Building on Will's suggestions here is my review..
As someone with a soft spot for gaming I am attracted to the gaming related imagery in the header and the rotating box. However, while the general look of the site is neat it isn't very exceptional, especially for a gamers site.
As Will mentioned, the header could use a higher resolution image. It might be a good idea to go through screenshots of popular games and pick the most exciting one you can find that fits your site's color scheme and logo. Another option is to have multiple such screenshots cut into the header rotating the same way those rotating images in the main content area do, in which case the current rotator can be removed since it feels somewhat out of place there. That said, I would also add the following suggestions.
1. The current "www.eglms.com" is a poor substitute for a full blown logo. I would suggest creating or having someone create an attractive site logo fitting for a good gaming site. Something that emphasizes "EGLMS" letters in some fancy way and then saying "Elite Gamers" in a neat way below it. I actually did a quick mock up as one possible example (but I'm not a professional logo designer so.. this can be much better).
2. If you do not decide to make the header contain rotating images, I would suggest, at the very least centering the current rotator to make it look somewhat more aligned. Otherwise it might be best to remove it. An alternative is to resize it to exactly the width of the main content area and lower height and put it right beneath the header. It would then appear like a subheader for the content area and fit in nicely.
3. One thing that always makes content appear better when they have videos or images embedded in them in between paragraphs is to center them. You could center youtube and image embeds in your posts.
4. Consider increasing the font size of your post titles so that they are more eye catching, but not too much.
5. Since the forum is the second most important thing of the site, it might be a good idea to create a special button that can fit at the top of the sidebar and link it to the forum. The button could be made eye catching and attractive and say something like "Join our community" or "Check out our forum".
6. On the forum itself, the header is somewhat different than on the site. There is no double border and there is a black margin on top which isn't present on the block. Usually the closer the forum header matches the header of the rest of the site the better in that it feels more integrated.
Design Rating: 6/10
The domain name of elgms.com isn't very clear in terms of what it represents which makes it all the more important for the site's title, slogans and about page to build a clear picture of site's focus. Unfortunately, there is only the title "Elite Gamers", no slogan and no about page so the best one can conclude immediately after visiting the site is that it's a blog about gaming.
This isn't necessarily bad and ultimately if the content is good, forums are active, the site could still thrive, but it is still something that would add to the quality of the overall experience, especially of new visitors. It may therefore be a good idea to think up a slogan that clearly identifies what's unique or what is the focus of elgms.com, aside from being a site for gamers. The about page could be written to further, but briefly, explain site's purpose, what makes it special and what can visitor expect to gain from it.
In fairness, there is an introduction on the forums, but that should also be present on the main site.
That said, forum categorization seems sensible, covering popular consoles and most popular games.
Focus Rating: 7/10
There is more than 100 posts in 18 categories about popular games a lot of which contain interesting images and videos. Reading (and watching) the content one can learn about various happenings and news from the gaming community as well as more about the games themselves. There is also a files section with game maps.
Forums have more than 3500 threads dispersed throughout them, though there are still a few forums with a small number of posts. It also appears quite active, if a little slow. Most latest posts have been made within last month.
Content wise this is pretty good and new content seems to be added to the main site quite frequently which may help with further increasing forum activity.
Content Rating: 10/10
Albeit a little weak on the design side and with room for improvement in terms of presenting its focus to new visitors, elgms.com contains plenty of relevant content and decent forum activity which gives it a fair bit of potential. If said weaknesses were rectified, possibly with a full redesign, elgms.com stands a chance of being a top notch gaming resource and community.
Overall Rating: 8/10