Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Four alternatives to no-follow sculpting

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Four alternatives to no-follow sculpting

    This is an interesting response to the Google decision to stop recognizing pagerank sculpting using no-follows. The author lists some odd but possibly workable alternatives to sculpting with no-follows.

    Note, I'd still take this with a grain of salt. The Google crawler has been capable of parsing JavaScript for quite a while so I'd definitely chuck that suggestion.

    Here's the article:

    Alternatives to nofollow for PageRank Sculpting - SEO and Internet Marketing blog, news and views
    Last edited by m42; 27 June, 2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Re-added words I deleted while editing earlier. d'oh!
    (

    Diet Fads

  2. #2
    May be im not getting it, but is it like google stopped Nofollow tag? i mean every links is a dofollow from now on? Im confused, correct me if im wrong.
    Custom Wordpress Themer
    - Wordpress Portals & themes -

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
    May be im not getting it, but is it like google stopped Nofollow tag? i mean every links is a dofollow from now on? Im confused, correct me if im wrong.
    Sorry, no. They've stopped allowing PR sculpting using no-follows. no-follows now waste PR.
    Last edited by m42; 27 June, 2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Will beat some sense into me.
    (

    Diet Fads

  4. #4

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by m42 View Post
    Sorry, no. They've stopped allowing PR sculpting using no-follows. no-follows now waste PR.
    Alright, that means High PR Nofollow links will pass PR juice now as well?
    Last edited by m42; 27 June, 2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: consistency.
    Custom Wordpress Themer
    - Wordpress Portals & themes -

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
    Alright, that means High PR Nofollow links will pass PR juice now as well?
    nofollow links still don't pass PageRank.

    This difference is what happens to the PageRank now.

    Lets say you have a PR5 page with ten outbound links -- 5 normal links and 5 nofollow links.

    When nofollow was originally implemented, the PageRank your page had to "give" was divided between the five normal links. Each of those five pages would get one "point" of PageRank.

    Now, Google divides the PageRank by all ten outbound links. So, each of the five normal links gives one-half of a "point" of PR. The PR that would normally go to the nofollow links just evaporates. It doesn't go and it doesn't stay -- it just disappears.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
    Alright, that means High PR Nofollow links will pass PR juice now as well?
    Nope..What it means is that G is cutting down prioritising certain pages of your blog to give them more PR aka the homepage, landing pages. An older SEO tactic was to make all links no-follow on these pages and get links from other pages onto those pages so that they get maximum link juice. In addition, there was a trend where in a lot of bloggers gave a no-follow tag to most in-content links in the homepage so as to ensure that the homepage doesnt leak PR. Good move by G if you ask me..if you cant trust your content enough and assign all links in it as no-follow, how do you expect to take your site seriously.

    Note:- Like most things in SEO, there are bound to be exceptions to this.

  7. #7
    Yet I think Google is weighting those no-follow links a lot more than they disclaim, specially when they're calculating SERPS.

    I didn't have the time yet to test things and write down some data, but I have a few sites that managed to jump loads of positions after getting them listed at the Wikipedia for example.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    Yet I think Google is weighting those no-follow links a lot more than they disclaim, specially when they're calculating SERPS.

    I didn't have the time yet to test things and write down some data, but I have a few sites that managed to jump loads of positions after getting them listed at the Wikipedia for example.
    Matt Cutts claimed earlier this month that no-follows do not pass page rank.
    (

    Diet Fads

  9. #9
    Yes, I know they don't pass PR, but they pass whatever that helps your SERPs.

    I have one page at one of my websites (portuguese website) that has only 1 backlink (from a wikipedia page); I rank #1 @ Google for its main keyword, and you bet there's competition for it (health related keyword).

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
    Yes, I know they don't pass PR, but they pass whatever that helps your SERPs.

    I have one page at one of my websites (portuguese website) that has only 1 backlink (from a wikipedia page); I rank #1 @ Google for its main keyword, and you bet there's competition for it (health related keyword).
    That's good to know. So even if no follow links don't pass PR you still get something out of it. The question is what to call that something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Copyscape Alternatives
    By Will.Spencer in forum Content and Writing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23 September, 2011, 03:07 AM
  2. Alternatives to Skype
    By Trunk in forum Tech-Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28 July, 2010, 10:47 AM
  3. Sculpting SEO with Nofollow Tag
    By Franc Tireur in forum On-Site SEO
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27 July, 2010, 18:58 PM
  4. Things to Avoid While Sculpting Pagerank
    By ruben in forum Search Engine News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10 November, 2009, 16:12 PM
  5. Paypal Alternatives
    By Forsaken in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23 July, 2009, 09:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •