unbelievable dangerous, seems like they are playing with the fire that could end up in another catastrophe.
    That is what I was saying about trying to get people to go after this thing. Any worker that spends more than couple of hours in the area--even with protective suits--is risking a lethal dose of radiation. The Russians handled it differently when firefighters and others refused to go near the Chernobyl facility during that disaster. Those that refused were lined up and shot.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Just to let you know that when the incident of Tchernobyl occurred, only one reactor was involved and the many countries were contaminated involving hundreds of thousands deaths.

Okay, where does this information come from?

The Chernobly organization has only put the death toll at around 4,000.

That is what I was saying about trying to get people to go after this thing. Any worker that spends more than couple of hours in the area--even with protective suits--is risking a lethal dose of radiation. The Russians handled it differently when firefighters and others refused to go near the Chernobyl facility during that disaster. Those that refused were lined up and shot.
    Prove the statement of Russians lining up and shooting those that refused.
    As the first firefighters on the scene went in, knowing they would probably die soon.

Quote Originally Posted by iowadawg View Post
    Prove the statement of Russians lining up and shooting those that refused.
    As the first firefighters on the scene went in, knowing they would probably die soon.
    That was in the news shortly after the Chernobyl disaster. I did not make it up. A number of firefighters and other emergency personnel refused to go near Chernobyl when they were ordered to do so. 1986 was prior to the fall of the Soviet Union, so the story is not so hard to believe. Yep, a lot of people did rush to the scene knowing that they were likely to die, but some refused. That is also not hard to believe.

Of course, just because it was reported by the media does not make it true. Much of what the media reports today cannot be proved. It is hard to find an accurate story about the incident today because the Internet was not available to citizens in 1986, and only some of the the news stories may have been published.

Here is an article that mentions 600,000 people involved in the Chernobyl cleanup. That seems like a lot more than were needed. It looks like all of the top dogs at the facility were sentenced to forced labor camps. The article says they could have been shot.

Station’s ex-manager: Chernobyl taught no one anything

I could not find proof of the story about the firefighter executions.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Fukushima's Radioactive Plume Could Reach U.S. Waters By 2014

A radioactive plume of water in the Pacific Ocean from Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant, which was crippled in the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, will likely reach U.S. coastal waters starting in 2014, according to a new study. The long journey of the radioactive particles could help researchers better understand how the ocean’s currents circulate around the world. Ocean simulations showed that the plume of radioactive cesium-137 released by the Fukushima disaster in 2011 could begin flowing into U.S. coastal waters starting in early 2014 and peak in 2016. Luckily, two ocean currents off the eastern coast of Japan — the Kuroshio Current and the Kuroshio Extension — would have diluted the radioactive material so that its concentration fell well below the World Health Organization’s safety levels within four months of the Fukushima incident. But it could have been a different story if nuclear disaster struck on the other side of Japan.
    “The environmental impact could have been worse if the contaminated water would have been released in another oceanic environment in which the circulation was less energetic and turbulent,” said Vincent Rossi, an oceanographer and postdoctoral research fellow at the Institute for Cross-Disciplinary Physics and Complex Systems in Spain.
    Fukushima’s radioactive water release has taken its time journeying across the Pacific. By comparison, atmospheric radiation from the Fukushima plant began reaching the U.S. West Coast within just days of the disaster back in 2011.
    Fukushima's Radioactive Plume Could Reach U.S. Waters By 2014

and

Fukushima nuclear plant still 'unstable', regulator says

The crisis at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant "has not ended", the country's nuclear watchdog has warned, saying the situation there is "unstable". Watchdog chief Shunichi Tanaka also accused the plan's operator of careless management during the crisis.
    He added that it may not be possible to avoid dumping some contaminated water into the ocean.
    The comments come a day before the Japanese government is due to unveil plans to rescue the clean-up operation.
    Mr Tanaka's comments come after Fukushima's operator, the Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco), said radiation levels near one tank were 18 times higher than previously thought.
    However, Mr Tanaka said that reports that this level of radiation could be lethal to workers after four hours of exposure were exaggerated.
    "Supposing the figure of 1,800 millisieverts per hour is correct, it is beta radiation. It will not penetrate as long as there is a 5-10 millimetre-thick plastic shield or you wear leather shoes," he said.
    BBC News - Fukushima nuclear plant still 'unstable', regulator says

Another crisis waiting to burst...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire

I have already stopped eating all seafood from Asia, but that was mostly because of the unsanitary and toxic conditions on seafood farms in China and Vietnam. It looks like this is the last year for eating salmon and all west coast USA seafood.

I have already stopped eating all seafood from Asia, but that was mostly because of the unsanitary and toxic conditions on seafood farms in China and Vietnam. It looks like this is the last year for eating salmon and all west coast USA seafood.
    I use to eat some seafood before, but now I am thinking twice. I am afraid that there is not only the seafood involved, but air and land contamination that could affect the food chain.

FDA quietly increases allowed radiation doses of meats for human consumption

Rather than actually take the time to address the root causes of meat and poultry contamination, which more often than not are a direct result of outrageously unsanitary factory farming practices (Industrial Farm Animal Production Linked to Increased Human Disease), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has instead decided to simply up the doses of radiation that industrial food producers are allowed to blast on their filthy, contaminated meat products.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast