Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Writing content for a topic with two names

  1. #1
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts

    Writing content for a topic with two names

    I am starting to add articles to the fish section of my website. My problem is that people search for content using both fish tank and aquarium in their search phrases.

    For example:

    How to keep your fish tank cool

    and

    How to keep your aquarium cool

    As you can see there are two different words but they both have the same meaning.

    The easiest thing would be to find out what gets the most searches and stick with that, however I am greedy and want traffic from both searches

    Also, having an articles names How to keep your aquarium/fish tank cool would get annoying for users browsing the site because it is basically repeating the same thing twice.

    I am not sure what to do and I would appreciate anyone's help.

    Thanks.

    GameOver

  2. #2
    Will.Spencer's Avatar
    Will.Spencer is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,010
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,259 Posts
    That's not just a problem for you, that's a problem for search technology itself.

    Unfortunately, if you optimize your page for one term you automatically de-optimize it for other terms.

    Sure, you can have multiple h2 tags and lots of body text -- but you can only have one title tag and you should only have one h1 tag.

    You can build links to the page with both keywords as anchor text, but that's doesn't give you the multiplicative advantage of good on-page SEO.

    Really, you should have two pages -- one optimized for each keyword. But, of course, that means you have to link build to two pages. This isn't such an issue these days because Google puts so much weight on domain authority. Building links to any page on your site is good for every page on your site.

    I once built a whole web site just by changing one word -- across the entire site. I bought a script and changed it from optimizing for a high-volume high-competition term to optimizing for a medium-volume low-competition term.

    The web site cost me a domain registration fee and $25 for the script. I think I've probably spent $40 on article marketing for it also. It's made $230.49 in the last year and it just keeps slowly cranking out the revenue with no additional effort on my part. Thats good RoI.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  3. Thanked by:

    GameOver (8 May, 2009), Shenron (8 May, 2009)

  4. #3
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Spencer View Post
    That's not just a problem for you, that's a problem for search technology itself.

    Unfortunately, if you optimize your page for one term you automatically de-optimize it for other terms.

    Sure, you can have multiple h2 tags and lots of body text -- but you can only have one title tag and you should only have one h1 tag.

    You can build links to the page with both keywords as anchor text, but that's doesn't give you the multiplicative advantage of good on-page SEO.

    Really, you should have two pages -- one optimized for each keyword. But, of course, that means you have to link build to two pages. This isn't such an issue these days because Google puts so much weight on domain authority. Building links to any page on your site is good for every page on your site.

    I once built a whole web site just by changing one word -- across the entire site. I bought a script and changed it from optimizing for a high-volume high-competition term to optimizing for a medium-volume low-competition term.

    The web site cost me a domain registration fee and $25 for the script. I think I've probably spent $40 on article marketing for it also. It's made $230.49 in the last year and it just keeps slowly cranking out the revenue with no additional effort on my part. Thats good RoI.
    Thanks for your response Will

    I have not come to any conclusions yet but I am thinking that I will use a single term for my main pet website and then create a separate domain for the other term, hire a article rewriter to rewrite all the content and brand that website as a "petbetter website" which will be good promotion for my main website.

  5. #4
    Mafiamaster's Avatar
    Mafiamaster is offline Newbie Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
    Another route you could go is create two separate articles that are actually describing two separate things. I'm sure you're saying "you sound crazy." I get that a lot. Let me explain...

    When I think of a fish tank, I think of one of those small, throw a couple gold fish in and call it a day type of tanks. When I think of an aquarium, I think of one of those much larger units with the larger fish. Would you keep both types of tanks cool the same way? Maybe to keep a fish tank cool, you'd just keep it away from large amounts of sun; however, to keep an aquarium clean, you need to actually have a cooling system?

    By differentiating the articles and then linking to each one separately with the two different keywords, it'll do what you want. At least, that's what I'd do. People can say I'm crazy, though.

  6. Thanked by:

    GameOver (9 May, 2009)

  7. #5
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafiamaster View Post
    Another route you could go is create two separate articles that are actually describing two separate things. I'm sure you're saying "you sound crazy." I get that a lot. Let me explain...

    When I think of a fish tank, I think of one of those small, throw a couple gold fish in and call it a day type of tanks. When I think of an aquarium, I think of one of those much larger units with the larger fish. Would you keep both types of tanks cool the same way? Maybe to keep a fish tank cool, you'd just keep it away from large amounts of sun; however, to keep an aquarium clean, you need to actually have a cooling system?

    By differentiating the articles and then linking to each one separately with the two different keywords, it'll do what you want. At least, that's what I'd do. People can say I'm crazy, though.
    That is an interesting idea, but I still believe a lot of the content would overlap.

  8. #6
    dtkguy's Avatar
    dtkguy is offline Still Learnin'
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    391
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 164 Times in 108 Posts
    I'd say think of your user base, are you targeting the novice, or the more experienced pet owner?

    I'm a big fishaholic I've got a thousand gallons of water to back me up on that, haha. When I search for fish related things I'll use aquarium or sometimes aquatic habitat (because when you've got as much water around as me, it's pretty much a habitat, heh).

    So keep that in mind. Though I'd never search for "how to keep * cool". I'm all about neo-tropical, I'm looking for warmth

    But you could also try to target both in the article. Find which is most searched for, use that as the title and h1, but also use the other throughout the body of the article for content matches etc..

    Cheers!

  9. Thanked by:

    GameOver (9 May, 2009)

  10. #7
    GameOver's Avatar
    GameOver is offline Net Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtkguy View Post
    I'd say think of your user base, are you targeting the novice, or the more experienced pet owner?
    I'm targeting everyone because that = more (lol, I'll never get anywhere with that attitude )

    I have decided to mainly target "Aquarium" for now. I will target the other term at some other time, possibly on some other website.

Similar Threads

  1. [WTS] Article and content writing
    By suejeff in forum Services
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17 March, 2010, 02:04 AM
  2. [WTS] Content Writing Services
    By gavenecko in forum Services
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4 January, 2010, 11:26 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30 September, 2009, 00:57 AM
  4. [WTS] Content Writing Services
    By gavenecko in forum Services
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27 August, 2009, 18:14 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27 May, 2009, 07:03 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •