Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Google Webmaster Tools Never Forgets

Hybrid View

  1. Google Webmaster Tools Never Forgets

    I've been playing with Google Profiles.

    I was very curious that they were able to auto-connect 82 web sites to my profile. Why these 82? I own more than ten times that many web sites, and I don't own many of the web sites listed any longer.

    Google claims to use social graphs to generate the my links data.

    The reality though, is far more simple. Every site they listed is one that I had put into Google Webmaster Tools at one time -- even though they are not currently listed in Google Webmaster Tools.

    This is damning evidence that, once you add a site to Google Webmaster Tools, Google remembers it long after you delete it.

    However, I may have found a partial way out. Not every site which I ever added to GWT was listed. My guess is that sites which were later added to GWT by other owners have been removed. I can test that by creating a second GWT account and verifying some of the sites through that account. Unfortunately, I do not own some of these sites any longer, and can therefore not use that trick to remove all of the "dead" sites.

    The net effect of this is that some sites which I no longer own are still on "my record" at Google. I believe that I will be far more careful about adding sites to Google Webmaster Tools in the future.
    Submit Your Webmaster Related Sites to the NB Directory
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

  2. #2
    Wow, who would of known. I thought once I remove a site, its permanently gone with no record left behind. I guess that's not true now.

  3. Yes so much about the whole "Dont be evil" mantra...as Jobs said "its bulls**t"

  4. #4
    Hi,

    My uneducated guess is by putting your sites in tools make it easier for them to see if you are cross linking to your own sites. The more info you give them the more it can work for you or against you.

    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,797
    This is very true, Sami.

    People give Google a ton of information and don't realize how that can eventually count against them in a number of ways! Unfortunately, Google puts us in a position where we need to give them some information in order to learn more about how our efforts are paying off - and that's the vicious cycle us webmasters are locked in.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovich View Post
    This is very true, Sami.

    People give Google a ton of information and don't realize how that can eventually count against them in a number of ways! Unfortunately, Google puts us in a position where we need to give them some information in order to learn more about how our efforts are paying off - and that's the vicious cycle us webmasters are locked in.
    Hi,

    I was trying to find out ideas around them with this post.

    http://www.netbuilders.org/promoting...ers-14063.html

    Sami
    Current Celebrity Gossip Movies & More TV Site
    Find out how I'm able to get up to 420 backlinks for month, by spending 30 seconds per day...all for FREE! - Click Here

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami4u View Post
    Hi,

    I was trying to find out ideas around them with this post.

    http://www.netbuilders.org/promoting...ers-14063.html

    Sami
    I'll take a look at that thread.

    I'm thinking that we, as webmasters, should also try and invest some effort into other search engines like Yahoo! and Bing. While they may not be too valuable now, we never know what the future will hold. So, if they do start getting a higher market share, at least we're already ranking well with them. I just wouldn't know where to start to target a specific SE.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,772
    I don't have a webmasters account or use gmail. Google already collects enough information via the toolbar and adsense. Why give them even more? Especially when you have no means to update the information or correct it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kovich View Post

    I'm thinking that we, as webmasters, should also try and invest some effort into other search engines like Yahoo! and Bing. While they may not be too valuable now, we never know what the future will hold. So, if they do start getting a higher market share, at least we're already ranking well with them. I just wouldn't know where to start to target a specific SE.
    Bing is gaining market share at the expense of Google and worth some effort.

    For more information: http://www.netbuilders.org/search-en...ngs-15365.html

  9. Forget about 1984 and George Orwel
    Big brother,ups i mean Google,rules the world today

  10. #10
    Yeah, I've been seriously thinking about starting to get rid of my google based stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. Strange Keywords in Google Webmaster Tools
    By Zash in forum Keyword Research
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9 July, 2012, 11:26 AM
  2. New Stuff in Google Webmaster Tools
    By Snak3 in forum Managing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25 November, 2009, 21:58 PM
  3. Do you use Google Webmaster Tools?
    By irahat in forum Promoting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26 August, 2009, 13:09 PM
  4. Google Webmaster Tools: Setting Crawl Rate
    By tmongy in forum Managing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27 January, 2009, 11:21 AM
  5. google webmaster tools question
    By writtenstyle.com in forum Building
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18 January, 2009, 07:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •