Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Show TinyURL - My simple AJAX powered site!

  1. #1
    stickycarrots's Avatar
    stickycarrots is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    QuickInbox.com
    Posts
    753
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 86 Times in 59 Posts

    Arrow Show TinyURL - My simple AJAX powered site!

    So, I think it's only fair that twitter users have the ability to see whether or not a link posted by someone they are following is an advertisement or not. This includes TwtAd ads. TinyURL is the main short url service used on Twitter and although they do have a feature you can use to see where a link redirects to before going to it, not a lot of people know about that.

    I've developed Show TinyURL, a site you can use to find where a TinyURL link redirects to:
    Show TinyURL - Show Where a TinyURL Redirects

    Design
    I made the design of the site based around the design at TinyURL. I used all the same colors and worked around the simplicity of it, but gave it my own flavor.



    Application
    I used AJAX to make it really simple to use

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Charles's Avatar
    Charles is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    On the Bike
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 311 Times in 212 Posts
    Excellent service. The only suggestion that I have... Is that you center the design (i.e. use percentages, instead of fixed widths).

  3. #3
    Aquarezz's Avatar
    Aquarezz is offline Master Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,853
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    683
    Thanked 591 Times in 463 Posts
    It's very cool, but I'm asking myself atm why people don't copy the link, and just put 'preview' between the http:// & .tinyurl.com, it gives a preview of the link too

    What you could do to make it more special, is post a screenshot of the website after it is 'checked'. Otherwise I don't see many benefits of using this site instead of using the subdomain preview... The preview can be done by websnapr - Website Thumbnails For Your Site

    Greetz
    |Nico Lawsons

  4. #4
    stickycarrots's Avatar
    stickycarrots is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    QuickInbox.com
    Posts
    753
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 86 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Excellent service. The only suggestion that I have... Is that you center the design (i.e. use percentages, instead of fixed widths).
    Typically that is how I do all of my designs, but I wanted to try something different
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarezz View Post
    It's very cool, but I'm asking myself atm why people don't copy the link, and just put 'preview' between the http:// & .tinyurl.com, it gives a preview of the link too

    What you could do to make it more special, is post a screenshot of the website after it is 'checked'. Otherwise I don't see many benefits of using this site instead of using the subdomain preview... The preview can be done by websnapr - Website Thumbnails For Your Site

    Greetz
    A lot of people do not know about the preview feature on TinyURL and those are the people I am trying to target. This site could come in handy for a lot of Twitter users considering TinyURL is the default short url site on there.

    Instant Messenger Bot
    I developed a simple AOL Instant Messenger Bot last night that does the same thing as ShowTinyURL does. Send him an IM with a TinyURL link and he'll tell you where it redirects to

    The screenname of course is ShowTinyURL.

    I will be offering this bot on most popular IM clients.

    edit
    I now have a bot on MSN to. IM bot@showtinyurl.com

  5. #5
    Charles's Avatar
    Charles is offline Senior Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    On the Bike
    Posts
    1,211
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 311 Times in 212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stickycarrots View Post
    Typically that is how I do all of my designs, but I wanted to try something different
    That something different doesn't seem to work on a large screen.

  6. #6
    stickycarrots's Avatar
    stickycarrots is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    QuickInbox.com
    Posts
    753
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 86 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    That something different doesn't seem to work on a large screen.
    I have 1680x1050 resolution and it looks fine. It's just not centered.

    I am going to be adding screenshots to the results in a minute

  7. #7
    Desan is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    469
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 52 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stickycarrots View Post

    I've developed Show TinyURL, a site you can use to find where a TinyURL link redirects to:
    Show TinyURL - Show Where a TinyURL Redirects
    Is something wron with the links? It says server not found, for me.

  8. #8
    stickycarrots's Avatar
    stickycarrots is offline Experienced Net Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    QuickInbox.com
    Posts
    753
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 86 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desan View Post
    Is something wron with the links? It says server not found, for me.
    Answer posted here.

  9. #9
    Desan is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    469
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 52 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stickycarrots View Post
    Answer posted here.
    I know. I rode that already.

Similar Threads

  1. [WTH] PHP Coder to Build Me Fairly Simple Site
    By Zash in forum Scripts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26 January, 2010, 10:37 AM
  2. [Free] EcoSummer – Free AJAX powered wordpress theme
    By badmash in forum Themes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23 November, 2009, 06:35 AM
  3. [WTS] Shorty.im - Tinyurl Site - Buy Now
    By Soulzripper in forum Sites
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6 August, 2009, 18:40 PM
  4. [WTT] Web Hosting Services for a Simple Site
    By bhartzer in forum Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11 June, 2009, 21:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •