Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Government shutdown continues, no agreement in sight

Quote Originally Posted by robjones View Post
    It's amazing that Obama says he will not negotiate, Reid says he will not negotiate, Boehner says he'll be happy to... and the story for publication is that the GOP is "holding everyone hostage". They offered one bill that funded the gov fully but required CONGRESS to be subject to Obamacare. Reid wouldnt call it up for a vote.
    There will be much more unattended consequences that they planned , the big winners are the health insurance corporations and big pharma. I am wondering what legal bribery congress and their staffs are going to get for the implementation of this mandatory system...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire

The Dems are trying to play rope-a-dope with Boehner. They know he cannot win with Reid in charge of the Senate and Obama pledging to veto any Republican plan, no matter how much the American people may like it.

The polls are saying that people are splitting the blame pretty much equally between Congress and Obama. Of course, Obama is not up for re-election.

This is all part of the DemocRat game plan to try to take back Congress in 2014. If they succeed in doing so, and Obama is allowed to rule unrestricted for his last two years, there is no salvation for this country. The amount of further damage that he can do is almost unimaginable. The final nails will be put on the USA's coffin. The 2014 elections will determine the future of the country. This may be the most important mid-term election in our history.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

If you see the real problem below the political debate, it is the debt and the spending of this country. Unfortunately, both political parties like to spend, perhaps not on the same things, but they really do.

Until both political parties don't realize that they cannot spend like before, we are far away of resolving difficulties for the American people and the country.

Voltaire

I'm amazed that the president thinks publicly pissing on veterans and active duty military is going to do anything but make him look like the unpatriotic petty bastard the right already knows he is and the left may figure out. He's doing everything humanly possible to show his most universally hated attribute and it's not going to be something Democratic Senators want to explain in townhall meetings at election time. It's pretty surreal. He's betting the public will blame someone else, but that seems unlikely.
    -- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. --

Rob, I am afraid it is worth than that.

US Military Won't Compensate Families For Dead Soldiers During Government Shutdown

US Military Won't Compensate Families - Business Insider

I don't know what's wrong with this people, but I can tell you that's is shameful to let down the families of military like this.

The political system is broken, the economy is a mess, and the American People is angry.

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 10 October, 2013 at 18:37 PM.

Voltaire

Thats part of what I'm talking about. Obama made a serious mis-step trying to decline death benefits to families of those that died in service of our country, and now he's having to try and separate himself from his own action. I knew he didn't have a soul... or at least one that's headed anywhere he'll enjoy... but I wasnt aware he also lacked a functional brain. He's a total jackass.
    -- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. --

Kick Them All Out! Distaste for DC Politicians at All-Time High

The public's displeasure with Washington politics reached a new high Friday with separate polls calling for all members of Congress to be fired and for a strong third party to challenge the 150-year-old dominance of Republicans and Democrats.

One survey also gave the lowest-ever favorability to the GOP, with more than twice as many people having a negative view as a positive.

The government shutdown and the continued failure of politicians to seek compromise was being blamed for the low opinion of the country's current leaders.

One poll, conducted for NBC News and the Wall Street Journal, showed that given the chance, 60 percent of Americans would vote out every single member of Congress — including their own representatives.

It is the highest-ever figure recorded since the pollsters asked the question. "We continue to use this number as a way to sort of understand how much revulsion there is. We now have a new high-water mark," said Peter Hart, one of those who conducted the poll.

A separate Gallup poll gave the same 60 percent number for those who believe the country needs a strong third party — again a record high. At the same time, a new low of 26 percent believe the two major parties adequately represent Americans.

"Given the inability of the Republican and Democratic parties to agree on the most basic of government functions — passing an annual budget to pay for federal programs — it is perhaps not surprising that the percentage of Americans who believe a third party is needed has never been higher," Gallup managing editor Jeffrey Jones said.

The belief was evenly split, with 52 percent of Republicans and 49 percent of Democrats saying a third party is needed, marking the first time a majority of either party's supporters have said this.

The results are consistent with Gallup's finding of more negative opinions of both parties since the shutdown began Oct. 1, including Americans' widespread dissatisfaction with the way the nation is being governed.

Eighteen percent of Americans now say they are satisfied with how Washington is running the country, down 14 percent from the 32 percent recorded last month. It's also the lowest government satisfaction rating in Gallup's history of asking the question, going back to 1971 — through such crises as Watergate, the Iran hostages, the Clinton impeachment hearings, the war in Iraq, and the recession.

The figures provide "still another example of how the government shutdown is having a detrimental impact on Americans' attitudes," Gallup stated.

While both major parties fare badly in the polls, it is the Republicans who continue to get more blame. More than twice as many hold a negative view of the GOP as a positive one, the NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found. Those viewing the Democratic Party positively or negatively was nearly equal, at about 40 percent.

Bill McInturff, a Republican pollster who conducted the poll along with Democrats Hart and Fred Yang, called the data "toxic" and said that in many key areas the GOP had suffered from an "ideological boomerang" contrary to the outcome it sought when members of the party launched the budget fight last month.

"What is stunning about these results is just how hard and how quickly public attitudes have landed on the shutdown," said Hard, adding that the poll underscored "a broad disgust for the political system."

Other polls this week have also indicated that Republicans get the brunt of the blame for the shutdown, but also show that nobody in Washington comes out looking like a hero.
    The latest Associated Press-GfK survey, released Wednesday, found that 62 percent of respondents mainly blamed the GOP for the shutdown, while about half said President Barack Obama or Democrats in Congress bear much of the responsibility.

Kick Them All Out! Distaste for DC Politicians at All-Time High

It doesn't look better than last week...People are fed up with all of this.

Voltaire

I like the part about 60% favoring a strong 3rd party. I am all for a 3rd party or at least a conservative party who can clearly demonstrate that they have a plan to improve the situation and bring us back to traditional behaviors that actually work.

The Republicans always seem to forget that the Democrats are street fighters. For a street fighter there is no trick that is too dirty, there is no limit to the level of deception, and promises are made with no intention of fulfilling them. Their only goal is to win.

Unfortunately, history has shown use over and over that when times really get tough, someone does step up to the plate and at least initially improves the situation and develops strong support from the people. Some of these people were Adolph Hitler, Mao Zedong, and Joseph Stalin.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
    I like the part about 60% favoring a strong 3rd party. I am all for a 3rd party or at least a conservative party who can clearly demonstrate that they have a plan to improve the situation and bring us back to traditional behaviors that actually work.

The Republicans always seem to forget that the Democrats are street fighters. For a street fighter there is no trick that is too dirty, there is no limit to the level of deception, and promises are made with no intention of fulfilling them. Their only goal is to win.

Unfortunately, history has shown use over and over that when times really get tough, someone does step up to the plate and at least initially improves the situation and develops strong support from the people. Some of these people were Adolph Hitler, Mao Zedong, and Joseph Stalin.
    I always favored a 3rd party, a 4th party, and so on, so people can express their opinion and may be strong enough to be heard because it is much better to have the people interested in politics than go wild and do bad things like rioting and falling into criminality. There is no solution in violence, and violence bring repression, not democracy. There is also a key point that is reducing the power of the executive to avoid falling into an authoritarian system. Why not simply go back and follow the Constitution, it was working fine for a few centuries, why now it is not working? Because the Constitution is not followed.

Voltaire

Germany has had as many as 20 parties running in their elections. That also brings out the fringe kooks. Back in the 1990s I remember one party whose name translated to something like "Work Is Shit". They thought everyone should be allowed to stay home and enjoy life while being supported by the government. They got 5% of the vote in that election. If the same party ran here, they would likely get 40% or more of the vote. I think the Democrats have effectively broken the work ethic for too many people in the USA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast